2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm negotiating via email for a '15 sGT hatch, auto, white (extra $200) with tech package. MSRP with $795 destination is $30,190.

5 dealerships have given me quotes which I think expire 1/5/15 for year end sales(?). Before my state's TT&L, the lowest year end cash price is $27,155 and the lowest financed price is $26,469 using the Mazda financing rebate. I don't know but those seem decent prices if I get them to throw in some accessories. Any opinions?

Since I keep my vehicles for about 10 years, I'd like to ask each dealer to include free nav updates during my ownership lifetime. (And I'm assuming infotainment updates will always be free, right?)

The Mazda Connect site says:
"Mazda provides free map updates for 3 years, commencing when the vehicle has traveled 63 miles (100km). Please visit the Mazda Naviextras website or the Naviextras Toolbox computer tool previously installed on your computer to update your maps."

Has anyone asked for and received lifetime map updates? And, does anyone have a guess what the cost might be after Year 3? I assume the map updates can't be purchased outside of Mazda.

I've been reading the 3rd gen forum almost daily for over a year and have never seen these questions asked. I've searched the forum as well and can't find any answers. However at Mazda USA, the cost for a maps update for a 2012 sGT is $199 (but I don't know if this is annual or bi-annual).

With 10 year ownership at $199/yr, that's $1,393 and more valuable to me that the other dealer accessories (assuming updates are still offered in Year 10!). With no updates after Year 3, the navigation unit will progressively become more obsolete. But of course, I will also ask for other more labor intensive options such as paint protection film, just in case they balk.

Thanks in advance, my wise friends! Because of ya'll, I find that I know more about the 3 than many salesmen/women! :grin2:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Since I keep my vehicles for about 10 years, I'd like to ask each dealer to include free nav updates during my ownership lifetime. (And I'm assuming infotainment updates will always be free, right?)

The Mazda Connect site says:
"Mazda provides free map updates for 3 years, commencing when the vehicle has traveled 63 miles (100km). Please visit the Mazda Naviextras website or the Naviextras Toolbox computer tool previously installed on your computer to update your maps."

Has anyone asked for and received lifetime map updates? And, does anyone have a guess what the cost might be after Year 3? I assume the map updates can't be purchased outside of Mazda.
I also keep my cars for 10+ years, and after picking up my new 3S GT hatch in October, I passed down my '03 Protege5 to my son, so I definitely did ask the dealer about lifetime NAV & infotainment system updates. WRT the infotainment SW updates, he said Mazda would provide those for free while under warranty, or via recall/TSB notices if car's warranty has expired and it has an infotainment system problem covered by the recall/TSB.

WRT the NAV updates, dealer could only parrot what we already know from the Mazda Naviextras website - we get 3 years of free NAV updates; price beyond that is TBD/unknown. Since my dealer had no clue what Mazda might charge for NAV updates beyond the 3 years, he was unwilling to even consider negotiations on that point. But in our discussions, he implied that Mazda sources its NAV software from Tom-Tom, and that I might be able to go directly to them for updates, but he offered no solid leads on how/cost.

While the potential lack of NAV updates beyond 3 years bothers me, it's not a show stopper for me given how I drive & use the NAV system. For the most part, I drive in a well developed area, and new roads/street addresses don't pop up all that often, so my "old" NAV system does fine for the most part.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just wondering why people don't just use their phones for navigation? :confused1 1:
I have wondered the same thing. I personally do not think car GPS maps are worth the extra money.

I do not think the maps are something they are going to maintain for 10 years. With google car and apple car coming to vehicles starting next year I think the gps maps will become a thing of the past as you will have "apps" that control the map updates. I have read that the smart car apps can even bypass older infotainment systems but we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. I personally do not think car GPS maps are worth the extra money.

I do not think the maps are something they are going to maintain for 10 years. With google car and apple car coming to vehicles starting next year I think the gps maps will become a thing of the past as you will have "apps" that control the map updates. I have read that the smart car apps can even bypass older infotainment systems but we will have to wait and see.
I would not purchase nav on any vehicle if it were my choice. The only reason why I end up with it is for resale value (some people do really appreciate having nav) and because it was already included in the trim level I actually wanted.

·
Registered
183 Posts

I was actually looking for one with Nav this time. The advantage to Nav over a phone, to me (without a phone dock) is the nav screen is right there, and easier to control/search if needed while on the road. Those may be moot points if you have a dock and a decent size screen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have Nav - Because it was in the trim level I wanted. I still find I use my waze on my phone - turn-by-turn nav is much much improved when the system knows current traffic conditions.

and technology 10 years from now.... wow... I'm thinking that I can't see anyone promising lifetime updates... because they can't guarantee they could deliver it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nav updates are really horribly overpriced. However, in most areas I don't think you need them very often either. I plan to make sure I'm up to date right before my free updates expire and then I'm fairly confident there will be alternate ways to update the maps without having to pay mazda...

I've always used my phone before but have been using the nav in the car because, well, it's there. It is an improvement over using my phone and I will probably keep using it. The advantage over using my phone is that it doesn't drain my phone battery, it doesn't require using a windshield mount or something to keep my phone visible, it provides me with audio cues no matter what audio source the radio is on, and it feeds important info to the HUD. The only real negative compared to my phone is that it's not auto updated all the time like google maps, and it doesn't do traffic (at least currently).

Really I hope we move more to a trend of having a car display that can mirror your phone so you can easily integrate google maps into your car with all the functionality the built in nav has (but without the need to buy updates or have a constant internet connection to do live traffic). It seems like things are moving that way with android auto and apple carplay, but we're not quite there yet...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's thread resurrection, but:
Now I see some Mazda "official" SD cards, with solid reviews, selling on Amazon for about 50€/$ - with seemingly up to date maps.
Perhaps that's a worthwhile amount to keep up to date every couple of years?
What do you guys think about those?

·
Codger
73 Posts
I surely won't be paying for any Mazda maps. I tried using the nav once, on a trivial local errand, and twice it suggested a bizarre route. Once I wanted to turn left to take my usual route home, and it wanted me to turn right, drive 1/4 mile in the wrong direction, then make an illegal U turn. Maybe CarPlay will be better when/if it arrives later this year...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Google maps is a business... if they can route you past one of their sponsors they will. Not to mention nav on your phone drains the battery. Of course there is the convenience factor as well... I simply say "new address" she will ask me for everything but the zip and then load the route while I'm driving. If I happen to be going over the speed limit and there is a red light or speed camera ahead she will warn me and advise me to slow down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I haven't used the Nav in my 2014 since I first got it and it did all sort of weird things. Certainly wasn't going to spend money on it since it sucked.

Now that it's been 4.5 years, I asked the dealer about updates and he said they are all available for free online. Unfortunately, I since forgot how he told me to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Codger
73 Posts
The Mazda nav is far too stupid to spend an extra nickel for maps. What good are fresh maps when Siri's evil twin will guide you half an hour out of your way, with no way to correct her silly routing? If you don't have a cell phone, or you don't want a ticket for using a cell phone in your car, better to spend the money on a real GPS device.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,221 Posts
The Mazda nav is far too stupid to spend an extra nickel for maps. What good are fresh maps when Siri's evil twin will guide you half an hour out of your way, with no way to correct her silly routing? If you don't have a cell phone, or you don't want a ticket for using a cell phone in your car, better to spend the money on a real GPS device.

2018 m3 with the H.U.D. it's a great convience with the gps -

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm a big fan of the built in Mazda Navigation... really works well and like the integration in the car with the commander control never needing to touch screen means not looking at it to touch ;)

Been using it since 2014 and it wins over my phone Google/WAZE or GPS Garmin/Tom-Tom... I will pop up WAZE on occasion for traffic or police alerts if it's a REALLY zoom zoom trip :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Having not updated my Operating system since I bought the car 4.5 years ago, the dealer did it for me for free when I took my car in last week for the Infotainment System TSB. That problem is discussed in this thread: https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2018-mazda-3-skyactiv-audio-electronics/182434-infotainment-system-going-crazy-9.html

They didn't charge me anything specifically for the updates, but did charge me the standard diagnostic fee for checking out the system to find the cause of the main problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
$80 to update my maps??? That's crazy. Especially when you can buy a brand new SD card that includes 3 years of updates. If the navigation system worked i wouldn't mind paying for a new card. but my voice system has never worked properly and the dealer said that's the way it is. Google can understand me just fine but the GPS and phone don't understand anything i say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a big fan of the built in Mazda Navigation... really works well and like the integration in the car with the commander control never needing to touch screen means not looking at it to touch ;)

Been using it since 2014 and it wins over my phone Google/WAZE or GPS Garmin/Tom-Tom... I will pop up WAZE on occasion for traffic or police alerts if it's a REALLY zoom zoom trip :)
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 5 door S Grand Touring which I love. Like you, I also love my navigation system, too, but . . . Every time I've taken the car in for routine servicing under warranty they've told me I have the latest update. Now it's been 5 years, the warranty is clearly expired, and I've moved to an area where there's a lot of new development going on and even where I live doesn't show on the Mazda maps. I was told to go online and get free updates (which I can't find) or buy a new sd card from the dealer for $399. I did download the Mazda Toolbox but can't find out what the update will cost me if I proceed. In addition, the licensing agreement one has to agree to indicates the company responsible for the updates is based in Hungary and you basically have no rights to anything if there's any kind of problem either in the process of trying to update or subsequently . . . a total "buyer beware" scenario. Totally ridiculous! Waze can be helpful but it drains my phone battery, needs to be mounted somewhere I can see it, and means I can't use the phone as a phone if using it to navigate. In addition to the development in the area where I now live, I often make long car trips so being able to use WAZE to navigate, and using the phone as a phone is important, even if a car charger solves the battery issue. Wondering if you've had to update your sd card after the first 3 years of ownership when it appears the previously "free" updates go away? If so, how did you do it and what did it cost you? MA

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,221 Posts
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 5 door S Grand Touring which I love. Like you, I also love my navigation system, too, but . . . Every time I've taken the car in for routine servicing under warranty they've told me I have the latest update. Now it's been 5 years, the warranty is clearly expired, and I've moved to an area where there's a lot of new development going on and even where I live doesn't show on the Mazda maps. I was told to go online and get free updates (which I can't find) or buy a new sd card from the dealer for $399. I did download the Mazda Toolbox but can't find out what the update will cost me if I proceed. In addition, the licensing agreement one has to agree to indicates the company responsible for the updates is based in Hungary and you basically have no rights to anything if there's any kind of problem either in the process of trying to update or subsequently . . . a total "buyer beware" scenario. Totally ridiculous! Waze can be helpful but it drains my phone battery, needs to be mounted somewhere I can see it, and means I can't use the phone as a phone if using it to navigate. In addition to the development in the area where I now live, I often make long car trips so being able to use WAZE to navigate, and using the phone as a phone is important, even if a car charger solves the battery issue. Wondering if you've had to update your sd card after the first 3 years of ownership when it appears the previously "free" updates go away? If so, how did you do it and what did it cost you? MA
The map subscription can be purchased for 3yrs ->Mazda Toolbox

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts