2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a problem that I've noticed... it's extremely specific but I feel like surely someone else on here has run into this. Hear (read?) me out.

Since the touchscreen in the 3 is so predominate, of course your going to want your MP3's on your flash drive to have full proper tags with album art so the screen looks fancy as it should!

So to accomplish this, I've used an ID3 tagging program (Picard in this case) to find the songs, fill out album art, get rid of some of the junk information in tags that you'll find in "free" MP3's online. During this process however, it looks up what the track length should be and it sets it in the ID3 tag on the MP3. The trouble is however, it may think it SHOULD be 3:26 due to 1 second of silence in the start/end and marks it as such but the song in reality is 3:24 because it does not have the 1 second of silence in the beginning/end. Other reasons account for this as well but it's often just 1-2 seconds off from what music databases say they should be.

Now with most players (programs on computers, other cars, etc) these time length tags don't mean much. The song plays as it should and sound right regardless of what the tags say. HOWEVER Mazda seems to put a lot of weight into what the tagged length of the song is. In fact, if a song is actually 3:24 but the tag says 3:26, it will play 2 seconds of some OTHER song on my flash drive! Literally the first ~1-2 seconds of some other random song on my drive before it abruptly changes properly to the next song. Sometimes it's 2 seconds, sometimes half a second, sometimes just enough for a kind of SKREETCH between tracks which I can only assume means it happened so fast it makes that noise.

Oh and this ONLY happens when you let a song change on it's own (so it fully plays the song).

This problem is starting to drive me absolutely nuts. I've found myself never letting a song change on it's own because of how it will react. The whole lot of my songs are like this now.

Is anyone else running into this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Holy crap! That is weird. What version infotainment are you running?

I have noticed sometimes songs don't play all the way like they skip the last few seconds of some songs. Ive noticed that issue on Iphones and my Windows Phone both Bluetooth and hardwired. But you are all sorts of screwed up. Good Luck sir!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
V25 right now, happened on my original v21 or v20 as well. We will see later this week if V27 does it too.

I haven't tried it streaming via bluetooth... I'll give it a shot. Exact same MP3's on my phone as my thumb drive. Doesn't seem to be thumb drive specific either. It's always with the end of the song however as you mention, sometimes it could be like skipping the end I believe if the tag is shorter than the actual song is. My main problem seems to be tags being longer then they should, thus it playing something else (which is nuts).

Don't even get me started on if a file has multiple album arts. I have 1 song it pulled up 2 cover images for (which I can disable but still) MP3's support this by their standard. Anyways when that song plays, the system freezes up visually for ~30 seconds as it is silent then suddenly is playing the song but showing completely wrong information. Song time counter just counting away without the bar moving. Eventually it catches up and is fine however, but wow does it choke on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
V25 right now, happened on my original v21 or v20 as well. We will see later this week if V27 does it too.

I haven't tried it streaming via bluetooth... I'll give it a shot. Exact same MP3's on my phone as my thumb drive. Doesn't seem to be thumb drive specific either. It's always with the end of the song however as you mention, sometimes it could be like skipping the end I believe if the tag is shorter than the actual song is. My main problem seems to be tags being longer then they should, thus it playing something else (which is nuts).

Don't even get me started on if a file has multiple album arts. I have 1 song it pulled up 2 cover images for (which I can disable but still) MP3's support this by their standard. Anyways when that song plays, the system freezes up visually for ~30 seconds as it is silent then suddenly is playing the song but showing completely wrong information. Song time counter just counting away without the bar moving. Eventually it catches up and is fine however, but wow does it choke on it.
you have an extremely weird issue!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts