2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, any idea that we can use last gen. 3rd party oil filter? or we have to stuck with OEM for now? please advise thx.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think amsoil has a filter for the 2019 3. Not sure if its the same as earlier filters for that engine. Probably it is.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I checked the Purolator website. They list the 2018 and 2019 models as having the same oil filter part numbers. I assume this applies to all aftermarket brands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would never buy a Fram - they are considered the Orange-Can-of-Death.
Search around on You Tube for people who have cut filters open to compare construction and quality, and you will see what I mean

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
680 Posts
Before start saying some oil filters are garbage and this is better or best ... bottom line you pay for what you get.
Have a look at this oil filter comparision :
Why would want to spend $1 or $2 less than the OEM Mazda filter or worst think about increasing your oil change interval.
You should be saying what kind of benefits can i get spending $2-5 more for a better oil filter .
Extending your oil change interval is risking wear on your engine.
Would you spend less on your drinking water filter or extend its interval ?

Reactions: zeeper25

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
STICK w/ OEM SkyactivG-specific Oil Filters!!! These were intentionally designed NOT TO HAVE AntiDrainBackValves, unlike most aftermarket.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
680 Posts
STICK w/ OEM SkyactivG-specific Oil Filters!!! These were intentionally designed NOT TO HAVE AntiDrainBackValves, unlike most aftermarket.

I agree with sky stick with OEM Mazda

Reactions: minsanity

·
Super Moderator
6,219 Posts
Toyo-Roki PE01-14-302B should be the factory installed filter. They are available on line if you search around. Doesn't really need an anti drain back valve as there is nowhere for the oil to go....
Whats interesting is the OEM fiter has a metal seal around the base of the filtering media, where the aftermarket filters, in this case Mobil1, don't.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Toyo-Roki PE01-14-302B should be the factory installed filter. They are available on line if you search around. Doesn't really need an anti drain back valve as there is nowhere for the oil to go....
Whats interesting is the OEM fiter has a metal seal around the base of the filtering media, where the aftermarket filters, in this case Mobil1, don't.

Yes, being upright-installed, oil is gravity-retained. Plus, the Skyactiv oil pump has its own oil flow requirements, hence, Mazda did not end up just using their old existing filters that actually share the same mounting threads.
Have read reports of failing pumps with the wrong filters. True or not, it's a risk I'd rather not prove wrong. Stay OEM for the SkyG, guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts