2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone 2014 M3 switched to Ford XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid ?

After 20,000 miles, mile 6 speed manual still has little bit of grind going to 2nd gear and going to 5th gear even after adjusting as shown on TSB.

It seems that the Ford XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid cures all grinding with Mazda's Manual Transmission espcially in Miata.

Amazon has it for $26 / Quart: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-M5-QS-Synthetic-Transmission/dp/B000NUES82/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1415554052&sr=8-3&keywords=ford+gear+oil[/ame]

Just curious, is anyone using Ford XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid in their 2014?

Has it made it smoother shifting?

How many quarts do I need. 2 or 3 ?

Thanks

Waid

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lots of Mazda 3 owners are using it but just wondering if anyone with 2014 Mazda 3 are using it.

I would have thought the Mazda would have fix the issues with 2014 modes.

Is the Skyactive 6-Speed M/T new for 2014 ?

Who makes the 2014 6-Speed M/T ?

Thanks

Waid

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used to have pretty bad grind at highway speeds in my GTR going into 4th and 5th gear. I had to double clutch to avoid it. Switched from Royal Purple 75W90 to Redline Shockproof Lightweight and never had grinding again. Very popular gear oil among the Skyline crowd.

Double check with your dealer/owners manual to make sure whatever you're putting into your tranny doesn't void your warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to have pretty bad grind at highway speeds in my GTR going into 4th and 5th gear. I had to double clutch to avoid it. Switched from Royal Purple 75W90 to Redline Shockproof Lightweight and never had grinding again. Very popular gear oil among the Skyline crowd.

Double check with your dealer/owners manual to make sure whatever you're putting into your tranny doesn't void your warranty.
Are you using the Ford gear oil in you 14 Mazda 3 ?

Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I put the Ford gear oil in my 2014 Mazda 3. After over 500 miles, I dont see any difference. Going from 1st to 2nd is still not smooth. Sometimes from 4th to 5th is not smooth as well :(

Waid

·
Registered
371 Posts
Anyone else have any input on how to make shifting more smoother?

A friend suggested GM Synchromesh but, not sure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For me, and my specific car, the clutch pedal disengages very high as in you barely have to push the clutch pedal to shift. When people who are used to driving other manuals try to drive my car their shifts are terrible and the whole car jerks.

What I've learned to do is start moving the shift knob towards the next gear just before you press the clutch pedal, then press the clutch just enough to pull the transmission out of gear - don't push the pedal to the floor, then shift extremely fast, and depress the clutch very fast. With a little finesse and adjusting the shifts will be a lot smoother. You can adjust the clutch pedal to disengage where you want but I just got used to the very high disengagement.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We also have a floor mount accelerator, try to keep your toe as high on the accelerator to get more leverage on the pedal. I also keep my heel under the accelerator and not under the brake, I can downshift and rev match perfectly this way as we well as upshift and brake easily.

I'm coming from a manual with a low disengaging clutch and a hanging accelerator. Took a few weeks to master smooth shifting in the 3, but whatever you're doing that makes the transmission not shift smoothly, switch it up and see how it goes.

I'd also love feedback on the previous post shift method, and whether it smoothens up your shift.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm not sure what to do anymore, my rough shifting is primarily from not being able to get into gear smoothly. It feels like there's something in the way when I'm shifting into any gear. I had my transmission replaced once through warranty (not sure though, that's what the dealer said, I can attach my invoice if anyone wants to clarify for me).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would check your clutch and shift linkage. I'm surprised the dealer swapped a Japanese made transmission before ruling out everything else.

·
Registered
371 Posts
bumping to see if anyone else has additional information!

i'm going to see my dealer Saturday for the ecu recall and to make them check my trans again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts