2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Anyone know how to enable Online traffic?

10K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TVBassist 
#1 ·
Anyone enable or know how to enable Online traffic? Another issue is for the second time “my favorites” music stations have been deleted. I think this happens when the system reboots itself, which seems to be often.

#3 ·
It works with iPhone's personal hotspot but it sometimes takes a long time to reconnect. It may be an iPhone issue...
I've decided to get a Freedompop Overdrive Pro Mifi (4G/3G) device to keep it dedicated in the car.
It costs $3.99/mo for 500 MB of data to get the additional 3G coverage, but I think it will be worth it.
I don't expect the live traffic/weather/gas prices/local search to exceed 500 MB data.
The idea is to power it up using the USB port and not the internal battery so that when the car shuts down it would power-off. Draw-back is that I would have to turn it on each time I start the car.
Another option is to leave it plugged in the USB with the internal battery and have it in standby mode (which should last 30 hrs).
Once I've tested and it works I'll give you guys a heads up.

#4 ·
Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on the Freedompop once you get it set up. It sounds like a workable solution.

I think you're right, about the bandwidth needed not being >500mb/month, but I'd also be interested in hearing how much data you actually do use over the course of, say, a week.

Thanks!

#6 ·
I used my iPad as a hotspot for wifi, and the traffic updates have been a bit slow. I wish the weather was a bit more dynamic. I was able to call it up and look at the weather across my whole 480 mile drive before I headed out, but once I started driving there were no updates and the weather was grayed out until I stopped again.

I've used it a couple of times in Tulsa, and it popped up once and said it was going to re-route me because of a traffic issue.

#7 ·
I used my iPad as a hotspot for wifi, and the traffic updates have been a bit slow. I wish the weather was a bit more dynamic. I was able to call it up and look at the weather across my whole 480 mile drive before I headed out, but once I started driving there were no updates and the weather was grayed out until I stopped again.

I've used it a couple of times in Tulsa, and it popped up once and said it was going to re-route me because of a traffic issue.
Wow, this makes the $70/year for connected features even more of a rip off. If it wont update while driving you might as well just check on your smart phone.

#8 ·
in 2014 you are going to see a push from telecom providers to start marketing in-car internet service via hotspots, etc.

I work in telecom and it is a trend I see coming, I know big companies are starting to get this into the public venue. Which only makes sense when you think about it, since car companies are annually releasing cars with more and more connected technology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.