2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum as I just got a 2017 Mazda 3 2.5 HB touring Manual 3 days ago. As I am learning about the car I was wondering if there are any hidden feature or quirks I should know about? Like how some cars you can roll down all the windows using a key or holding down the unlock button for example. Or like GM cars you can turn the key backward to get full accessory power.

Anything you know or have to share I am interested to learn.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
As a just in case with newer cars, I like to carry a 10mm wrench in the trunk. If for some reason the push button start doesn't want to work (or something similar) I can reset it by disconnecting the battery for a minute. Already saved my butt twice since owning the car. It shouldn't happen,but if it does I'd rather not wait for the tow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As a just in case with newer cars, I like to carry a 10mm wrench in the trunk. If for some reason the push button start doesn't want to work (or something similar) I can reset it by disconnecting the battery for a minute. Already saved my butt twice since owning the car. It shouldn't happen,but if it does I'd rather not wait for the tow.
What a good idea! Thanks. I'm going to immediately do that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you have the car configured to auto-lock when you leave, you may find that sometimes it doesn't lock when you think it should have. It can be perplexing and seem like random failure, but it's not. This happens if you move away from the car too quickly as you close the door, or you have a passenger that takes longer to exit/close than you did as you moved away from the car.

The key to avoiding this is to make sure, as you exit, stay close to the car until all doors are closed and you hear the first single-beep, then walk away, and you'll hear the second two-beep--that's telling you it locked. .... the first single-beep is a confirmation that all the doors are closed and it senses you close to the car, and is ready to lock up when you walk away.

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Obvious answer is read the manual.

Not so obvious answer is there's settings that the dealer didn't show me that controls the auto-lock feature along with how long the headlights stay on after the cars off, when the doors lock in relation to your shifter (if you're auto), and other cool features like the GPS showing what posted speed limits are on city and country roads.

The not at all obvious answer is you can do a lot more cool stuff with AIO Tweaks lol

·
Registered
675 Posts
I find it more secure to turn the auto lock feature off and lock the car by pressing the button on the handle or key fob. That way you know for sure the car is locked when you hear the beep and a re close enough to check the door is locked by pulling on the handle.

Reactions: GerryB

·
Working Class Hero
3,611 Posts
I find it more secure to turn the auto lock feature off and lock the car by pressing the button on the handle or key fob. That way you know for sure the car is locked when you hear the beep and a re close enough to check the door is locked by pulling on the handle.
This. Auto lock just irritated me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you have the car configured to auto-lock when you leave, you may find that sometimes it doesn't lock when you think it should have. It can be perplexing and seem like random failure, but it's not. This happens if you move away from the car too quickly as you close the door, or you have a passenger that takes longer to exit/close than you did as you moved away from the car.
I like the auto-lock feature and use it, however it's not perfect as you noted. As you said, those two things screw it up: moving away too quickly as you close the door (easy to do if you're in a rush), or having a passenger.

The thing to do is to train yourself to listen for TWO beeps as you walk away. If you don't hear the second beep, or you're not sure, reach into your pocket and press the lock button to be sure. And be extra careful if you have a passenger, and perhaps just get into the habit of using the lock button on the fob every time you have a passenger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mazda designed the security system such that the key never needs to be taken out of your pocket or purse--this is probably much more helpful for ladies who have black-hole purses--never fumble/search for your key again! And, now that I understand auto-lock better, I think it's quite good! I was irritated with it at first, but I love it when tech works for me, and so when I realized that it's not buggy at all but I just hadn't understood it properly, I just retrained myself to make sure I stay close to the car until I hear the one-beep; that's the "all clear for lock up" beep. I've never needed to manually lock up since.

I actually think all the tech in the 3 is great! I'm especially a fan of the hackable embedded Linux infotainment center!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts