2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in Athens.

Also, I'd stay away from Sutherland Mazda in Buford if I were you. Their service after the sale absolutely blows. Too tired to post the details, but I'll go into it more if there are any more MZ3 drivers here.

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
Jim Ellis in Marietta has always done me right on my MZ3 but honestly, all they have done so far is basic services.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm in Athens too. But the dealer I go to is in Columbus. I didn't realize that there was anyone else from Athens on here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen a handful of Mazda 3's around town, but I haven't seen you. I'm always on the lookout for these cars and have yet to see a speed 3 in person.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I live on the eastside on gaineschool rd. I guess if you're not in that area, you probably wouldn't see me very often. Almost all of the mz3s that I've seen had older people driving them around, like in their 50s. So I don't bother trying to say hi to them since they probably don't really care to talk to a "kid"

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:blink:

I'm in Barrington! Right across the street from Gaines and Hilsman schools. And hating living right off a school zone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, we're in walking distance from each other and I've never seen your car around. I haven't even seen any red 2nd gen 3's in town. As far as I know I'm the only liquid silver sedan here.

A student? Nope. I went for a couple years, took a break, went back for a semester, then UGA decided to up tuition- and I bought this car. I just work now. What about you?

·
Registered
148 Posts
i am a student. currently just working for the summer but once school starts, I'll be full-time. I've seen one celestial blue ms3, a white mz3 with some young ppl in it, and many mz3s all owned by old folks. I would also like to hear about the shitty service.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first incident happened a few weeks after I got the car. I called the DMV to get my permanent tag since my temporary one was about to expire. They told me they didn't have the car in their system (or something like that) and the dealer needed to send the paperwork over.

OK, so I called the dealer and asked to speak with the tag officer. I left a message with my call back number on her voice mail. A few days went by and I didn't hear anything from her- so I called back. The same thing, I left another message. A few more days go by and now I'm getting irritated. I spoke to the receptionist that answered the phone and asked her if the tag officer was there today while explaining the fact that I had called and left a few messages before. She said the tag officer is there. And transferred me. And big surprise, the tag officer didn't pick up. I work with the general public and I know that a rude customer gets nowhere, so I stayed calm and polite while letting them know about my problem.

By now, my temporary tag had expired and I was about to make my first payment on a car I couldn't even drive. I was pissed. I called again a few days after my previous call and got the tag officers voice mail. I didn't even leave a message this time. I decided to send an email to their internet sales manager letting them know they had a dissatisfied customer. This guy got on it and emailed me back pretty quickly. I called the next day and FINALLY got the tag officer on the line. She told me she sent the paperwork but I should be able to get the tag when I wanted to.

Second incident

This is the exact email I sent to their service department after it all happened. They called me back when I was at work a few days later, but by then I stopped caring. I just decided to stop going there. Period.

I was treated with respect. My problem was the sticker shock on the service. I drove an hour from home to get to the dealership for an oil change. The service attendant pointed out the worn tread on my tires and suggested a tire rotation. I agreed with him on the need to perform both the oil change and the tire rotation. I asked what it would come out to and he said 40 something dollars.

While waiting in the waiting room, I saw a sign with a price list. An oil change and tire rotation were in the $40 dollar range, but they had a special for both services at $24 or $29 (I can't remember the exact amount).

When my vehicle was finished, I saw a price of $85.62 for an oil change, tire rotation, and tire balancing. When I asked about the $24 special, I was told it did not include a tire balance. It was about 4:00 PM, I had driven an hour to the closest Mazda dealership, and I had an hour long drive home. I was too tired to argue with them there.

Not only did I not ask for a tire balancing, but they didn't say they were performing it, or quote me an $85 fee for what I would be getting done that day. From my point of view, it looks like the stereotypical "shady" car dealer. If I needed my tires balanced, they could have mentioned it. An oil change and rotation for $24 sounds nice, but I also got this $60 balancing I didn't know about. Highly dissatisfied.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got to admit that sounds pretty shady. I'll have my guard up if I take it there for service. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The first incident happened a few weeks after I got the car. I called the DMV to get my permanent tag since my temporary one was about to expire. They told me they didn't have the car in their system (or something like that) and the dealer needed to send the paperwork over.

OK, so I called the dealer and asked to speak with the tag officer. I left a message with my call back number on her voice mail. A few days went by and I didn't hear anything from her- so I called back. The same thing, I left another message. A few more days go by and now I'm getting irritated. I spoke to the receptionist that answered the phone and asked her if the tag officer was there today while explaining the fact that I had called and left a few messages before. She said the tag officer is there. And transferred me. And big surprise, the tag officer didn't pick up. I work with the general public and I know that a rude customer gets nowhere, so I stayed calm and polite while letting them know about my problem.

By now, my temporary tag had expired and I was about to make my first payment on a car I couldn't even drive. I was pissed. I called again a few days after my previous call and got the tag officers voice mail. I didn't even leave a message this time. I decided to send an email to their internet sales manager letting them know they had a dissatisfied customer. This guy got on it and emailed me back pretty quickly. I called the next day and FINALLY got the tag officer on the line. She told me she sent the paperwork but I should be able to get the tag when I wanted to.

Second incident

This is the exact email I sent to their service department after it all happened. They called me back when I was at work a few days later, but by then I stopped caring. I just decided to stop going there. Period.

I was treated with respect. My problem was the sticker shock on the service. I drove an hour from home to get to the dealership for an oil change. The service attendant pointed out the worn tread on my tires and suggested a tire rotation. I agreed with him on the need to perform both the oil change and the tire rotation. I asked what it would come out to and he said 40 something dollars.

While waiting in the waiting room, I saw a sign with a price list. An oil change and tire rotation were in the $40 dollar range, but they had a special for both services at $24 or $29 (I can't remember the exact amount).

When my vehicle was finished, I saw a price of $85.62 for an oil change, tire rotation, and tire balancing. When I asked about the $24 special, I was told it did not include a tire balance. It was about 4:00 PM, I had driven an hour to the closest Mazda dealership, and I had an hour long drive home. I was too tired to argue with them there.

Not only did I not ask for a tire balancing, but they didn't say they were performing it, or quote me an $85 fee for what I would be getting done that day. From my point of view, it looks like the stereotypical "shady" car dealer. If I needed my tires balanced, they could have mentioned it. An oil change and rotation for $24 sounds nice, but I also got this $60 balancing I didn't know about. Highly dissatisfied.

I'm heading there today to get the car washed and see if I am doing something wrong on the blue tooth or if it just sucks. I also picked up a nail (Car has < 100 miles, how did I get so lucky????) so I asked if they could take care of it and the sales dude is checking to see if they can. I think how they handle the tire will say a lot about how the dealership works, a tire plug might cost them what 5 bucks, but would build some good will with their customer. If they come back and charge me I think it says "we'd rather have the 5 bucks than build good will with the customer". Obviously, it is not their responsibility but still.

I may just be old and grouchy but I am shocked at how little the salesmen (not just Mazda, I shopped VW as well) know about the cars and the financing options. It was like I was educating them on the features, incentives, etc instead of the other way around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got the call back. $10 bucks :laugh:

So much for customer good will. I guess I will just let them wash it and then stop off by my tire place.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'll try the dealer in Gainesville before I head to Sutherland again. I'm not even going back for any warranty work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update:

I take the car there to get cleaned, figure what the heck, I'm already here I'll let them plug it. I assume the service manager, anyway guy in a nice shirt comes out and says "We're going to check it out and make sure it is all the way through, might not even need a plug". Comes out 2 minutes later and says it is too close to the sidewall they can't do anything. I say take it down. They do, to their credit I never got the sales pitch for a new tire. I did call my salesman to say how crappy it was to get off to this kind of start with the car. He agrees and is going to "see what he can do". Comes back, new tire = $180. I say BS I just bought the car give the tire to me at cost. He comes back with $175. :roll:

I stop by tire shop near my house and he says it can be plugged, gets the stuff together, takes a pair of needle nose pliers and pulls out the nail and it is nowhere near long enough to puncture the tire, maybe 1/4" of an inch.

Needless to say I doubt I will be going back to Sutherlin for service. Not to mention the folks there seemed totally indifferent and barely acknowledged my existence. Tried to make small talk and the guy never looked up from his PC ... which of course when I got around to see it he was cruising facebook. LoL.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey! Don't knock facebook!

Not knocking it, just saying if you are in customer service and a guy is asking questions about the car be bought 3 days ago ... might not make the greatest impression to cruise facebook while giving "yep", "uh-huh" type answers to his questions. Oh well, better to learn how their service dept handles customers right off the bat to avoid future issues.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts