·
Registered
596 Posts
I will be

·
Registered
90 Posts
I didn't apply.
It was only a 10% discount for being an alpha tester...
I know most people say that Cobb is very good a cautious, but there is still quite a bit of risk.
Plus, I am getting pro-tuned when it gets released to the public, and my tune will be $200 off, so I save more money doing it that way.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It was only a 10% discount for being an alpha tester...
I know most people say that Cobb is very good a cautious, but there is still quite a bit of risk.
Plus, I am getting pro-tuned when it gets released to the public, and my tune will be $200 off, so I save more money doing it that way.
Agree, with the 10% should have been better, but it was better than the deals I could get even with my sponsorships and I had planned on purchasing the item in the future. Cobb sweetened the deal for Christmas, Ho Ho Ho.

Definitely agree with the risk, this was a major issue and has also been discussed, very comfortable with Christian, had a great discussion today concerning some of my concerns and how we will proceed.

Even with the release of the AP, what software is your tuner going to use, as it is not known with ATR will be released at the same time as the AP.

Official 2010+ MS3 AP Update Thread

Reactions: johnlaoang

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm not sure...
I'm not in a big hurry to get tuned (unless the datalogs show something is way off).
I am gonna use Joe as my tuner, so whatever he uses.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Z - if you could keep progress posted on this - id like to know how its going and your thoughts etc - part of my interest is that you pretty much already have the mods i have and/or want to get - so hopefully it will give me some insight on what to expect should i go the AP route

part of my interest with the AP specifically is, it seems its a fairly decent/easy to use data-logger also - so even just insight on how all that functionality works out would be helpful

when do you expect to have one?

i wanted to apply - but didnt, mostly because im dyslexic and COULD NOT figure out the random code - seriously i was raging at the web page for 10 minutes then gave up - i went through 50 codes and could not understand a single one of them

·
Registered
596 Posts
We are going to Oklahoma for the holidays (family), I am suppose to pick it up in Plano tomorrow, it should have the proper software loaded and I have Mac AP manager on my machine. I should start the process either Monday or Tuesday, the first data log is only a 45 sec run to get some base numbers. I have to determine if I want to put the DP on now, if I don't, I can not do it until after the testing phase.

Looking forward to helping Cobb out as well as all the other GENPU owners that have not already got a tune and want this device.

Z

·
Registered
238 Posts
i am looking foward to seeing some numbers, I want to see how cobb compares to the custom tune I have.:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
We are going to Oklahoma for the holidays (family), I am suppose to pick it up in Plano tomorrow, it should have the proper software loaded and I have Mac AP manager on my machine. I should start the process either Monday or Tuesday, the first data log is only a 45 sec run to get some base numbers. I have to determine if I want to put the DP on now, if I don't, I can not do it until after the testing phase.

Looking forward to helping Cobb out as well as all the other GENPU owners that have not already got a tune and want this device.

Z
Z - just wanted to know how things are going/bump this thread - see if there are any updates

i know the holidays JUST ended, but figured i would ask

and for another very noob question - once these are out - these can be used to custom tune provided the tune shop has the software, correct? how exactly does that work? how well does cobbs "e-tuning" option pan out (since i dont live in texas/cali) - any one have expierence with that?

also - do you have access to 93 octane in your area?

thanks again

·
Registered
238 Posts
i have to be honest, i have never used a cobb access port, but DPTUNE has done wonders with my car. I beleive Joe has remote tuning now as well. I highly doubt my car would come anywhere near 330whp with the cobb on it. It all depends on what you want. Still, i want to see some dyno numbers from one:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have to be honest, i have never used a cobb access port, but DPTUNE has done wonders with my car. I beleive Joe has remote tuning now as well. I highly doubt my car would come anywhere near 330whp with the cobb on it. It all depends on what you want. Still, i want to see some dyno numbers from one:)
i honestly have no idea - i would have thought that the methods of tuning are more or less the same regardless of who does the tune or what technology is used - but like i said - i have no idea

my particular interest with the cobb AP is that its also a datalogger - so i kind of see it as getting, what appears to be, a fairly decent way of logging data - i think my goals are modest - arbitrarily, i would like to see 300 at the wheels - nothing crazy, but significant over stock - but ive got a ways to go before im there and have to financially plan it out ahead of time - my next item will be a HPFP, hopefully before the end of the month, but well see

i know youve got some pretty lofty HP goals in mind - ive got my sights set a bit lower i think

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
1,091 Posts
Follow the thread here if you're interested-

2010 MS3 AccessPORT Alpha Testing - Mazdaspeed Forums

Basically, you're not going to be able to extract the full amount of power from the tune safely without upgrading the fuel pump (either full replacement or KMD internals), and at some point pushing 330whp, you'll likely have to upgrade the in tank pump as well to be on the safe side. There's a lot more info discussed in the thread. Power speaking, I'm sure any custom tuner can easily extract more and safely on a dyno over the average person, Joe from DPTune included (he also can tune with Cobb AP). For those willing to learn how to tune properly, Cobb AP is a great platform and really has no competition in terms of essential functionality until cp-e's TC3 comes out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i would jump on that app - had i an iphone or ipad

i do have a windows netbook though that would be easy enough to cart around - anything that would run on that? ive seen some open source programs out there, but none that look like they support gen 2 ms3's that i can tell

i know there are other loggers out there - they all just seem kind of pricey - i want one at some point, just thought i could get a 2 for 1 kind of deal with the AP and maybe keep from buying 2 devices when i can own only one

not looking for 330 - ill take it, but that seems like its pushing the limit, likely on more than just the fuel pumps - and i do plan on the CP-E pump in the near future

to tune with an AP though, dont you also need the software? which runs like $2K?

im all for doing it myself - i do program for a living so i would be well adjusted on that front, but im not really willing to throw down that kind of money when i can pay someone to just do it for me for a fraction of that

thanks for the link catchphrase - ill pour through that and keep an eye on it periodically

·
Registered
238 Posts
the OT-2 logger will work on your laptop as well. You can either do it wireless, or with a cable. Its a really good buy.
My CPE pump will be here tomorrow and going on car on monday. The KMD internals not holding up. Also adding the upgraded KO4 turbo on monday, should boost me to 360whp. As far as pushing the limits, its all depends on how you drive. Many stock MS3's have blown the motors. If you drag all the time, your going to break something, stock or fully modded.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My CPE pump will be here tomorrow and going on car on monday. Also adding the upgraded KO4 turbo on monday, should boost me to 360whp.
CPE pump works great, if you think you are going that strong, you will need to upgrade the supply pump in the fuel tank.

Put a wire tie on the supply line nut so that it does not slide down to parts unknown. I did not bleed my system but the car was also cold when I did my work. This was actually one of my quickest mods. I did pull the battery and plastic case just for some additional room to work.

Good luck

Z

·
Registered
238 Posts
thnx buddy, this will be my second go at the fuel pump, removed it to get the KMD internals put in. Was not that bad, i do have very large hands so little tough to get the feed line nut.

·
1,091 Posts
Release hasn't been announced yet. It seems you could technically buy an AP and ask to alpha test for your car. As it is now, Christian @ Cobb is saying that to safely extract the limits of a tune would require an upgraded fuel pump (CDFP), even with things like an intake and test pipe. If you're not willing to invest in an upgraded fuel pump or internals, your tune will be somewhat conservative to remain safe. Read more starting here

1 - 20 of 43 Posts