2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Anyone cut Racing Beat springs?

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  LEGIONAIR 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a 2010 sedan and knows of a set of Racing Beat springs that he can pick up cheaply. He wants a lower drop than what the RB springs give and wants to know if he can cut a little from these to get the look he wants. I believe he will keep the standard rear drop but go a little lower up front. I don't see why he can't do this, but does anyone have experience with this specific situation? No lectures about how cutting springs isn't the best way, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks!

#2 ·
From all my looking into in the past, cutting will give the look, but it also has a tendency to ruin any spring rate on them so it becomes brutal to ride in. Not much give really. I've seen some Hondas up here do it and there's absolutely no cushion over bumps. So it's doable but definitely not recommended

Reactions: jmaister
#5 ·
If your friend is getting them for a good deal then resell them for a profit and buy the correct springs. Of coarse your friend isn't that smart since he is obviously retarded.

The front springs have the top most and bottom most coil bent in a specific way as to seat correctly in the perches. If your idiot friend cuts them they will not seat correctly and could present a danger.

I will be nice when it comes to people wanting to do most ricer things but when they start to effect other peoples safety is when I drop all politeness.

#9 ·
I agree with selling the springs for profit. I bought my old 88 200sx with cut springs. Long story short, spring came out of its perch, front bumper ate the road, and the spring dented the fender from the inside. Be smart and safe, sell what u have and buy the drop you want. PM me a price, I might want them :)

#13 ·
Holy cow, you guys are brutal. I guess I kinda figured the answer, but I thought I would ask. I know in general it is bad to cut springs, but I have personally cut the springs on a couple of cars that did not have progressive rates, and it worked great. So it depends entirely on the car. I was just asking if the Mazda 3 was one that this could be done with.

Theory is one thing; has anyone actually tried it? I will advise my buddy to get them and sell at a profit or go a different route. He likes the ride in my car with RB springs, but he wants more drop.

#15 ·
Save money. Get the right shit. Be happy. Don't do a Mickey mouse or a "Goofy" job.

#16 ·
I'd suggest road magnets or eibachs. I have ridden in cars with both and they both are great springs. they both offer a 1.75-2 inch drop too if thats what he is looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.