2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have AA 1.13 installed in my 2016 Mazda 3. I used AIO tweaks to enable Wi-Fi and it has worked a couple of times but very inconsistently. I think that a large part of the problem is that while Wi-Fi is enabled, it is always unchecked when my car starts up. I navigate to Devices, pick Wi-Fi and enable it and AA sometimes works. As often, Wi-Fi turns itself off after a minute. The second or third time I do that, it finds my hot spot -- which has been on the whole time -- and AA starts.

1. Can I get Wi-Fi to be on when the car starts?
2. What should I expect the normal process to be to get in the car and get to AA wireless?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
My opinion (even if I used AIO AA wirless only two years ago, but read a lot about it since then):
  • AIO AA Wirless always seems to be less stable than via wire/cable.
  • Depending on your CMU part number there might be some WiFi issues - see this post: WiFi Hotspot problem
  • Perhaps a firmware update might help - depending what MZD firmware you are at at the moment.
...sorry, that I can not answer your questions, but I thought, that my thoughts might help you anyhow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1. Can I get Wi-Fi to be on when the car starts?
2. What should I expect the normal process to be to get in the car and get to AA wireless?
1. Doubtful: even Mazda cars with official WiFi capability, will, as a matter of course, need WiFi to be manually connected each time of use.
2. Following from above the 'normal Mazda' process will be as you've already found.

On Indigogo there is a start-up preparing to add a wireless box that connects to a car's USB Hub to allow wireless AA for all. Mazda isn't shown as supported, but that may be because Mazda is a small volume manufacturer. But it might be that Mazda wont't work. Who knows? It may be worth investing $57?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Doubtful: even Mazda cars with official WiFi capability, will, as a matter of course, need WiFi to be manually connected each time of use.
2. Following from above the 'normal Mazda' process will be as you've already found.
If only Devices wasn't so far over on the setup menu. :-(

On Indigogo there is a start-up preparing to add a wireless box that connects to a car's USB Hub to allow wireless AA for all. Mazda isn't shown as supported, but that may be because Mazda is a small volume manufacturer. But it might be that Mazda wont't work. Who knows? It may be worth investing $57?
Yeah, I've seen that. I was considering it before I found the newer tweaks and AA.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If only Devices wasn't so far over on the setup menu. :-(
In all honesty, you won't be happy with wireless on current Mazdas. The processor has just enough power to do what it was designed for and has little spare capacity. The large demand on the processor from a wireless connection causes the processor to heavily task schedule; hence it frequently stutters interrupting music playback..
I keep my phone mount near my screen and slipping the phone in and connecting a USB takes a couple of seconds; being wired also charges my phone whereas wireless will drain it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In all honesty, you won't be happy with wireless on current Mazdas. The processor has just enough power to do what it was designed for and has little spare capacity. The large demand on the processor from a wireless connection causes the processor to heavily task schedule; hence it frequently stutters interrupting music playback..
I keep my phone mount near my screen and slipping the phone in and connecting a USB takes a couple of seconds; being wired also charges my phone whereas wireless will drain it.
Thanks for the insight about the head unit performance. I have a 200-mile trip coming up. I'll see how it behaves. I'm guessing I'll contribute to the Indigogo campaign when I get back.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The indigogo stuff works like a smartphone connected to the official AA, but it's just a wireless bridge to your real smartphone.

How do you think your system will react if you haven't AA? It won't install itself...

Edit : exept if you can connect it to an external video entry, in this case it'll act as an external entry and your phone will be connected to this device but it's another project.

Edit 2 : Dev told it could works with AIO AA, but with some bugs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts