2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience/preferences regarding electronics such as Blinder etc, for ticket reduction? I'd like to keep my "Roadstar" ICBC insurance discoun,t but don't want to drive my Speed 3 like a nun, (no offence to any nun) who might be reading this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where are you located?
I know some places(Chicago is sticking out in my mind), that there is actually a loophole to get around tickets you get with a Laser, since they haven't been "scientifically proven" or something like that...

·
Registered
115 Posts
The problem with Anit-Lidar and other scrambling/detection devices is that they only buy you time. They will scramble the first reading or two to allow you to slow down, but if you are over the limit by more the 20 mph, you still won't slow down enough. They allow you to add a few miles above and beyond the cushion troopers usually allow (9mph), but that is it.

Best advice is run in packs and never be first or last.

·
Registered
164 Posts
LIDAR in chicago... im pretty sure it will stick, though i did read about it being more difficult if you want to actually go to court and try to fight it - its easier to get out of than regular radar supposidly

only moving ticket in chicago ive ever recieved was a "no turn on red" - paid it, not even a "real" ticket - and even THAT made my insurance go up - this effing city will nickle and dime its residents to death - if you live here, you have to be villigant about not being financially raped by stupid stuff constantly (parking tickets for example)

anyway - i read somewhere that they need a reflective surface and typically go for the licences plate, or headlights - and you can actually get a paint on coating for those areas that makes it a lot harder for them to tag you with the laser, it will scatter the light - however, if you have a metalic silver paint job it might not matter, i think your best bet is a darker paint job with minimal reflective trim - it wont prevent it, but that paint combined with a decent radar/lidar detector will give you enough/more time to react

i have a fairly basic cobra radar detector (about $100) - works well enough - but you have to be on the ball with paying attention to it and re-acting quickly enough - only once was lidar detected that i can remember, and i WAS speeding about 15 over - but i think it was being aimed at a car in front of me, but i reacted instantly and no ticket

guess it depends - i know a guy who has an 04 svt cobra, and a valentine 1 (very expensive) radar detector and swears by it - my "cheap" model seems to work just fine

·
Registered
90 Posts
From the Tribune...
Loophole gets speeding tickets thrown out - Chicago Tribune

Mythbusters did an episode on how not to get busted by radar, and I think they found that the only thing that worked was this one special coating, but it was heavy as hell and you would barely be able to drive around with all the extra weight.

I have a cheap Whistler detector, and it has saved my butt numerous times from all kinds of radar/laser.
You have to be on the ball. When it beeps you have to hit the brakes, but it works for me!
I have never used an expensive one, so I can't compare.

·
Registered
164 Posts
hmm good to know

this is what i was reading about

Laser VEIL FAQ...answers to your questions

still - i cant help but think its just buying you an extra second or two reaction time... maybe

radar detectors are a worthwhile investment i say - but no need to speend hundreds on them - that combined with good judgement will keep the tickets away - but buying one, and relying on it alone, will likely land you in traffic court more often

remember - its not a cop detector

when i figure that one out, ill let you know...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's very easy, especially in a MS3, to be 20 kilometers over the limit. A moments distraction can be the difference between a ticket and a nice drive. I've been looking at the Blinder M27 and the Laser Interceptor, both of which are highly rated. They seem to buy you a few seconds (at minimum) of time during which you have to hear the alert, respond by braking, and then turn the unit off to avoid detection (and a nuisance traffic stop) by the law. Of course it depends on many factors such as distance and speed, traffic volume, reflectivity, and the LIDAR operator. My understanding is they are not illegal in BC, just like radar detectors. You still need a radar detector for protection from that threat. The efffectiveness of the coatings for the headlights and licence plates I don't feel have been proven enough. I read LIDAR takes only three tenths of a second to get a reading on you, which makes it impossible for a human to react to and slow vehicle in time. Check out the test videos on the web. The units seem to work well. I'm leaning to getting one, but they are pricey.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You shouldn't have to worry about turning it off. My cheap Whistler has a mode where it will "hide". It will turn itself off, then check to see if the signal is still there every 30 seconds or so.
I personally have never used this mode. I like to hear how fast it beeps since it will tell you how close you are getting to the signal, and you can determine if it is just a security system/cell phone tower/some other device setting it off.

Also, detectors work much better in traffic, since they will be hitting other people first, then your detector will go off, and you can slow down before they get you.
If they are sitting there with their gun off, then switch it on and hit you, you are screwed. There is no detector that can help you in that situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts