2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have good experience with plastic dip and willing to lend a hand? I would like to do my rear valence and would like a hand from someone that has some experience

Thank you

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you want a nice smooth finish do a few heavy coats! Not a lot of light coats.
Hold it about 8 inches away and lay it on. The paint is self leveling which is nice. Little bubbles and runs usually flatten on their own.
I also found that the paint comes out better when the can is warm. When it's cold it seems to shoot out large clumps of it.

Figured I would share a few things with you. I've done a fair set of wheels and bumpers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
If you want a nice smooth finish do a few heavy coats! Not a lot of light coats.
Hold it about 8 inches away and lay it on. The paint is self leveling which is nice. Little bubbles and runs usually flatten on their own.
I also found that the paint comes out better when the can is warm. When it's cold it seems to shoot out large clumps of it.

Figured I would share a few things with you. I've done a fair set of wheels and bumpers.

What he said and clean the tip of the spray can after each coat, they clogs easily.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
The easiest way to avoid clumping is to preheat the can actually. Had no issues plastidipping a rubber lip spoiler, I can help you on a weekend if you're not confident in doing it. All you need is rubbing alcohol, masking paper, masking tape, good scalpel and of course the can.

·
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the advise guys.

The easiest way to avoid clumping is to preheat the can actually. Had no issues plastidipping a rubber lip spoiler, I can help you on a weekend if you're not confident in doing it. All you need is rubbing alcohol, masking paper, masking tape, good scalpel and of course the can.
I would love your help! Would give me an opportunity to check out your car I told a few friends about.

Our mazda5 has matte black valence from factory on rear bumper. Debating doing matte vs gloss like on the 2013? Thoughts?

If it is successful, I will gloss black the mirrors and the roof(may have to vinyl roof)

·
Registered
443 Posts
FYI I was kidding o.o don't microwave

lmfaoooo

Count me in as well...anyone that helps gets a free case of beer from me and Ryan ;-) I want to plasti dip matte the mirrors and rear valence...and I do not have any confidence whatsoever that I can do this without some professional experience...help a brotha out!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Yeah best way to heat the can is use a hair dryer or a heat gun. But place the can alil further away from the heat gun cause the can may go boom if it gets too hot.

What area y'all live in?? I would like to lend a hand. I've plastic dipped many wheels. And I've done my side mirrors and spoiler hatch and emblems.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I'm in Pasadena, but living in an apartment. I'd probably have to come to you to help out, spraying the rear bumper on a parallel parked car on the sidewalk is asking for trouble. :tongue:

Btw the safe way to heat the can would be a tub of hot water lol. Hair dryers and heat guns are just too much.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
To heat the can I run it under hot sink water, shake it, run it under more water, shake it, repeat until you don't feel cold liquid

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm in Pasadena, but living in an apartment. I'd probably have to come to you to help out, spraying the rear bumper on a parallel parked car on the sidewalk is asking for trouble. :tongue:

Btw the safe way to heat the can would be a tub of hot water lol. Hair dryers and heat guns are just too much.
Live in LA as well...about 5 minutes from 90210...let me know when you guys plan on getting together and we can have a plasti-dip party! WOO! :banana 1:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ryan when is a good time for you to meet up to do all of this? I am literally free every single weekend (except Memorial Day) so I am more flexible than most...whenever is a good time for you guys to meet up I am completely down to do it...although we would most likely need to go to Ryan's house in Simi Valley to do this since I have no space or light where I park (underground garage)...so guess just wait to see what he thinks, I know he is busy because he just had a kid...

Are you sure you wouldn't mind coming up from Oceanside? Simi Valley from Oceanside is FARRRRRRRRR...deff a more than one day trip I would think

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.