2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there new owner here! I'm loving my 2014 SGT with tech, had it a few weeks now and am still learning all the features. The only thing that's standing out as a downgrade to me from my last vehicle is the FM radio! The reception is pretty bad, except when I get HD but it comes in and out so much I'm thinking of turning it off. But even when there's no HD, the reception is noticeably worse than my last car. Am I missing a setting, or are the antennas just sub par? Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't say I have noticed any problems with FM reception. It's about on par with my last 3 (2012) and my Z (1990) I think...the built in XM antenna is a bit weak though, the ugly old magnet antennas do better, but thats no big deal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is noticeably worse than the other cars I'm used to (VW and BMW)......you're not the only one who thinks that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Honest question... why do people still listen to FM radio? Is there a specific local show you're listening to? Because if not it really seems like there are way better ways to get content.

·
Registered
412 Posts
FM radio remains a good way to listen to the latest news, traffic, as well as whatever music might please the person listening.....it's kind of cool to hear new songs or something that's not always on my CD music collection.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some of us listen to it all the time. Satellite radio is too expensive, my car doesn't have it anyway and we have a good local FM station. Plus it's handy for news and traffic reports.

That said, my radio sucks too. It fades in and out ALL the time, and that's with a station transmitting from the city I'm in! When I'm in my wife's Mazda6, her radio works a lot better. I'm going to mention it to the dealer when I go in for my inspection/oil change next month. I don't know if they have a fix though, unless there's a redesigned radio they can drop in, or a better antenna.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok I'm glad I wasn't imagining it. Maybe I will mention it to the dealer as well.

As for why FM I don't have an unlimited data plan, so even though I could stream the stations I'd rather not, especially if they're free. I've had XM before and never used it much so I haven't signed up yet, although I think I have a free trial. I also like local news and traffic, plus new music maybe I haven't heard before.

·
Registered
437 Posts
FM radio remains a good way to listen to the latest news, traffic, as well as whatever music might please the person listening.....it's kind of cool to hear new songs or something that's not always on my CD music collection.
What's a CD? ;) I guess I just assumed everyone had a smartphone or at least a digital media player.

Some of us listen to it all the time. Satellite radio is too expensive, my car doesn't have it anyway and we have a good local FM station. Plus it's handy for news and traffic reports.
Yeah, I just assumed everyone used the internet for this stuff now. Map apps with live updating traffic relevant to where you are going (Rather than some DJ telling you about every highway he can in the most vague way possible -- "stop and go on the turnpike!", thanks buddy!). Plenty of ways to get digital music or news or whatever that don't have nearly as many commercials or idiocy as a local station.

Like I said, just curious, not judging.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
reception is junk most of the time. Like it's in mono. Rarely will the reception be great enough for it to display "HD" and then it sounds much better.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I don't listen to FM much but the few channels that I do listen to are in HD. I do notice it takes a few seconds for the HD to kick in when I change channels and what not but other than that the reception has been fine. I only notice that when listening to HD2 for certain stations the HD will cut off once in a while, but hasn't happened lately.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a TSB released. I had the same problem with terrible FM reception, brought it into Mazda and they replaced some sort of module and made a huge difference in FM reception. Give your dealer a call and make an appointment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes.

The reception is pretty bad on FM where I live (about 60 miles from the closest "major" city -- Philadelphia). It cuts between mono and stereo a lot and the HD drops quite a bit when trying to pull stations in from Philadelphia. It does OK with stations from closer locales. Other cars I've owned (or still own) had (have) less difficulty pulling in Philly stations from out this way.

The XM reception isn't that ideal either especially when compared to the factory-installed SiriusXM on our 2009 Mazda 6. It's better than FM but tall trees on the turnpike seem to cause it to drop out a little in spots where I've never had issues in other cars.

I suspect it's the shark fin antenna. It's not as good as the older, lower -- yet wider -- antenna Mazda used on the 6 back in 2009 or the small add on antennas that used to come with the plug-in SiriusXM add-on radios.

The XM thing isn't bad enough to bug me. It's a total of 10 seconds of drop out on my daily 87 mile round trip commute. And the FM thing is totally irrelevant. I listened to it a total of two days when I first go the car only because (1) I hadn't Bluetoothed my mobile phone in yet (which is my primary downloaded and streaming music/podcast/entertainment provider) and (2) I hadn't activated the XM subscription yet. I stopped listening to FM radio about a decade ago. It sucks. Repetitive playlists; nothing new unless it's 'top 40' which isn't really my thing; boring genres tilted mostly toward older men reliving their glory years, single mid-40s secretaries surrounded by cats, or wanna be thugs; and a billion commercials. No thanks. :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, I just assumed everyone used the internet for this stuff now. Map apps with live updating traffic relevant to where you are going (Rather than some DJ telling you about every highway he can in the most vague way possible -- "stop and go on the turnpike!", thanks buddy!). Plenty of ways to get digital music or news or whatever that don't have nearly as many commercials or idiocy as a local station.
Not everyone has a smartphone or can afford a data plan. Hopefully my dealer is on top of the TSBs and stuff so I can get mine replaced next time I take the car in.

For music I can use my iPod or USB but for news/traffic info FM is all I've got.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not everyone has a smartphone or can afford a data plan. Hopefully my dealer is on top of the TSBs and stuff so I can get mine replaced next time I take the car in.

For music I can use my iPod or USB but for news/traffic info FM is all I've got.
Don't get defensive. I don't use my "data plan" to listen to podcasts (including news) or music that I download at home, and traffic you can easily check at home before you leave. I listened to the radio for YEARS and getting "traffic" info from them is like looking at a globe to get directions around town.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't get defensive. I don't use my "data plan" to listen to podcasts (including news) or music that I download at home, and traffic you can easily check at home before you leave. I listened to the radio for YEARS and getting "traffic" info from them is like looking at a globe to get directions around town.
Kpatz was stating a fact, I don't see how you can possibly interpret that as being defensive.
If you want to stream news through your phone, that requires a data plan. As for checking traffic at home, it will not cover sig alerts that develop as you drive. There are certain advantages you get from FM that you won't get from a non-smartphone or no data plan. Even if you have a data plan, most of them nowadays are not unlimited so you have to choose your data usage wisely, as well as needing a good carrier with great coverage.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Kpatz was stating a fact, I don't see how you can possibly interpret that as being defensive.
If you want to stream news through your phone, that requires a data plan. As for checking traffic at home, it will not cover sig alerts that develop as you drive. There are certain advantages you get from FM that you won't get from a non-smartphone or no data plan. Even if you have a data plan, most of them nowadays are not unlimited so you have to choose your data usage wisely, as well as needing a good carrier with great coverage.
If you really want to, but can't stream music or podcasts because of a lack of data plan or overages, check out TMobile. Not sure what their reception is like in your area, but unless they've changed things recently, they don't have a data cap or overages. It just slows from 4g to 3g and TMobile has the fastest 3g network, so it's not the end of the world. Also, there isn't much need to listed for traffic reports. You can check traffic on Google and it's pretty accurate.

If you've had the car for several months, I'd definitely check out the TSB mentioned a few posts back. May need your TAU replaced.

I do think some of it is where you live and how strong the radio signals are in your area. Especially if you have a window antenna. They're great at keeping the car looking sleek and clean, but they're not the greatest at reception.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts