2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I know there have been several requests for mods to the CMU so that pressing the voice-control button on the steering wheel would activate Siri (on iOS phones) rather than the built-in MZD Connect voice function.

And I know that there was/is no solution to this :)

I was just wondering if any of the folks that have been so active with the latest excellent hacks have possibly found a way to do this lately.

Perhaps a new hack to the CMU could do the trick?

Thanks,
Luca

·
Registered
19 Posts
Easy solution: Mazda/JCI could kindly hand over the Siri Eyes Free binaries they have been testing somewhere. They've got all the localisation strings done and in the current firmware for Siri Eyes Free support, but just no binaries in the firmware to actually act on the long press of the Voice Control button ;-)

Harder solution: Somehow hook the long press of the Voice Control button and then use it in conjunction with the Apple Bluetooth dev guidelines (https://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/BluetoothDesignGuidelines.pdf) - section 6.4 has the relevant BT AT commands to be sent for things to play properly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody of the people that are developing hacks out there can estimate how hard is the "harder solution"?

I'd gladly pay for this hack! And I suspect I'm not alone...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi guys.

I know there have been several requests for mods to the CMU so that pressing the voice-control button on the steering wheel would activate Siri (on iOS phones) rather than the built-in MZD Connect voice function.

And I know that there was/is no solution to this :)

I was just wondering if any of the folks that have been so active with the latest excellent hacks have possibly found a way to do this lately.

Perhaps a new hack to the CMU could do the trick?

Thanks,
Luca
1. turn on your iphone's "hey siri" function

2. plug your iphone to usb in your mazda 3

3. press voice command button in steering wheel and say "hey siri"

4. instruct whatever you want to siri.

no hacks needed

i'm still on v31 and from the beginning this is what i'm doing to activate and instruct siri using the car's microphone while driving without touching the phone

using it this way is essentially also known as apple's carplay minus the icons in your car's screen :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Melbs, but more often than not my phone stays in my pocket, so no way to power it via USB.

And no, I don't have a 6s where the "Hey Siri" function works even when the phone is on battery power...

So we need a smarter way to access Siri in our Mazda 3s... The "PTT" button on the steering wheel would be PERFECT!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks Melbs, but more often than not my phone stays in my pocket, so no way to power it via USB.

And no, I don't have a 6s where the "Hey Siri" function works even when the phone is on battery power...

So we need a smarter way to access Siri in our Mazda 3s... The "PTT" button on the steering wheel would be PERFECT!
WOW! a little too spoiled aren't you?

amazing that you simply refuse to simply plug your phone in the usb as that is already the smartest way to access siri using the car's "PTT"/voice command button on the steering wheel without hacks.

even the actual carplay enabled aftermarket pioneer headunit in my other car requires you to plug your iphone to access siri/carplay!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know whether I'm spoiled or not.

I know I have a way of interfacing with my car and my phone that is quite common among friends and family, and that in all cases the convenience of a physical button in the car to invoke Siri would be a very welcome feature.

So, if anyone has a solution that enables a physical button to invoke Siri, I'd be glad to pay for the effort, and I think many other users would too.

If you do have such a solution, please elaborate. If not, thanks for your suggestions anyway, but please let others chime in.

Thanks,
Luca

·
Registered
19 Posts
using it this way is essentially also known as apple's carplay minus the icons in your car's screen :)
Using Hey Siri isn't really close to Siri Eyes Free and/or CarPlay.

Eyes Free mode (activated when the car entertainment system sends specific commands over bluetooth) ensures that Siri operates appropriately and safely for use in a vehicle. It reads out any text to the driver rather than saying "Ok, here you go" and presenting it on screen.

Even if Mazda don't want to/can't do a CarPlay implementation - enabling Siri Eyes Free mode support at a minimum would be a huge safety and usability improvement.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Using Hey Siri isn't really close to Siri Eyes Free and/or CarPlay.

Eyes Free mode (activated when the car entertainment system sends specific commands over bluetooth) ensures that Siri operates appropriately and safely for use in a vehicle. It reads out any text to the driver rather than saying "Ok, here you go" and presenting it on screen.

Even if Mazda don't want to/can't do a CarPlay implementation - enabling Siri Eyes Free mode support at a minimum would be a huge safety and usability improvement.

Do me a favor, get your ass off the computer and plug your iphone in your mazda3 and follow the steps i mentioned in this thread and let me know how it is any different from what carplay and/or eyes free siri does?

Funny you claim this, as i have already mentioned my carplay pioneer hu avh8650bt that im using for almost a year is essentially same as hey siri and or eyes free siri. As a matter of fact my pioneer headunit boasts of carplay or eyes free siri when using pioneer os.

Now, carplay does not show you your messages or emails or any texts for that matter on your headunit screen, it brings up exactly the same siri interface when you interact with it using siri on your phone. All messages, emails are simply read by siri to you! It is the same with eyes free siri mode on pioneer os, and it is the same with hey siri. ALL OF THEM simply read it to you via your car speaker and you speak to siri via your car's microphone, yes, including hey siri in our mazda 3, as long as you are connected via bluetooth and usb. As a matter of fact eyes free siri is just a marketing tool to simple press button on steering wheel or hu screen for non carplay os hu to prompt siri, which actually apple made kinda useless since you can simply not press any button and just say "hey Siri"

Like i said the only difference is those app icons showing on your hu screen, and obviously showing apple maps on the hu screen as well. simply tell siri straight to the point what you need instead of clicking those icons to open them.

What one earth do you need aside from apple maps and those icons on the screen for hey siri in our mazda 3 to be not as effective as car play or eyes free siri? I can play spotify, play music stored in my music app, use siri to browse those songs instead of fiddling our command wheel, calling, reading and replying messages, etc. all using hey siri plugged in our mazda3 usb and connected to bluetooh and using PTT/VOICE COMMAND BUTTON in the steering wheel to prompt siri just like carplay or eyes free siri?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts