2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone,

I just got my 2014 hatchback (up from a 1999 Protégé) last week and I was wondering if anyone here has tried the Cargo Storage Shelf yet.

It seems like an interesting idea, but I'm wondering how much it might interfere with the cargo lid when closed.

So please let me know your opinions about it.

Thanks!

-Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have it. It's a cool idea. I've already had to take it out a couple times to transport something. Other than attaching an umbrella I don't have much to use with it yet.

Cons:
1) It installs with velco, which to me was a little cheap and disappointing.
2) It almost completely blocks the light in the hatch.

It doesn't interfere with the cargo lid really. The lid just rests on top of it.

I can and probably will mod around the light issue, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I was thinking about getting one too but since I have a cargo organizer thing already the tray might make it a bit cumbersome to reach it. This is the thing I have in my trunk (pic of my previous car)

Yeah it is a cool idea, but don't think it's worth the $100'ish they wanted for it =/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nitsuj! :smiley: I really appreciate your take on the cargo shelf.

I think I'll see how the back fills (or doesn't fill) up and make a decision a bit later on.

Thanks again!

-Bob

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I have one and don't like it at all. Not only does it block the light, but I even have to remove it when I buy groceries. If you want mine, let me know. I never installed it fully but wanted to try it first. In addition, I find that I don't have much to store back there. Why did I buy it in the first place? It looked like a good idea in the pictures!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ordered one when I bought the car and am waiting for it to be delivered. I'm kind of regretting after reading this thread, but I'll let y'all know how it works out for us. Thanks!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was thinking about getting one too but since I have a cargo organizer thing already the tray might make it a bit cumbersome to reach it. This is the thing I have in my trunk (pic of my previous car)

Yeah it is a cool idea, but don't think it's worth the $100'ish they wanted for it =/
I have that one you have. Kinda creaky but works ok

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have that one you have. Kinda creaky but works ok
seriously? its a storage dealy. is there ANYTHING you actually like?

On topic, I had never seen this thing but it seems pretty useless. What is it intended for? Selling tacos out of the back? a small buffet for camping trips?

·
Registered
136 Posts

On topic, I had never seen this thing but it seems pretty useless. What is it intended for? Selling tacos out of the back? a small buffet for camping trips?
:cheesy:

I'd think the ideal use for such a cargo organizer would be if you had a variety of smaller items you carried in the back that could be sorted for easier access.

For example, if you had beef tacos and chicken tacos, without an organizer, you'd need to check your jumbled pile of tacos each time. Split into beef and chicken piles in an organizer, though, and you're saving time!

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
Got ours thrown in with the car, as well as the rubber boot mat. The idea was to keep stuff like wellies in it, as long as they fit, as the better half's dad has two farms, they come in handy, and I imagine it would be easy to clean mud and cow/sheep shit out. Will let you know once we get that far.

·
Registered
269 Posts

It was helpful when transporting some pies for thanks giving. Other than that I've never used mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You could keep a small tool kit, a road side emergency kit, and a pie :p
a small tool kit beyond what is provided and a first aid kit could both fit in the factory spare storeage area.

I really dont know what i would hold in there.

Maybe my phone when I don't feel like holding it anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts