2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Looks nice! I like their true metallics line. I actually have 4 cans of vintage gold and 2 of glossifier that I was going to use on my old enkeis but sold them before I got a chance. Maybe I'll have to try them on my OZ in the spring just for shits'n'giggles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just curious what size rims are those. 18 or 16?

·
Registered
157 Posts
That really looks great! Makes me really think about it since we have the same color car!

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah they look good with that color car. im planning on doing my red sedan soon in this color

·
Registered
150 Posts
did u use a rattle can? i did mine this weekend and they dont seem to be as smooth as yours are could u maybe do an up close picture of the rims straight on so i could look at it in more detail and maybe suggest better method of spraying? Cause im still getting texture in mine. supposedly if you get some mother instant detail and 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand you can get it smooth. ur thoughts on this?

·
Registered
275 Posts
did u use a rattle can? i did mine this weekend and they dont seem to be as smooth as yours are could u maybe do an up close picture of the rims straight on so i could look at it in more detail and maybe suggest better method of spraying? Cause im still getting texture in mine. supposedly if you get some mother instant detail and 2000 grit sand paper and wet sand you can get it smooth. ur thoughts on this?
Is it cold? If the cans cool down below 60F, you will get texture. Here's a video that shows how you can fix texture

I wouldn't try sanding plasti dip, it would probably not turn out well. Using friction on it will rip it off. But I could be wrong, wet sanding could be ok. Still not as easy as the solvent though.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This was the wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper and detailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOyHf4Yx0w
Yeah it was a bit cold. As for the thinner would it require me to paint it again like he does in the video or would it come out the similar color by just thinning it and letting it dry? cause i really don't have much of the specific color and cant really buy it at the store. Anthracite Grey.

·
Registered
150 Posts
@dew111 i see you are the guy with those electric green rims if i am not wrong. Did u get texture on your rims or did you use thinner as well? i was thinking of wet sanding as it looking like if you use enough lubricant it wont rip cause my entire rim is texture like an orange almost. I read that thinner will give you streaks in if just rubbed on. So i just thought wet sanding would be an alternative. Let me know what you did with yours as i can see your dips where pretty smooth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wonder how this color would look on a black sedan. I wanna do rims and emblems, but I dot want to do the typical blackout look. This could be a great option.

·
Registered
275 Posts
@dew111 i see you are the guy with those electric green rims if i am not wrong. Did u get texture on your rims or did you use thinner as well? i was thinking of wet sanding as it looking like if you use enough lubricant it wont rip cause my entire rim is texture like an orange almost. I read that thinner will give you streaks in if just rubbed on. So i just thought wet sanding would be an alternative. Let me know what you did with yours as i can see your dips where pretty smooth.
Yeah, that's me :)

I redid the front two wheels; I peeled them and started over. After that first experience, I have gotten into the habit of keeping the cans warm as I go by keeping an extra can in my jacket, and switching between the two cans. The back two wheels are still crappy up close. You can see the drips and unevenness, but from a distance they are ok, and I'm too lazy to redo them :p. Because my base layer has really bad drips, I don't think the thinner will help fix that.

As for streaks with the thinner, the video recommends doing another one or two coats on top after smoothing. That may get rid of any streaks. But I've never done it on a large surface, so maybe the streaks would still show. I think as long as you smooth it well and don't introduce grooves, the layers on top should look fine.

Using the thinner, it will dry the same color. But if you did layers, like a base of black and then the anthracite, for example, it may mix them somewhat.

But I don't know if anyone has really done any sanding with plasti dip. Since it's so easy to remove and redo, most people who use it are not going to bother with anything as complicated as wet sanding (not that it's that complicated, but you need the equipment, which is more expensive than a few more cans of dip).

·
Registered
275 Posts
jmazda2014/dew111: Did you spray your rims on or off the car?
I did the rims while on the car. Just make sure you mask off the brakes with a plastic garbage bag. And it's a good idea to move back and forth a few feet between coats to rotate the wheels. This allows you to see more of the wheel and hopefully avoid any bare spots. Just make sure to check the masking bags after moving the car and straighten them if they have bunched up. When you put the bags in, make sure they are loose around the brakes so they don't get caught in the calipers when you move the car.

I do not have any lifts or jacks other than the one that came with the car, so dipping them on the car was easiest. If you have jacks and are used to removing the wheels, go for it. I see they recommend you prop them up against something so they are not completely horizontal when you are dipping, if you choose to remove them first. Doing this, it's probably still a good idea to rotate them between coats to get all the surfaces.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts