2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I recieved the "mazda 3" door sills. I order from here this seller on ebay:
2004-2010 Mazda 3 Stainless Steel Scuff Plate/Door Sill - eBay (item 120674447845 end time Mar-21-11 21:48:10 PDT)

When I opened it I found that they had supplied me with alot of 3M tape. I ran into a problem when I saw that one of the tapes does not reach to the ground when I press down on the sill. The reason behind that is that one of the walls is preventing the 3M tape from reaching any surface. I tried to take a picture to show you guys what I am talking about. The tape closest in the picture reaches just fine, the tape in the back cannot reach any surface. What do you guys recommend to do? Add another layer on top of the existing tape?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
LOL. I bought the same one's off Ebay except they were from a different seller (happyongab). They were such cheap looking ill fitting pieces of shit I threw mine in the garbage rather than cheapen the look of my car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
warlord:

are the door sills not a good buy? i wanted some but after seeing this i dont think i do.

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The outside of them looks good and all. I was just really disappointed how shitty the underside of it is...
I'll just have to add more tape. They supplied me with like 3 rolls of 3M tape so I guess thats what they were thinking lol. Gotta love China products.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
warlord:

are the door sills not a good buy? i wanted some but after seeing this i dont think i do.
They are garbage. That's why they ended up in the trash bin. There's absolutly no redeeming value to crap like that.

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sure you had the same ones? I just found that if you slide the sill down towards the doors it fits alot better. The longer wall seems to grasp onto the side and it actually lays flat. I'll see how it looks, worst case scenario I'll just have to peel them off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was looking into getting the exact one I saw on Ebay

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I ordered mine off of eBay and they appear the same ones. I installed them a while back and shortly after installation I noticed that they were lifting (no matter how much pressure I used and for how long I applied the pressure). They constantly rebounded and did not remain adhered to the sill.

At first, I tried to take a wide flat pair of aluminum benders and bend the lip down slightly, but it didn't work all that well. I needed another option.

As others have mentioned, I used more tape. I purchased a roll off of amazon (Scotch Outdoor Permanent Mounting Tape 1"x450"). I would spend the money upfront and buy the large roll. I made the mistake of purchasing a couple of the smaller rolls, thinking they would be enough (Lowes - $6.00 each) and ended up having just enough to use for the back pair. I didn't realize how many layers it requires to bring the bottom up to the lips on the underside of the sill plate. The large roll should be enough to do all the sill plates and is much cheaper than buying multiple smaller rolls.

Hope this helps. I do still notice that it lifts slightly on the contours/curves of the door sill. Not lifting as much as it did before and it is not really noticeable. They are nice and add a touch of class to the vehicle, but when you need to spend another $20 to adhere them, you should probably immediately factor this purchase into the price of the sill plates.

After they lifted the first time, I did email the seller (I can't recall who it was), but their response was that they haven't had any other people with this issue. Not sure if this was their canned response, but I figured that I would make do with what I had.

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the response bud. So I assume you had the sills edge hanging off a bit correct? Yeah I am gonna have to get a bit crafty with the tape and definetely by some more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hahahah, I got mine yesterday, and threw them in the garbage like warlord did. They are good from the top side, and underside just... not worth installing it. And it smells weird. Going to spend more on another set I found on eBay that looks of a higher quality.

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what's the link to them?

·
Registered
80 Posts
ya post a link! id rather not get stuck with trash. thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
How about Mazda releases their own version?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same issue.. i ended up adding more tape, like 3 to 4 more layers
+1 there is a bit of finesse required to bend just the right amount of curve for the rear doors, but that combined with a ton extra 3M tape makes them pretty awesome. I put mine on in the fall and they lasted the winter no problem.

have gotten quite a few compliments too!

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I looked at those...for a minute then quickly hit the back button. They look ok but the mounting looked as crappy as others are describing it as. Think I'll wait till OEM prices come down. Anyone got info on better quality stuff than the ebay stuff but cheaper than OEM?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How much is the OEM one anyways? I don't see them on Mazda's website.

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
+1 there is a bit of finesse required to bend just the right amount of curve for the rear doors, but that combined with a ton extra 3M tape makes them pretty awesome. I put mine on in the fall and they lasted the winter no problem.

have gotten quite a few compliments too!
I agree with ya. They do look good but they require a good amount of work and effort to mount them which in fact is really shitty :argh 1:

·
Nie brykaj...
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I finally installed these sills. Here's my conclusion:

-Something that should take 15min to install took me almost 2 hrs.
-The surface of them looks good, underneath it is complete shit in terms of 3M tape and attachment method.
- Who ever did the design on the backside is a complete moron and should be shot! :asshole:

They do look good but it took a lot of time to install. Firstly I had to flatten out the edges of the sills. Since they were made of alluminum they were fairly easy to bend. I put the edges on a hard surface, heated the crap out of them with a hair dry and shapped them to fit. For the tape part I ended up going to auto zone and buying 3M 1/2 inch wide tape. I put 3 layers of tape on the side with the longer wall and two on the other wall. Near the outside of the sills where I didn't have tape, I cut small pieces and rolled them up. Then I would stuff them around the edges making sure that all the surface was cover with the tape. I attached the sills by having the edge hang off a little bit. The rear sills were not a problem. Did the same amount of layers of tape for the rear sills as well. After attaching them I pressed on them with my feet while my brother heated the sills. I noticed that they formed to the shape of the door frame pretty well.

DO NOT BUY THESE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE TIME AND PATIENCE TO INSTALL THEM. I would not recommend them, too much work for something that should be so simple. They look nice but I wouldn't go through the process to install them again.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts