2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be new-ish and relatively naive here as it were, but I actually do NOT see a "Android Auto Q & A" topic here as it relates specifically to our Mazdas. (If there is, and I missed it, forgive me.) I think it would be very helpful so "end users" like me can figure out how things work, or should work with AA and the tweaks and such, without having to shovel through page after page of developer-type mumbo jumbo.

If I may, I'd like to start by asking a few questions.

In AA pressing the Home button on the console brings me to the Mazda home screen. Why doesn't bring me to the AA home screen instead, since scrolling all the way to the right (speedometer-looking icon) does the same thing?

In AA, pressing the music button on the console switches from regular radio to a music app, but pressing it again does not toggle it back to the radio! Instead, it goes silent. To go back to radio, you press the Favorite button (☆). What the hell?? That's hard to explain, much less understand the logic of such an arrangement. Why doesn't the music button simply act as a shortcut to your music apps? It gets worse...

In AA, pressing the NAV button, while on the AA home screen, does nothing (???) Why doesn't it act as a shortcut to your navigation apps? What's even more maddening, is when you are in a navigation app, pressing the NAV button brings you to the AA home screen!

This all seems very counterintuitive to me. Is there any reason for all this? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In AA, pressing the music button on the console switches from regular radio to a music app, but pressing it again does not toggle it back to the radio! Instead, it goes silent. To go back to radio, you press the Favorite button (☆). What the hell?? That's hard to explain, much less understand the logic of such an arrangement. Why doesn't the music button simply act as a shortcut to your music apps? It gets worse...
The Favourite button switches the audio between Android Auto and Mazda (I don't think this is limited to the Radio, but just whatever input is selected in the infotainment).

The Music button acts as a play/pause button. When you press it the first time AA plays audio. When you press it a second time, AA pauses audio. If you were listening to the radio and you press it, AA takes over audio automatically when playing, just like if you played something through the UI. The music button is an awesome tweak. The lack of a pause button in the Mazda system is infuriating.

No comment on the Nav button (hadn't noticed, tbh).

Also not sure what the idea with the Home button is. It would be nice if this could be changed to a double-tap, since I've accidentally gone back to the Mazda infotainment a few times.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just think AA should be more "transparent ", in other words, those console buttons should still do what they're supposed to do. Android Auto makes them downright screwy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want to understand how all this works. I was hoping to avoid arrogant comments that actually DISCOURAGE people from helping the developers...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What exactly does the "Android Auto Headunit" tweak do? Does AA still work in the car if that tweak is not installed?

·
'18 M3HGTP Eternal Blue
77 Posts
What exactly does the "Android Auto Headunit" tweak do? Does AA still work in the car if that tweak is not installed?
Based on the reading I've done, without the AIO AA "tweak", there is no AA. The "tweak" installs it.

AA is absolutely *NOT* available on my 100% stock car (picked up on Monday, 2 days ago). Mazda says it's "coming soon"... and has been saying that for over a year. :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a different issue. My mazda 3 2014 GT does not let me navigate in android auto. I can only select the icons that are visible on the display and can't scroll down even with the navigation button, it doesn't work. any idea as to why the touch or the navigation doesn't work for android auto?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts