2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says. This was always one of the first mods done on the old Golf Mk IVs since their whip antennas make them look like bumper cars. The one on mine is oddly ribbed. I'm guessing because they had to make something look ugly on this car? Wanted to make it look ugly enough to not get stolen?

Any way, has anyone replaced theirs?

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
shark fin ftw, mine came with it thankfully, i highly recommend it :)

Reactions: Chimphappyhour

·
Registered
67 Posts
Done it on other cars, if anything the shark fin might get less signal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw a cool blade antenna (it's actually called blaid) but I'm thinking it would be stolen in a matter of minutes. Also saw a 50 cal bullet antenna and thought the same would happen with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, some searching found that a shark fin in general is going to drop a bit of reception if anything. There are some "upgrades" but they are longer whip antennae usually and not very visually appealing.
Think I might get a "stubby" antennae at some point but I have many more things to care about first

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, not really sure how concerned I am about signal. In the 12 years I had my Element, I never put the antenna on it. It stayed in the glove box the whole time. I didn't listen to the radio much but when I did, I still had really good reception. Not had an HD radio before though. Not sure how much it would change reception going with a stubby but that's my thought too. Something that looks a bit better but won't be an item for instant theft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts