2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fit the H11 HID in the OEM fog housing but the wire at the top of the HID makes contact with part of the housing that would normally cover the bulb.

My HID Fogs work, but one of them needs to be replaced (possibly due to a bad ballast that got recalled by TRS) but I'm wondering if the bulb went bad because it was making contact with this metal part of the housing.

Here's an illustration:

I don't think the Fog housing actually comes in contact with the metal frame of the car, so I don't think it would cause a short circuit since the housing is suspended by plastic.

Still, I just bought a $40 pair of bulbs to replace the one because it was changing colors on my, and I want to know if I should try to bend the metal (j-hook thing in the diagram) so that it doesn't make contact....

I originally tried to bend it but it was too difficult with out taking it apart more.....

Anyway.. thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
HID H11 bulbs are too long for the OEM foglights housings. You have to take a flat head or Phillips head screw driver and push the metal shield of the foglights forward a couple of mm to make the bulb fit.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HID H11 bulbs are too long for the OEM foglights housings. You have to take a flat head or Phillips head screw driver and push the metal shield of the foglights forward a couple of mm to make the bulb fit.
Yea, that's exactly what I did, but I didn't want to break anything so I didn't force it too much, and I don't think I moved it much at all...

My HID's are in there now and they push up against that metal piece... and still work... but I'll probably more forcefully with them this time around...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yea, that's exactly what I did, but I didn't want to break anything so I didn't force it too much, and I don't think I moved it much at all...

My HID's are in there now and they push up against that metal piece... and still work... but I'll probably more forcefully with them this time around...
Can you please tell me what you used to push the J-hook piece and how much force did you used to bend it? Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you please tell me what you used to push the J-hook piece and how much force did you used to bend it? Thanks!
Well... I just fucked it up now... actually....

Last night I got one of them to extend correctly, and i had to force the hell out of it, I bent it UP and DOWN... trying to wiggle it.... until somehow I got it to where the HID bulb wouldn't make contact with it.

The second one however, I wiggled too much, because the screw became loose that was holding the j-hook thing... and now it wiggles....

So I need to either use some high-temp silicone to make sure it doesn't move.

OR somehow open the dame Fog Light housing so I could get to the screw....... guess I would have to bake it in the oven to do that....

For now I stuffed some double sided sticky tape in there to act as a spacer. (the clear rubbery kind) so it doesn't move....

I dont know... I should never have fucked with it... this was what I was worried about.... they worked fine while touching the damn metal... :oops: :death:

Edit: It took a LOT of force to get it to do anything though.... just bend the hell out of it with a screw driver... otherwise you probably wont be able to extend it far enough to fit the HID...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.