2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 Hatch GT Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I feel like the braking system on the 2.5t is soft as sh*t. It cannot slow down quickly unless pressing the brake deeper. I had searched around the internet and can't find anyone doing the upgraded braking pad. Does anyone have some recommendations?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi all. I feel like the braking system on the 2.5t is soft as sh*t. It cannot slow down quickly unless pressing the brake deeper. I had searched around the internet and can't find anyone doing the upgraded braking pad. Does anyone have some recommendations?
I'd be curious as well. It sounds like you might be looking for metallic since you want more initial bite. On the mountain bike, I much prefer organic, but I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with all 3 types: ceramic, metallic, and organic/resin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While stiffer calipers may provide more feedback and a more aggressive pad may provide more bite, the best way to improve braking performance (i.e. stopping shorter) is going to be better tires. Any car that comes equipped with ABS is going to have an OEM brake setup that is capable of locking up the wheels. If you have a grippier tire with a stiffer sidewall that can reduce flexing under hard braking, you'll stop in a shorter distance.

You may also want to consider the design/tuning of the brake booster on these cars. Mazda likely tuned it with variable assistance so that it would not seem jerky. That being said, it definitely may not be the most confidence inspiring in that you feel your inputs are not proportionate to the amount of braking applied. Pads with more bite may help with this initial feel, but likely will not help you stop any shorter if the real limitation is mediocre OEM tires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am looking forward to a big brake kit in the front, I’ve found two places so far but with 10k miles and still haven’t “worn the new off” that time is not here. Love the car but the turbo should have rotors an inch or so larger to begin with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For much-improved feel, stainless brake lines are a great start. Check with Goodridge on fitment.
For pads, I'd give G-loc a call. They can fab a set of pads as long as they have the backing plate dimensions.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
831 Posts
Yes ... go with stainless lines ... changes things ... including a higher temp brake fluid dot 4 or 5.1
Hawks HP 5.0 pads

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping that Hawk, EBC or someone else comes up with new, track ready front pads soon. I took my 2021 2.5T for a track day at Houston MSR last weekend and the front pads were GONE after the 5th 20 min session (ie 100 min on track). I'm talking metal on metal, requiring new pads AND rotors with less than 1000 miles on the odometer. I'm looking at the Corksport big brake kit as potential upgrade. In the meantime, I highly recommend that you DO NOT attempt a serious track day on the stock pads. Otherwise, the stock tires were not great, not horrible, but I knew that going in and was planning to upgrade those anyway.
Tire Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 Hatch GT Turbo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm hoping that Hawk, EBC or someone else comes up with new, track ready front pads soon. I took my 2021 2.5T for a track day at Houston MSR last weekend and the front pads were GONE after the 5th 20 min session (ie 100 min on track). I'm talking metal on metal, requiring new pads AND rotors with less than 1000 miles on the odometer. I'm looking at the Corksport big brake kit as potential upgrade. In the meantime, I highly recommend that you DO NOT attempt a serious track day on the stock pads. Otherwise, the stock tires were not great, not horrible, but I knew that going in and was planning to upgrade those anyway. View attachment 284669
Man tbh I have 0 confidence in track with the OEM tire and the shitty brake. The OEM tire, 215mm wide, is way too narrow and lack of cornering support. And the trash brake will makes you have to break earlier when turning. Honestly this car is just a street car and not design for track using. Also track day is a costly thing. Tires, brakes, engine oil…lots of wearing parts need to replace every times. So if you are very serious on track using, I recommend to get a project car like old Civic Si then put some bucks on it and make it fast on track.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
831 Posts
I'm hoping that Hawk, EBC or someone else comes up with new, track ready front pads soon. I took my 2021 2.5T for a track day at Houston MSR last weekend and the front pads were GONE after the 5th 20 min session (ie 100 min on track). I'm talking metal on metal, requiring new pads AND rotors with less than 1000 miles on the odometer. I'm looking at the Corksport big brake kit as potential upgrade. In the meantime, I highly recommend that you DO NOT attempt a serious track day on the stock pads. Otherwise, the stock tires were not great, not horrible, but I knew that going in and was planning to upgrade those anyway. View attachment 284669
You should be on Hawks HP 5.0 pads which is a street track pad with better bite, less to no fade and dont wear out as fast as oem pads.
Im on those front and back ... Also to consider if you do track and autocross
is better brake fluid (and fresh every year). I often see guys at advanced driving courses
or at private open lapping day burn thru oems pads and loose pedal feel because fluid is too hot.
You can smell the burn of oem pads if they out there too long. Hence why alot of open lapping clubs limit those session to 20-30 mins... so as too cool down the car and the turbos too.
Better oil ... getting into oils like the Motul 300V which have higher temp degradation
and there are many out there at different price point. Im running Millers Oil
Same goes with tires... if you plan on tracking and auto cross get a good 200AAA tire .
If you do alot daily drive read up those 200AAA tires some are excellant in the wet but not in the rain.
Im running Potenza RE71-R (was on the Hankook RS-4). Maybe wait for the new RE71-RS out in 2022 in the USA.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
146 Posts
We are working on front pads for this application, i will update when i know more!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts