2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 766 Posts

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone it's me Trez, your friendly neighborhood Mazda hacker extraordinaire and developer of AIO.
When I took over the AIO project from my good buddy @Siutsch back in December
, the issue with AA causing a bootloop after factory reset had just been fixed. Shortly after the code was refactored to allow a stronger, more stable connection between headunit and phone but for some reason this caused all calls to reroute to the handset which is the not at all ideal especially while driving. For months many thousands of people have used this app and none of them have been able to use one of only 3 functions this app is suppose to perform and the only function that even makes a 'phone' deserve to be called by its own name. A few of those thousands of people with the skills to tackle an issue like this tried to solve it with no success. I think the major difference between them and me is that they didn't get literally HUNDREDS of emails asking the same question and then also have it asked hundreds more times in a forum thread where they are one of the main people giving answers.
My point is it was very annoying and I guess that is good motivation because, despite the fact that going into it I had almost no C++ skills and I didn't even know what ALSA was, I became so determined to fix it that in the past month I spent somewhere between 50 - 100 hours of my free time researching, learning, coding, building, testing, failing, scratching my eyes out, and repeat. I'll admit that as a hacker I do enjoy learning all kinds of computing languages, tweaking tricks, loopholes, workarounds, security flaws, etc but being focused on one super specific thing where you know the answer is literally less than a needle in a haystack of code (because the ultimate fix only took removing 4 letters and needle has 6 letters get it :001_huh 1:) can get infuriating when you think you and everyone else looking have sifted through every piece of god damn of hay in the stack and its just not there until you realize that it's not in the hay at all, the whole time it was stuck in the side of the hay truck. Thats right, no one could fix Android Auto because it wasn't broken, the infotainment system itself is what needed to be fixed. So I did it, I found it, I'm the winner of the fix AA game, I will just add it to my hefty list of breakthroughs I've made for this community. hope you enjoyed that little rant because it was straight from my very annoyed heart...

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• If you turned on your developer settings set them all back to normal especially uncheck unknown sources. If you don't this may not work for you.
    • Your phone has to be connected to Bluetooth, wait for all your contacts and messages to finish importing before trying to make a call or you will probably lose video focus.
    • Video focus is not perfectly done so you might lose it to the mazda calling screen sometimes, pressing the "home" button will get you out of what seems like a frozen state and then you can choose Android Auto from the applications menu and you should be able to open the app back to the AA call screen without dropping the call.
    • Only a few people have tested this so far and although in theory it should work with every kind of phone that works with AA, that is not a guarantee I can make.
    • If you are having issues try rebooting your phone first and then the infotainment system, or just do them both at the same time that's what I do.
    • I hid the link to download this version of AA in the word "unnecessary" in the next note on this list. That was a pretty good idea to trick everyone into reading these notes wasn't it?
    • If you are going to post an issue here please include your firmware version, what kind of phone you are using, and detailed description of the issue, don't just say "help my bluetooth still doesn't work" to which I would reply "ok can you give me your firmware version, what phone you are using and describe the issue?" Do see how those are 2 unnecessary posts?
    • That is not saying that I don't want anyone reporting issues because I absolutely do and the more detailed the better. An awesome person would give me, on top of the basic info, a detailed account of their MULTIPLE experiences because they had done several tests and variations of actions and made detailed accounts of what happened each time and maybe even dug up some system log files for me to look at so I can effectively resolve the issue.
    • This will be in the next version of AIO this is basically a beta test run before I put it in the next AIO version, I honestly didn't even look at or think about coding AIO for a long time because I was so focused on solving this issue. Plus so many of you are going to be ecstatic to be able to call with AA I just had to get it out there as soon as I could and I did because I had only finally discovered the answer only a few days ago and have been making adjustments all night up until the moment I am typing this at 4AM on a Saturday morning.
Now go out and enjoy truly fully functional Android Auto

ps. if you are looking down here for a download link go back up and read all the notes very carefully and slowly. Reeeaaalllly just take your time read, understand, and absorb the notes, then you'll find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, just wanted to say that I, and everyone, really appreciates all the work you've done and put into the entire infotainment tweaking community. Investing heaps of time into something that gives tremendous value to us all for free is really selfless of you. Hope we weren't too annoying with email spam :p. I'll be donating what I can and I hope others do too.

Thanks again for all the effort :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I remember when the Android O beta had just came out, it broke functionality with AA so I went back to Nougat. I upgraded to the final version of Android Oreo and again, nothing happens when I plug my phone into my car. I assumed they would have fixed it between beta and final.

In any case, I really appreciate all your hard work.
As soon as I downgrade back to Android Nougat and confirm this to be working, I'll be sure to donate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1, head unit running .441 version. Bluetooth working well, but it freezes, and you have to press the menu to unfreeze it (which I know was mentioned in the OP), but when making a call it takes you to the Mazda phone call screen and doesn't keep you in Android Auto. Is this supposed to happen? I wait about two minutes to make a phone call so I assume all of my contacts and my phone are completely synced and imported

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll try it out and donate when you incorporate the fix in the SD autorun version.
Thank you Trez!!
Hey I made a patch that you can apply to any version of AA: http://aabt.mazdatweaks.win
That will just install the BT call patch and not AA itself so you can use it with whatever AA version you want and it should work with ANY version of Android Auto.

BYOAA :beerchug 1:

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nexus 6P running Android 7.1.1, head unit running .441 version. Bluetooth working well, but it freezes, and you have to press the menu to unfreeze it (which I know was mentioned in the OP), but when making a call it takes you to the Mazda phone call screen and doesn't keep you in Android Auto. Is this supposed to happen? I wait about two minutes to make a phone call so I assume all of my contacts and my phone are completely synced and imported
Video focus issues are next on the list to fix but for now just enjoy being able to make a call with your car speakers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey I made a patch that you can apply to any version of AA: http://aabt.mazdatweaks.win
That will just install the BT call patch and not AA itself so you can use it with whatever AA version you want and it should work with ANY version of Android Auto.

BYOAA :beerchug 1:
I don't get how the patch will apply itself to the AA SD card, since Mechabouncer stated that the SD standalone AA resides on the card rather than in the CMU.

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't get how the patch will apply itself to the AA SD card, since Mechabouncer stated that the SD standalone AA resides on the card rather than in the CMU.
Its because like I said with the needle in a haystack analogy where the needle wasn't actually in the haystack that's why no one could find it the patch is not to AA itself it is applied to the sound configuration in the infotainment system.

Also quick tip for everyone if you are loosing video focus when placing a call try this: Exit AA and make the call from the Mazda call screen THEN open AA from the app menu. That should work well if that's an issue you are having.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its because like I said with the needle in a haystack analogy where the needle wasn't actually in the haystack that's why no one could find it the patch is not to AA itself it is applied to the sound configuration in the infotainment system.
Hi Trez, thank you for the amazing work! Just one question: if the patch is applied to the car's infotainment system itself, can the change be uninstalled in case I decide to remove the tweaks?

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Trez, thank you for the amazing work! Just one question: if the patch is applied to the car's infotainment system itself, can the change be uninstalled in case I decide to remove the tweaks?
Sure, it will be included in the AA uninstall when I finish the next version of AIO or you can use this installer to install/uninstall the patch by itself

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hey everyone it's me Trez, your friendly neighborhood Mazda hacker extraordinaire and developer of AIO.
When I took over the AIO project from my good buddy @Siutsch back in December
, the issue with AA causing a bootloop after factory reset had just been fixed. Shortly after the code was refactored to allow a stronger, more stable connection between headunit and phone but for some reason this caused all calls to reroute to the handset which is the not at all ideal especially while driving. For months many thousands of people have used this app and none of them have been able to use one of only 3 functions this app is suppose to perform and the only function that even makes a 'phone' deserve to be called by its own name. A few of those thousands of people with the skills to tackle an issue like this tried to solve it with no success. I think the major difference between them and me is that they didn't get literally HUNDREDS of emails asking the same question and then also have it asked hundreds more times in a forum thread where they are one of the main people giving answers.
My point is it was very annoying and I guess that is good motivation because, despite the fact that going into it I had almost no C++ skills and I didn't even know what ALSA was, I became so determined to fix it that in the past month I spent somewhere between 50 - 100 hours of my free time researching, learning, coding, building, testing, failing, scratching my eyes out, and repeat. I'll admit that as a hacker I do enjoy learning all kinds of computing languages, tweaking tricks, loopholes, workarounds, security flaws, etc but being focused on one super specific thing where you know the answer is literally less than a needle in a haystack of code (because the ultimate fix only took removing 4 letters and needle has 6 letters get it :001_huh 1:) can get infuriating when you think you and everyone else looking have sifted through every piece of god damn of hay in the stack and its just not there until you realize that it's not in the hay at all, the whole time it was stuck in the side of the hay truck. Thats right, no one could fix Android Auto because it wasn't broken, the infotainment system itself is what needed to be fixed. So I did it, I found it, I'm the winner of the fix AA game, I will just add it to my hefty list of breakthroughs I've made for this community. hope you enjoyed that little rant because it was straight from my very annoyed heart...

IMPORTANT NOTES:
  • If you turned on your developer settings set them all back to normal especially uncheck unknown sources. If you don't this may not work for you.
  • Your phone has to be connected to Bluetooth, wait for all your contacts and messages to finish importing before trying to make a call or you will probably lose video focus.
  • Video focus is not perfectly done so you might lose it to the mazda calling screen sometimes, pressing the "home" button will get you out of what seems like a frozen state and then you can choose Android Auto from the applications menu and you should be able to open the app back to the AA call screen without dropping the call.
  • Only a few people have tested this so far and although in theory it should work with every kind of phone that works with AA, that is not a guarantee I can make.
  • If you are having issues try rebooting your phone first and then the infotainment system, or just do them both at the same time that's what I do.
  • I hid the link to download this version of AA in the word "unnecessary" in the next note on this list. That was a pretty good idea to trick everyone into reading these notes wasn't it?
  • If you are going to post an issue here please include your firmware version, what kind of phone you are using, and detailed description of the issue, don't just say "help my bluetooth still doesn't work" to which I would reply "ok can you give me your firmware version, what phone you are using and describe the issue?" Do see how those are 2 unnecessary posts?
  • That is not saying that I don't want anyone reporting issues because I absolutely do and the more detailed the better. An awesome person would give me, on top of the basic info, a detailed account of their MULTIPLE experiences because they had done several tests and variations of actions and made detailed accounts of what happened each time and maybe even dug up some system log files for me to look at so I can effectively resolve the issue.
  • This will be in the next version of AIO this is basically a beta test run before I put it in the next AIO version, I honestly didn't even look at or think about coding AIO for a long time because I was so focused on solving this issue. Plus so many of you are going to be ecstatic to be able to call with AA I just had to get it out there as soon as I could and I did because I had only finally discovered the answer only a few days ago and have been making adjustments all night up until the moment I am typing this at 4AM on a Saturday morning.
If you're super appreciative and want to donate to fund my tireless efforts I will gladly accept:https://paypal.me/trevelopment
Now go out and enjoy truly fully functional Android Auto

ps. if you are looking down here for a download link go back up and read all the notes very carefully and slowly. Reeeaaalllly just take your time read, understand, and absorb the notes, then you'll find it.
Thank you! This works fine on Android Auto .93 and I'll report back after a few more usage. Now I don't have to close AA and call then turn on AA. I mainly stick to .93 because I use a in-car android auto smartphone but I play music (youtube, google music off my main smartphone through bluetooth). The Android auto 1.02 cuts off the bluetooth music on other devices.

PS: Anyone know how to get auto-start on .93?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks @Trezdog44, I just want to let you know that the file /etc/asound.conf is a link file and that the real file is named /ect/asound.conf.LHD. I've tested replacing this file and it's working good.

Thanks for all your effort

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the effort.

I tried for the first time to get this working but my Huawei mate 9 just infinitely cycles "Connecting To Android Auto" in the notification tray and the android auto app keeps popping up for 1/10th of a second for ever.

When that isn't happening, the car shows just a black screen on the android auto app.

Seems like AA is QUITE sketch even in oem fully supported radios.

I seriously hope the entire industry doesn't adopt AA or the apple solution. Having so many devices and cables introduces too many unknowns. The supported list of phones can be completely wiped out by a carrier update. I think these types of systems need to be fully baked into the infotainment and just use the cars BT connection for data..

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @Trezdog44, I just want to let you know that the file /etc/asound.conf is a link file and that the real file is named /ect/asound.conf.LHD. I've tested replacing this file and it's working good.
Thanks for all your effort
Well its asound.conf.LHD if you are in a country that is Left Hand Drive or else its asound.conf.RHD Right Hand Drive and really that is only for the navigation notifications how it lowers the volume of only the speakers on one side. It should work either way if you replace the link file it becomes a real file and the system uses it but that is something I could have considered more so I'll think of a better way to make it all work

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the effort.
I tried for the first time to get this working but my Huawei mate 9 just infinitely cycles "Connecting To Android Auto" in the notification tray and the android auto app keeps popping up for 1/10th of a second for ever.
When that isn't happening, the car shows just a black screen on the android auto app
Seems like AA is QUITE sketch even in oem fully supported radios.
I seriously hope the entire industry doesn't adopt AA or the apple solution. Having so many devices and cables introduces too many unknowns. The supported list of phones can be completely wiped out by a carrier update. I think these types of systems need to be fully baked into the infotainment and just use the cars BT connection for data..
Actually AA does not use the BT connection at all, all data is transferred over the USB connection. The BT connection is only used because Android phones need to be connected to BT to use calling by design since there is no 'USB call mode' but AA is actually transferring that data over USB. That's why there was a clash between AA calling and BT calling (on the audio input streams) causing the BT call bug. There's no way all the AA data could be transferred by only bluetooth its just too much data with navigation, music, and phone all at the same time you would have all kinds of stuttering problems and stuff like that.
when its popping up for less than a second that is because the connection isn't solid like maybe you don't have the cable in the phone or the usb port all the way or your cable is broken and has a little disconnect. If the black screen pops up then its working you should try rebooting your phone then try rebooting the system then try rebooting them both at the same time.
You can also try putting your phone in PTP or MTP mode or try all the different usb modes you can put your phone into.
or when you get the black screen pull down your notifications and tap car mode it will disconnect and reconnect really quick that works for me sometimes.
last thing you can try is messing with your setting in the AA app on your phone like turn on and off use bluetooth or turn off auto launch on bluetooth or whatever I guess you can also try the developer options if you got this far and its still not working.
If you tried all those things and it still doesn't work it may be a compatibility issue with your phone and there may be nothing you can do to make it work.

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you! This works fine on Android Auto .93 and I'll report back after a few more usage. Now I don't have to close AA and call then turn on AA. I mainly stick to .93 because I use a in-car android auto smartphone but I play music (youtube, google music off my main smartphone through bluetooth). The Android auto 1.02 cuts off the bluetooth music on other devices.
PS: Anyone know how to get auto-start on .93?
The same change that makes AA autostart would also cause the problem that cuts the bluetooth music on your second device because it is not a small change, it is a fundamental change to the app that comes with a lot of side effects that being one of them.

1 - 20 of 766 Posts