1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NHTSA #19V-514
Recall: #3819F
2019 Mazda3 Headrest concern

on certain mazda3 vehicles, due to improper installation of the seat cover material of the front driver and passenger seatbacks, the material may interfere with the head restraint lock release button, causing the button to be stuck in the release position. in this condition, the head restraint can be moved freely, without the ability to lock the vertical height adjustment at a desired position.

if a crash were to occur, the head restraint could become loose and injure occupants in the vehicle.

Remedy:
your mazda dealer will install support plates at the bottom of the lock release buttons on both front seat head restraints to prevent the seat cover material from interfering with the lock release button.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:laughing019::laughing001::lol:

I just thought of Fantasia’s aunt’s reaction while reading this...

Thankfully I avoided this one it seems but I would just forget about it and get it done sometime down the line

·
Super Moderator
5,543 Posts
So let me get this straight -
The engine sputters when the rocker arms fall off and the car dies on the highway. You get hit from behind, the wheels fall off, none of the air bags deploy and you break your neck because the head restraint falls apart on impact.....Am I missing something here.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve actually got this problem in my 3. Glad there’s an official recall so I don’t have to convince the dealer it’s actually a problem. I hope the fix isn’t unsightly. I always worry about dealership work.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine sputters when the rocker arms fall off and the car dies on the highway. You get hit from behind, the wheels fall off, none of the air bags deploy and you break your neck because the head restraint falls apart on impact.....Am I missing something here.....
:laughing001::laughing001:
Pretty much. I've had the car since April, and tbh, I'm surprised I'm still alive. LOL.

·
Rubber side down
256 Posts
That pretty much sums it up! So when Mazda started selling the new gen, was there any small print that stated these were a beta release? Maybe someone took all the camouflage wrap and panels off the test vehicles and started selling them. Either way, bad form Mazda.

Is it better to delay release of a car after proper testing and lose early sales or release a car far too soon and ruin your reputation? Any economics professors out there?

·
Super Moderator
678 Posts
These recalls usually affect only a small amount of people. A very small % in defects. Manufacturers are spending tons of money on fixing problems, even on cars that don't have the issues.

My Accord had a recall due to the higher pressure power steering hose leaking on the rear cat, causing it to catch on fire.
My car was one of the few that caught on fire...

·
Registered
33 Posts
That pretty much sums it up! So when Mazda started selling the new gen, was there any small print that stated these were a beta release? Maybe someone took all the camouflage wrap and panels off the test vehicles and started selling them. Either way, bad form Mazda.

Is it better to delay release of a car after proper testing and lose early sales or release a car far too soon and ruin your reputation? Any economics professors out there?
Mazda would 1000% rather fix something pre production vs releasing something they consider unfinished and issuing recalls.

Even scrapping 10s of thousands of dollars worth of tooling pre production to fix a flawed design is MUCH cheaper than recalling thousands and thousands of cars, they have to pay dealers to fix all these cars so they have a huge incentive to make sure these cars are as perfect as possible.

There were 65k mazda3s sold last year...imagine if everyone of them needed a 1 hour recall done, that’s 65,000 hours of labor that they are paying out.

·
Super Moderator
678 Posts
Mazda would 1000% rather fix something pre production vs releasing something they consider unfinished and issuing recalls.
That is false! On what basis do you make such a claim? Some issues are not apparent until you sell thousands of units and start receiving claims.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is false! On what basis do you make such a claim? Some issues are not apparent until you sell thousands of units and start receiving claims.
I don’t think you understood what I said.

I said mazda WOULDNT release a car with known issues, because it costs them more to recall it then fixing the design beforehand.

·
Super Moderator
678 Posts
I don’t think you understood what I said.

I said mazda WOULDNT release a car with known issues, because it costs them more to recall it then fixing the design beforehand.
You are correct. I misread that. My apologies!

·
Super Moderator
5,543 Posts
There were 65k mazda3s sold last year...imagine if everyone of them needed a 1 hour recall done, that’s 65,000 hours of labor that they are paying out.
So far 17,000 out of the 24,000 Mazda 3s produced up until May are subject to the PCM / rocker arm recall. 25,000 Mazda 3s are subject to recall for the wheel lug recall. Another 17,000 are subject to recall for the indicator light issue. Not only a lot of labor hours but a lot of customer time.....

·
Registered
277 Posts

It almost seems like Mazda benchmarked the Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare of the 1970s for most number of recalls in a first model year.

·
Rubber side down
256 Posts
My opinion, you are all exaggerating.
A regular buyer is happily driving and enjoying his car.
until...

The engine sputters when the rocker arms fall off and the car dies on the highway. You get hit from behind, the wheels fall off, none of the air bags deploy and you break your neck because the head restraint falls apart on impact.....
:laughing001::laughing001:

:chuck_norris 1:
:grin2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be like GM, trying to avoid taking care of Takata airbag recall

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/06/19/gm-seeks-avoid-takata-recalls-fourth-straight-year/39602461/

or Ford and just cover it up that some of your cars have bad transmissions

https://jalopnik.com/ford-knew-how-defective-its-fiesta-and-focus-transmissi-1836273922

Bottom line is no automaker can avoid recalls, especially with the increased technology the newer vehicles have. It is how that automaker handles the recalls
that matters.

So far my new Mazda has had 2 recalls and the dealership took care of both of them before I signed the paperwork to buy it. I'm also using the Mazda app on my phone and checking the Mazda website for any more recalls that may come up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could be like GM, trying to avoid taking care of Takata airbag recall

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/06/19/gm-seeks-avoid-takata-recalls-fourth-straight-year/39602461/

or Ford and just cover it up that some of your cars have bad transmissions

https://jalopnik.com/ford-knew-how-defective-its-fiesta-and-focus-transmissi-1836273922

Bottom line is no automaker can avoid recalls, especially with the increased technology the newer vehicles have. It is how that automaker handles the recalls
that matters.

So far my new Mazda has had 2 recalls and the dealership took care of both of them before I signed the paperwork to buy it. I'm also using the Mazda app on my phone and checking the Mazda website for any more recalls that may come up.
in the ford article it said NHTSA chose not to issue a recall. I find that incredibly perplexing and suspicious. Lucky for us mazda owners, mazda has no reports of injuries or deaths caused by any of the recalls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts