2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Angel Eyes Turn Off Delay

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mazdazoom 
#1 ·
I just installed a set of angel eyes and wired them to come on when the ignition is on. I was wondering though, is there any way I can have them remain on for like 10 seconds or so after I stop the car. I was thinking maybe there was some component I could install along the wire that controls whether it is on or off. Something that maybe senses when the power cuts off and makes it continue to draw power for an amount of time.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
why?

#4 ·
Install inline capacitors. They will charge when the lights are on and then discharge slowly when you turn the lights off. I have no idea what size you would need or how long they would keep the angel eyes on. Maybe someone with electical knowledge can jump in.

#6 ·
Caps won't work here in that configuration...you're thinking of a bleed off cap or how caps maintian memory pwr. What are the angel eye's made from...LED's? If the current draw is low enough maybe that would work but its how to integrate it. Do not put caps in series...your lights will not work at all and caps in paralell will only act as a filter ( on a pure DC circuit!)....and do not use pwr from the delayed footwell/dome light circuit...unless you want to chance burning up a $500 part.
I would trying googling timed 12v circuit or variants of...who know's maybe in the camper world thay have a plug/play box that does exatly what you need.

#5 ·
I think it's not worth the patience but each to his own, i would try having them on switch.

#7 · (Edited)
#8 ·
Thanks for the help so far. I should probably provide a little more detail about my setup. I have a wire that connects to the battery, a wire that is connected to a ground, a wire going to the angel eyes, and a single wire that is connected to a slot in my fuse box. All these wires connect at a relay switch. The single wire going to the fuse box is the wire that triggers the switch (when ignition power is on, the single wire signals the relay to deliver power to the angel eyes). You all probably know all this. Just thought I'd clarify.

However, I did find a possible solution...a time delay relay.

Time-delay relays : ELECTROMECHANICAL RELAYS

I no very little about electronics and circuits, but this looks like it might be what I need...Thoughts?

#10 ·
Now you're talkin! The trigger Voltage might be the challange here. Looking at the spec sheet it looks very do-able.
Just make sure your Angel eyes do not draw more current than the unit can support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.