2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be adding a hitch to my 2017 hatchback for hauling bikes. Looks like there are three options:

1. Curt
2. Hidden Hitch/ Drawtite
3. Ecohitch

As of right now, the Hidden Hitch/Drawtite and Ecohitch have been updated to include the 2017 model. Curt has not been updated yet.

I found a great installation thread with pictures for the Curt hitch, but I haven't seen any threads involving a hitch and the 2017 model.

If you have put a hitch on your 2017 model, would you please post a pic with what hitch you used?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I need one too for the same reason. This was on the "it can wait for confirmations from manufacturers" list along with the mud guards. I don't need until spring so not in a huge rush yet.

Did the hidden hitch / drawtite put out a new part number for the 17, or just update the year range of the existing part number?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need one too for the same reason. This was on the "it can wait for confirmations from manufacturers" list along with the mud guards. I don't need until spring so not in a huge rush yet.

Did the hidden hitch / drawtite put out a new part number for the 17, or just update the year range of the existing part number?
Hidden Hitch and Drawtite just updated the year range according to etrailer and their websites.

The new mudguards are out. I exchanged a few emails from Medcenter Mazda, and they have them listed on their eBay store for sale now. New part numbers: BALWV3460 BHN1V3450

Ebay Link

I think I might just order the Curt hitch and take a gamble on fitting the 2017. There has been no changes to the frame, I think they're just slow to update the year change. The other manufacturers have updated their range. Worst case scenario, I have to send back on my dime.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I saw those part numbers in your other thread. I will eventually get the guards either from the dealer or online elsewhere in Canada. Buying these things on ebay doesn't make sense for me after dollar conversion, shipping, import duties, etc.

I was curious if the others had new parts or just updated. since they just updated it likely means Curt will just update as well, meaning '16 hitches should fit the 17 just fine. Thanks for the input on this, now to wait for a sale somewhere :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, I had a 2007 GT 5-door, best car I ever had. It was easy to put a hitch on that car, lots of choices, lots of installers in the area. So when I bought my 2016 sT 5-door I didn't spend any time researching hitches. When I was ready I was disappointed to find the selection was more limited now, there weren't nearly as many installers in our area anymore (I can't do it myself) and there weren't too many online testimonials from folks who had installed hitches on a 2014 - 2016 M3. But my problem was solved a couple of months ago when my SO bought a Subaru Outback that came with a hitch. We'll just use her car for hauling the bikes. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2017 Hatchback and I am looking forward to seeing which hitches fit too. After looking at the Curt's website it looks like they only have the cx-3, 6 and mx-5 even listed for 2017 models. Hopefully they will update soon.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any luck or confirmation here? I had a Curt on my 2014, and would like to add on to my 2017.
I ended up getting the Torklift Ecohitch. I decided I would spend a bit more on the hitch in order to have it concealed.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ended up getting the Torklift Ecohitch. I decided I would spend a bit more on the hitch in order to have it concealed.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Nice. It does look like a nice hitch. Did you DIY, or you goto an installer? If so how much does the install cost? It does look significantly more involved and more work than the Curt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. It does look like a nice hitch. Did you DIY, or you goto an installer? If so how much does the install cost? It does look significantly more involved and more work than the Curt.

I installed it myself. To be honest, it wasn't very hard at all. Removing the bumper is intimidating, but it's easy to do. I just took my time trimming the black plastic on the bottom of the bumper with a dremmel, and cleaned it up with some sand paper. They provide a piece of Trimlock to finish off the trimmed area. It looks great on the car, and is very high quality fit and finish.

I have a Subaru Crosstrek with a factory hitch. I swear it looks identical to the Ecohitch down to the trimming of the bumper, way the receiver looks and Trimlock piece.

I'm very satisfied and would definitely consider a Ecohitch on any car in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the pics, thats a nice clean install!

From the ecohitch install manual, it looks like you only need to cut into the narrow strip of trim on the bottom, the piece that is screwed in from the bottom and only visible when you look under the car. But from your first pic, looks like you had to cut the larger plastic trim that is visible from the back of the vehicle. Is that right? How is that trim bracket piece fastened?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re-visiting as it's time to get my rack ready.

Has anyone put the Curt on a 17? I like the round bar vs the square of the draw-tite. It's also cheaper. I emailed curt but they were useless.

I love the ecohitch but I'm in Canada and just can't justify it after shipping / taxes / $ conversion :-(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re-visiting as it's time to get my rack ready.

Has anyone put the Curt on a 17? I like the round bar vs the square of the draw-tite. It's also cheaper. I emailed curt but they were useless.

I love the ecohitch but I'm in Canada and just can't justify it after shipping / taxes / $ conversion :-(
I have the Curt #11377 and its very well built and came with everything I needed to install. Didn't need to cut or alter anything. It comes with some handy tool to help guide the mounting bolts through the frame.

But truthfully, the only reason why I bought it was because I was able to get it really quick (ordered on Wednesday and installed Friday with Amazon Prime). If I wasn't in a hurry, I would have gone with the EcoHitch as that looks the best because you only see the center part. I may eventually get the EcoHitch and sell my Curt for cheap (locally).

Wish we had an easy way to order the European OEM hitch (in the US) as that is 100% hidden.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the Curt #11377 and its very well built and came with everything I needed to install. Didn't need to cut or alter anything. It comes with some handy tool to help guide the mounting bolts through the frame.

But truthfully, the only reason why I bought it was because I was able to get it really quick (ordered on Wednesday and installed Friday with Amazon Prime). If I wasn't in a hurry, I would have gone with the EcoHitch as that looks the best because you only see the center part. I may eventually get the EcoHitch and sell my Curt for cheap (locally).

Wish we had an easy way to order the European OEM hitch (in the US) as that is 100% hidden.
Is that on a 17 hatch? That's what I asked Curt (why it was ok on 16 but not 17) and all they would tell me is that it would fit the sedan.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I recognize the part number for the hitches is the same for most of the manufacturers. However as I mentioned for some reason Curt does not list the hitch that fits the '14-'16 hatch as fitting the '17 hatch and they weren't able to tell me why.

My gut says it will bolt up but I was looking to see if anyone had actually done it or if there really is interference with the new bumper or something and that's why they said no.

I will probably just end up going with the drawtite to make sure it goes if the curt is unverified on the '17.

·
Registered
70 Posts
for some reason Curt does not list the hitch that fits the '14-'16 hatch as fitting the '17 hatch and they weren't able to tell me why.
Then I'm confused. When I went to their website (Curt) and put in 2017 M3, it shows as fitting.

Unless you don't have a 5-door....then I'm not sure and could explain Curt's comment.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts