2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New '17 with Bose. I've spent thousands on car audio in previous vehicles but I'm not going that way in this car. I'm adequately happy with the stock system (for what it is) - just looking to replace the dash speakers at this point to bring out some treble that I find lacking and see how that balances out the sound. A birthday present to myself...

From the research I've done the dash speakers are ~3 / 3.5 ohm.

From reading around I think I've narrowed down the options to choices from JBL and Infinity.

JBL GTO 329 has peaked my interest because of the tweeter design - full edge-driven soft dome. But it looks like it protrudes more than the balanced domes on the Infinity or other manufacturer designs.

Wondering if the tweeters fit under the grill covers on the dash or if there's interference. I've read of CX-5 people using them without issues but not sure if that translates to the 3.

Thoughts / opinions? All are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
I made a guide with pics on replacing the dash speakers
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2016-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/172802-bose-upgrading-dash-speakers-almost-plug-play.html

The speakers I used protrude higher than the stock and I had absolutely no clearance issues with the grill

Also, the OEM Bose dash speakers are exactly 4 ohm, not 3-3.5 ohms like you read
I verified this myself with a voltmeter
That means just about any 3.5 speaker out there will work perfectly since they're all mostly 4 ohm as well
The door woofers are the ones with the weird ohm ratings at 1 or 2 from another poster on here, he shows a picture with his own ohm reading
I'm not sure what the rear door speakers are, but they are just midrange so they might have conventional ohm ratings
The rear 3.5's are the same as the fronts so they can also be replaced with aftermarket, but you can hardly hear them I don't know if it would even be worth it

Reactions: Studum

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen that thread, thanks.

I'm not concerned with anything other than the front dash speakers at this point. Step 1 for me is the dash speakers.

I know the standard 6 speaker system had 4 ohm tweeters there, but I really thought the Bose speakers were lower rated. If they truly are 4 ohm it will certainly open up the options.

I went around a few local shops this afternoon and 3.5" are really few and far between these days. Other than the Infinity / JBL's mentioned above (which no one had) all I found were Kicker KS series, the JL C2 series, and one shop had a pair of new old stock Infinity Kappa 3.5's on hand for a reasonable price.

I actually almost scooped those up on the spot, and may go back, but they had a profile with the plastic ring very similar to the JBL's that I wasn't sure of height wise so I held off. Those are also rated 2 ohm.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I was smarter earlier in the day I would've thought to look in the service manual to confirm the speaker impedance as I was confused over it.

As you mentioned, with this confirmed this opens the choices up to pretty much anything 3-4 ohm. I had to dig in more based on what I read vs what was told in the shops and by you. As per usual, informed message board folks prevail.

The kappas I found locally are probably too low rated now that I know this for sure. But I guess I can guilt free go with the JL's if I really want to despite their lower sensitivity. Hmm... decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the help @Valor_X

Attachments

Reactions: Valor_X
1 - 4 of 4 Posts