2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my ultragauge today and noticed that it would auto shutoff after shutting off the car. Tried several power off mode still does not work.

got any clue?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Isn't that what you want? To have it turn off when you turn the ignition off so it doesn't stay on and drain your battery? I have an UG EM1.2 and a 2013 and it turns on automatically with ignition on and off when ignition is off. I use mode 5.

I just got my ultragauge today and noticed that it would auto shutoff after shutting off the car. Tried several power off mode still does not work.

got any clue?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ops i wanted to say that it would NOT auto shut off .

oh you are using mode 5? and which mode you using for power on?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm using default power on (not sure which but the same one you are using if you haven't changed it.

I had a similar issue the first few goes as well...what I did was use only one page of gauges so when you turn your car off it stays on this page and make "UG voltage" one of the gauges on that page. UG voltage mirrors your battery voltage. Once you turn off your car, see what the voltage is at about the 4-10 seconds after turning it off reads. Then set the power off low threshold to somewhere in that range or just above it. The default is 12.85V and my battery when off runs at about 12.88 to 12.90, so I set the low threshold at 12.92. and that fixed the issue.

I also reduced the power off retries to 3 so that only 3 consecutive readings below 12.92 will shut her down. I wouldn't go lower than 3 though because random low readings can happen and you'll find your UG turning off sporadically while driving...not serious but annoying! :)

ops i wanted to say that it would NOT auto shut off .

oh you are using mode 5? and which mode you using for power on?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using default power on (not sure which but the same one you are using if you haven't changed it.

I had a similar issue the first few goes as well...what I did was use only one page of gauges so when you turn your car off it stays on this page and make "UG voltage" one of the gauges on that page. UG voltage mirrors your battery voltage. Once you turn off your car, see what the voltage is at about the 4-10 seconds after turning it off reads. Then set the power off low threshold to somewhere in that range or just above it. The default is 12.85V and my battery when off runs at about 12.88 to 12.90, so I set the low threshold at 12.92. and that fixed the issue.

I also reduced the power off retries to 3 so that only 3 consecutive readings below 12.92 will shut her down. I wouldn't go lower than 3 though because random low readings can happen and you'll find your UG turning off sporadically while driving...not serious but annoying! :)
oh great info! thank you hahahah

btw did you calibrate your MPG thing?

once calibreated does it reset it when it gets unplugged?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Our cars have a MAF sensor so it's much easier and accurate...I just did exactly what is directed in the manual:

1.Fill up the fuel tank.
2.Set the ignition to the RUN position (Engine Off)
3.Press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
4.Zero the Average MPG. MENU --> Gauge/Page Menu .. --> Zero Ave MPG, G/H.
5.Exit the Menu system
6.Drive until it’s time for the next fuel fill-up.
7.At the next fuel fill-up, fill the fuel tank and note the number of gallons/liters us
ed (pumped). (They recommend using the same gas station and same pump...I didn't)
8.Set the ignition to the RUN position (engine off)
9.Press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up
10.Select MENU --> Vehicle Setup.. --> Calibration.. --> Calibrate MPG/Fuel, and change the value displayed to the amount of fuel recorded in step #7. Press MENU when complete to set and save the calibration.
11.Exit the Menu system

oh great info! thank you hahahah

btw did you calibrate your MPG thing?

once calibreated does it reset it when it gets unplugged?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No, but keep in mind it will be less accurate with tiny amounts (more variance) so don't go and fill up after only burning one gallon lol!

For more accurate results they even recommend calibrating over several tanks (see manual) I only did one, but YMMV.

hmmm for the "next fill up", do i have to wait for my tank to be near empty?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, but keep in mind it will be less accurate with tiny amounts (more variance) so don't go and fill up after only burning one gallon lol!
hahaha right!

hmm when you turn your key to "on" possition, does the screen come on?

or it doesnt matter? just turn it ON and press and hold up?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
hahaha right!

hmm when you turn your key to "on" possition, does the screen come on?

or it doesnt matter? just turn it ON and press and hold up?
No, usually not...I assume because just ON doesn't raise voltage above 13.2V (on threshold)?

Also I edited my last post as I wanted to mention the multiple-tank calibration if you want to get VERY accurate. Again, I only did one tank but you have that option.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, usually not...I assume because just ON doesn't raise voltage above 13.2V (on threshold)?

Also I edited my last post as I wanted to mention the multiple-tank calibration if you want to get VERY accurate. Again, I only did one tank but you have that option.
so i assume it would still recognize the fill up without the screen coming on then? ahahha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts