2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Supposed to install and work with manual transmission?
Product Highlights:

remote start system
works in select 2013-up Mazda vehicles with push-to-start
requires FLU-100.2 Flash Link Updater (#938FLU1002) for programming
vehicle-specific harness included
uses factory key to start vehicle remotely
also controls factory security basic functions
remote start function is for fuel injected, diesel, and hybrid vehicles with automatic transmissions only
warranty: 1 year

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know it says Auto only on the front page, but the THAR-ONE-MAZ2 harness it comes with is specifically designed for the manual transmissions. It has a clutch bypass wire. I know what is advertised, I'm just wondering if anyone here has installed one.

Compatibility: The EVO-ONE-MAZ2 is currently compatible with some 31 vehicles, including select 2013-17 push-to-start Mazda 3 (manual and automatic), 6 (manual and automatic), CX-3 (automatic), CX-5 (manual and automatic), and MX-5 Miata (automatic). Click here to see if your vehicle is compatible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know it says Auto only on the front page, but the THAR-ONE-MAZ2 harness it comes with is specifically designed for the manual transmissions. It has a clutch bypass wire. I know what is advertised, I'm just wondering if anyone here has installed one.
Gotcha, my bad. Crutchfield needs to do some product highlight editing. But their return policy and customer service is supposedly Bed, Bath, and Beyond-like. Someone should take one for the team and if unsatisfied, activate their 60-day money-back guarantee policy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm hoping. It looks like it's plug and play with that t-harness. Just have to mount hood pin, LED and tap into 2 wires. It does state that the engine shuts off when the door is opened, but I can live with that. If it is truly as easy to install as it looks, I'm going to get one, unless someone here had a bad experience.

·
Registered
82 Posts
^ So you push the remote to start the car, let it warm up, and then when you enter the car by opening the door, the engine shuts off? Not a huge minus as you can just push to start again and the cabin and engine are already warmed up, but then again, it's not exactly a smooth transaction either is it?

I guess if you're in a frosty environment and in need of a warmed up car then it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ So you push the remote to start the car, let it warm up, and then when you enter the car by opening the door, the engine shuts off? Not a huge minus as you can just push to start again and the cabin and engine are already warmed up, but then again, it's not exactly a smooth transaction either is it?

I guess if you're in a frosty environment and in need of a warmed up car then it's better than nothing.
I'm in Las Vegas, so pre-cooling is more on the agenda.

The documentation says it does shut off when the door is opened, but looking at the options in the programmer, it looks like that can be overridden. Thats one of the things I was hoping to find out here.

I did find this on another forum.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123852416-Fortin-EVO-MAZT1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told by a remote starter installer that the fact that the car shuts off when the door is opened is something that Mazda has put in place and is not controllable by the remote starter. While selecting the option on that remote starter may work on some cars, I would not expect it to work on the Mazda 3. This is based on feedback that I received from 3 different shops in my area (one was the local Mazda dealer, and the other 2 were independent stereo/remote starter installers).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
My neighbor's Subaru Legacy has a remote start. I caught him today leaving his place to ask him how he liked it and he loves it. When he opened the car door, the engine shut off and he had to restart it. So yup, I guess it's standard procedure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nope definitely not standard to shut the engine off when you open the door.....Thats pretty lame IMO. And not a security feature either. What it should do instead (what others do) is when you hit remote start it starts the engine AND locks the doors. You walk up, unlock, and turn key+hit brake to switch to normal mode (engine stays running).

Let us know how it goes if you end up buying it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took me a while to make my decision, but I finally ordered one today. I will try to document the install to show how easy or not so easy it is and I'll take some video of how it works with our 3's once it's all done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nope definitely not standard to shut the engine off when you open the door.....Thats pretty lame IMO. And not a security feature either. What it should do instead (what others do) is when you hit remote start it starts the engine AND locks the doors. You walk up, unlock, and turn key+hit brake to switch to normal mode (engine stays running).

Let us know how it goes if you end up buying it.
This is how my Sorento works, but you only have 30seconds to hit the brake/push start button after you unlock the doors.

I have the mazda oem remote start and it's really not a big deal that it shuts off the engine when you open the doors. The car is warm/cool already so who cares.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Took me a while to make my decision, but I finally ordered one today. I will try to document the install to show how easy or not so easy it is and I'll take some video of how it works with our 3's once it's all done.
Hey man did you ever get around to installing it? I got a 2012 and would like to push start as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey man did you ever get around to installing it? I got a 2012 and would like to push start as well

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Remote start in any manual car is a bad idea. I admit, I have never been a fan of remote start in general so please excuse me for being a little biased. My strategy is car in the garage on a block heater. It'll warm up faster than your remote start every time.

However, the relevant point: remote start on a manual. If the clutch safety switch is bypassed and the car is in gear, the starter motor will cause the car to lurch forward. Obviously this is insanely dangerous. Ok so you can leave it in neutral. What happens that one time you forget? How about parking on a hill? I'd rather have the ebrake AND in gear to make sure my car isn't going to move.

This is all about risk assessment. Something most aren't too good at. Yes the frequency of error is very low, but when something goes wrong the concecuences are catastrophic. It's just not worth the risk.

I do know someone who did this. Swapped a manual transmission into an old Toyota and was too lazy to wire up the clutch safety switch. One day he forgot to hit the clutch and turned the key. Ruined his car and his garage. Probably lucky that's all that happened.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had one on my car for two or so years so far. I installed it with their t harness and with an lte module so I can control it from my phone. I've been really liking it so far. It also reads the oem remote which is nice.

Shutting the car off when the door opens is an option but you don't have to enable it. I keep that one disabled on my car and the way it works when you remote start it is you have to walk up to the car, unlock the driver door using the key or the button on the door and then hit the start button once within 60s. Then it'll let you put it in gear and drive off, otherwise it'll kill the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts