2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have issue with touch screen pressing buttons by itself on low speed or idle. Not happening when car is moving at speed and LCD is disabled. Can anyone come up with tweak to disable touch function of the screen all togather (even at idle). I will appreciate. :crying2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you can enable touch while driving with this tweak but not disable. Can you show where this tweak is? I am looking for same one as well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think you can enable touch while driving with this tweak but not disable. Can you show where this tweak is? I am looking for same one as well.
I've used AIO a number of times and like you enable touch while moving but never seen anything to disable touch screen.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
The issue you are encountering is something that has been posted about before. The touch screen is not malfunctioning. It is most likely the wiring that connects to the wheel knob/button in the center console that controls the infotainment system.

One person had spilled liquid (hot chocolate) in their center console area where the wheel knob/button is. The dealer cleaned things up under the center console and around the plug that feeds into the center console (relay for the wheel) and it worked normally after that.
CK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue you are encountering is something that has been posted about before. The touch screen is not malfunctioning. It is most likely the wiring that connects to the wheel knob/button in the center console that controls the infotainment system.

One person had spilled liquid (hot chocolate) in their center console area where the wheel knob/button is. The dealer cleaned things up under the center console and around the plug that feeds into the center console (relay for the wheel) and it worked normally after that.
CK
I will try that.My car is out of warrany, so hope it's not that difficult. It was working fine untill probably winter (it's freezing cold -20C or -4F here in Toronto). It may be the reason. But need to start somewhere. I am not using touchscreen anyway so this tweak will the easy way, if available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am getting CMU DTC 1 - B108E04 (Display-System internal failure) message when Reading AVC DTC in test screen by entering 3. I think the issue is related to LCD screen or some other component. I am not sure. If anyone have similar issue? what will the fix?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Cguru, Were you able to fix this issue? I have the same issue in my car and I want to disable the touch control all together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I solved the issue! you have to unplug the touchpad connector from the back of the screen itself. there are videos on youtube how to detach the screen module, under the screen there are 2 connectors. unplug them. then there are 4 Philips screws that holds the screen to the top of the module. Once you have the screen out there are 4 philips scews (small and a little long) two from the back and two from the bottom. This will get you to pull the back cover of the screen out.
Now if you look at the back of the screen, there is a thin film connector colored dark red on orange film at the bottom, gently pull the white clip that holds it and pull the red plastic film cable. This is the touch pad connection of the LCD itself.
at this stage, you can test if you plug back the two connectors under the screen and turn on the car.
Put it back together and here you go!!

Finally I dont have to explain to ppl why my car keeps calling them!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I solved the issue! you have to unplug the touchpad connector from the back of the screen itself. there are videos on youtube how to detach the screen module, under the screen there are 2 connectors. unplug them. then there are 4 Philips screws that holds the screen to the top of the module. Once you have the screen out there are 4 philips scews (small and a little long) two from the back and two from the bottom. This will get you to pull the back cover of the screen out.
Now if you look at the back of the screen, there is a thin film connector colored dark red on orange film at the bottom, gently pull the white clip that holds it and pull the red plastic film cable. This is the touch pad connection of the LCD itself.
at this stage, you can test if you plug back the two connectors under the screen and turn on the car.

By physically unplugging the touchpad connector, can you still sue the screen with the knob control?

·
Registered
1 Posts
By physically unplugging the touchpad connector, can you still sue the screen with the knob control?
I just tried MarzanHB's above guide on my 2014 Mazda 3 i Touring and I can confirm that it works and that you are still able to seamlessly use the screen with the knob. There's a few things that I would like to add to the guide. First get a variety of phillips-head screwdrivers that range from regular sized to jeweler's screwdrivers, and a socket wrench with a 10mm head and a really long arm. The first step is to remove the glove box door from the car. Then, pop out the glossy trim on the passenger side of the dashboard from the 4 metal connectors holding it to the rest of the dash. This will also disconnect the air vents on the middle of the console (they are one part), which have a wire clip that needs to be disconnected to fully remove this component. Take the 10mm socket wrench with the arm and use it to remove the hex head screw holding the aluminum bracket to the console. Pull the screen out and unclip the two wires underneath the screen, but do not unclip any other wires. Take a large phillips-head screwdriver and remove the 4 screws holding the screen to the aluminum case. From here you should be able to take the screen out of the car and to a workbench or table. Take a mid to large sized jeweler's screwdriver and remove the 4 small screws holding your screen to the bracket and pull the screen away. Next, use your jeweller's screwdriver or a toothpick and to what MarzanHB said and pull the white clip at the bottom out and disconnect the red and orange film cable. Put the white clip in but leave the film cable hanging loose. Reverse the above steps to put the screen back in, and remember to plug the screen wires back in and don't forget to plug in the one wire attached to the air vents. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or questions, and I hope this helps a lot of people who are having the same issue. Credit goes to MarzanHB for the original guide and solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The touch input is actually captured by an overlay sitting on top of the screen. If you remove the head unit and are brave enough to disassemble it a bit you will find a wide ribbon cable connecting to the bottom of the circuit board that is on the back of the screen. This connects the touch overlay to the system.You could disconnect that ribbon cable to disable the touch screen. I took the entire thing apart (CAREFULLY) and separate the screen from the touch overlay. I cleaned some trapped dirt out that I think may have been causing my issue. If it starts happening again, I will also resort to disconnecting the touch overly the way I just described.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This exact issue is part of a TSB released in November of last year. The issue is due to a manufacturing defect, but isn’t being covered out of warranty. Took my wife’s car in last week and they’ve offered to cover the cost of the screen if I cover the cost of labor ($150). Not ideal, but better solution for me than dealing with taking apart the screen and losing touchscreen ability.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I just tried MarzanHB's above guide on my 2014 Mazda 3 i Touring and I can confirm that it works and that you are still able to seamlessly use the screen with the knob. There's a few things that I would like to add to the guide. First get a variety of phillips-head screwdrivers that range from regular sized to jeweler's screwdrivers, and a socket wrench with a 10mm head and a really long arm. The first step is to remove the glove box door from the car. Then, pop out the glossy trim on the passenger side of the dashboard from the 4 metal connectors holding it to the rest of the dash. This will also disconnect the air vents on the middle of the console (they are one part), which have a wire clip that needs to be disconnected to fully remove this component. Take the 10mm socket wrench with the arm and use it to remove the hex head screw holding the aluminum bracket to the console. Pull the screen out and unclip the two wires underneath the screen, but do not unclip any other wires. Take a large phillips-head screwdriver and remove the 4 screws holding the screen to the aluminum case. From here you should be able to take the screen out of the car and to a workbench or table. Take a mid to large sized jeweler's screwdriver and remove the 4 small screws holding your screen to the bracket and pull the screen away. Next, use your jeweller's screwdriver or a toothpick and to what MarzanHB said and pull the white clip at the bottom out and disconnect the red and orange film cable. Put the white clip in but leave the film cable hanging loose. Reverse the above steps to put the screen back in, and remember to plug the screen wires back in and don't forget to plug in the one wire attached to the air vents. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or questions, and I hope this helps a lot of people who are having the same issue. Credit goes to MarzanHB for the original guide and solution.
The touch input is actually captured by an overlay sitting on top of the screen. If you remove the head unit and are brave enough to disassemble it a bit you will find a wide ribbon cable connecting to the bottom of the circuit board that is on the back of the screen. This connects the touch overlay to the system.You could disconnect that ribbon cable to disable the touch screen. I took the entire thing apart (CAREFULLY) and separate the screen from the touch overlay. I cleaned some trapped dirt out that I think may have been causing my issue. If it starts happening again, I will also resort to disconnecting the touch overly the way I just described.
I'm going to try this tomorrow morning. I'll owe you folks mucho thanks if it works. I'm sick and tired of the ridiculous phantom touches on the screen. I have the trim removal tools and the 10mm T-wrench for installing the CarPlay kit when it gets here, so I may as well practice a bit by doing this first.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I will probably have to do this since my CPO car has this issue very intermittent. I took to dealer they said they updated the firmware. I know that is not the cause based on info from this site. Oh well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update to my previous post:

The process of removing the screen and disconnecting the touch cable took less than an hour, and the knob/button control works fine. I never used the touchscreen as a touchscreen, anyway.

I'm glad I had the right tools, i.e. a trim removal kit and a 10mm T-wrench. I was able to use the same Phillips screwdriver on the 4 screws connecting the screen assembly to the CMU and the 4 screws to remove the screen from its base.

Thanks again to the folks who provided the great instructions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently disconnected the ribbon cable thanks to MarzanHB and can confirm that it fixed my problem! The ribbon cable is located on the bottom center of the center display after it is removed. I did not use the touch screen functionality anyways, and even when it was not glitching the touch screen did not respond - so no big loss. Thanks to all who contributed with the clear instructions. One recommendation is that I would not even attempt unless you have at least a 6 inch socket extension for that 10mm bolt, it is pretty deep in there. I'm not a huge gear head but managed just fine, just be gentle removing the trim.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently disconnected the ribbon cable thanks to MarzanHB and can confirm that it fixed my problem! The ribbon cable is located on the bottom center of the center display after it is removed. I did not use the touch screen functionality anyways, and even when it was not glitching the touch screen did not respond - so no big loss. Thanks to all who contributed with the clear instructions. One recommendation is that I would not even attempt unless you have at least a 6 inch socket extension for that 10mm bolt, it is pretty deep in there. I'm not a huge gear head but managed just fine, just be gentle removing the trim.
Heh, I'm definitely no gearhead, but it was pretty easy for me and I did the job in under an hour. Having the trim removal kit and T-wrench were invaluable as well. I'm glad it went well for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts