2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If my husband touches ZZ without my permission, I'll kill him!

I like the stereo, it sounds fine to me. Of course, I don't know why my hubby buys half the sound and TV equipment he does, it all sounds the same to me, loud with lots of BOOM.

I read this thread, and all I can say is, my husband blew up my old Bose speakers back in the 90's. We were watching Terminator 2 and one of the speakers just turned into dust, poof. He said it was a crummy speaker, but I thought it was fine.

Oh well, I'll have to keep an eye on this forum, just to see what hubby is plotting!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can only assume that you are the the "Victim" of ntechnic :)

My wife is the same way. Her loud is my quiet, Her bass is my trebel, her "unbelievable sound" is my "thats ok".

Luckily, she puts up with me as it seems you do with ntechnic. As i mentioned i doubt I have the same level of distinguished taste in audio quality that he has, however I'm definatly picky and always fiddling with my systems.

Even when i devote myself to a new project, telling myself all along the way that "THIS is all i will ever need" as soon as its done I find something that could be changed in the future. Its as much the project as it is the result.

My home network is the same way. I've probably got around 3-4k worth of server/networking gear wired up and stuffed in a closet in my apartment's second bedroom. My setup would be very comfortable in a 20-person office doing backups, exchange, citrix, etc... but it is in my closet and I'll never even utilize half of its capabilities. Oh well, at least I can stream 1080p to my PS3.

Here's to patient wives!:clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Patient wives, I'll drink to that!:beerchug 1:

The only upgrade my wife ever really stood up and took notice of was back when I got our first hi-def TV and fed it hi-def images from our Dish satellite. She noticed that! Other than that, all of the upgrades and work on sound and image has been subtle to her.

Although, c'mon hon, admit it, Friday night family movies on the 100" screen with 7.2 surround sound looks and sounds better than most movie theaters.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, I noticed no one has commented here for a while. I am a new owner of a 2010 Mazda3 Sport without the bose system "upgrade". I figured I will have an aftermarket solution anyway, so why waste the money.

I will pick up my car later this week.

Has anyone upgraded their stereo and changed their deck while keeping the original factory functions working?

Meaning, the steering wheel controls, the bluetooth, trip computer and all the other stuff with an aftermarket deck of any sort?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i'd like to see some type of schematic of the stereo or something along those lines to see what type of connections it already has. does anyone know the watts output of the stock head unit? i don't want to lose the functionality of the middle console.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey guys, I noticed no one has commented here for a while. I am a new owner of a 2010 Mazda3 Sport without the bose system "upgrade". I figured I will have an aftermarket solution anyway, so why waste the money.

I will pick up my car later this week.

Has anyone upgraded their stereo and changed their deck while keeping the original factory functions working?

Meaning, the steering wheel controls, the bluetooth, trip computer and all the other stuff with an aftermarket deck of any sort?
Check out these guys:

iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

They make interface kits to let factory steering wheel controls handle aftermarket radios. I have a Mazda 3 with the Bose package and BT - now my wife is spoiled and she wants our Lexus RX to have the same controls - so I am getting ready to put an aftermarket stereo in the RX and I plan to use the pac-audio stuff to give me a factory integration. Crutchfield sells it, so I know they are not some obscure company.

The only thing is that their listings cover Mazda 3 through 08 - it may take a phone call to determine if they will have a '10 offering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out these guys:

iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

They make interface kits to let factory steering wheel controls handle aftermarket radios. I have a Mazda 3 with the Bose package and BT - now my wife is spoiled and she wants our Lexus RX to have the same controls - so I am getting ready to put an aftermarket stereo in the RX and I plan to use the pac-audio stuff to give me a factory integration. Crutchfield sells it, so I know they are not some obscure company.

The only thing is that their listings cover Mazda 3 through 08 - it may take a phone call to determine if they will have a '10 offering.
Hey alphadog,

Thanks for the heads up on that unit.

So thats 50 percent of the issue solved if they do have 2010 support. The second thing is, the computer and clock functions.

So far it seems they are lost after the factory head unit is replaced.

Is there a way to avoid that?

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
I do not see how you can get a correct 'image' when your left leg is blocking the door-mounted speaker and the passenger is blocking the right (if applicable) ?

I guess I'm the crazy one here but I PREFER to be in the 'middle' of the instruments 'onstage' instead of out in the 'audience'......if I adjust balance to sound good to me so I'm 'in' the center of the audiience...it can be annoying to the passenger, and vice-versa....

An old trick we used to do in my hippie days was to connect the rear speakers "-" terminals together and run just the L-R "+" to the rear speakers.....made for some nice 'atmosphere'....

·
1,091 Posts
Hey alphadog,

Thanks for the heads up on that unit.

So thats 50 percent of the issue solved if they do have 2010 support. The second thing is, the computer and clock functions.

So far it seems they are lost after the factory head unit is replaced.

Is there a way to avoid that?
Sounds like you've been reading far too much into the 2004-2009 generation 3s and applying it to the 2010.

Pull out your dash vent, take out the two screws holding in your head unit, disconnect it, turn on your car and then look at your MID and tell me what you see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too have B&W speakers in my house and absolutely love them. I work at the Mitsubishi plant in Normal Il, yes I am a trader:shocked:. We use Rockford Fosgate components in some of our cars. I'm not saying they are the best in the world, but they seem to be a lot better quality components than what our car does.
This made me think of a review that I read recently of the new Suzuki Kisashi in the January issue of Automobile Magazine. In the high-end versions, Suzuki is using Rockford Fosgate sound systems. When I got to this part (p. 72) I laughed so hard I almost choked on whetever I was snacking on:

"The SLS model is trimmed in leather and has heated front seats and a Rockford Fosgate sound system. If you're not familiar with Rockford, it's like Bose for people who drink wine out of a box."

I have a really nice system in our Mini with two RF amps driving JL Audio speakers. Maybe if Mazda chose RF, I wouldn't be planning on removing the entire system (except head unit) in the days immediately after getting my 3.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
BOSE has been so hit and miss these days. In my Z06, it was great, in my audi it was great. Then in a 350Z drove it was useless, as it is in full sized trucks. Bring a complete set of CD's and test everything out to see if you like it. On my 2006 BMW Z4 the stock stereo was by far the best I have ever heard, hit every high note, every low note and everything in between. Just amazing!

·
Registered
16 Posts
On a sad note, my wife told me I can't touch her car, so I can't upgrade the system. She doesn't have a very good ear, so she doesn't care what it sounds like.
What would you do to updgrade the system? OK, let me rephrase that - what could I do to upgrade the system with a $1000 budget?

Kent

·
Insert Witty Title Here..
353 Posts
I found this on the Bose site, and thought it was a hoot. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

a. Can I add a CD player or changer?
Yes, in most cases. When Bose works with a car company to design a sound system, we almost always include provisions for adding CD capability. To learn which CD players or changers will work best, contact your vehicle dealer. If you're not sure whether your car has the option of adding a CD player or changer, contact automotive for more information.
b. Can I add a new radio?
No. Each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. That's why the music sounds so rich and lifelike. To help achieve this sound quality, special circuits are built into the system, including the radio. If you install a new radio, you lose these circuits. This can result in decreased sound quality, incorrect bass and treble balance, distortion at high volumes, loss of bass at low volumes and in some cases, no audio output at all. In addition, changing the display, which is also known as a headunit, will void the warranty on your Bose sound system.
c. Can I add a subwoofer?
No. As noted above, each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. If you add a subwoofer to the system, its output is unlikely to be proportionate with that of speakers already in place. In most cases, adding a subwoofer will detract from—not enhance—the sound quality.

now is it just me, or does Bose sound like they are saying that they are the tell all, end all of audio? hahaha

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bose is a company who is great at marketing, not making great audio components, thats how come they get $400 for a stupid clock radio and then try to say it's better than good home audio equipment. Bose stopped making anything audiophile grade about 30 years ago and set out to become the greatest marketing company instead. Bose = Bloze

·
Newb... =)
745 Posts
I found this on the Bose site, and thought it was a hoot. Thought you guys might get a kick out of it.

a. Can I add a CD player or changer?
Yes, in most cases. When Bose works with a car company to design a sound system, we almost always include provisions for adding CD capability. To learn which CD players or changers will work best, contact your vehicle dealer. If you're not sure whether your car has the option of adding a CD player or changer, contact automotive for more information.
b. Can I add a new radio?
No. Each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. That's why the music sounds so rich and lifelike. To help achieve this sound quality, special circuits are built into the system, including the radio. If you install a new radio, you lose these circuits. This can result in decreased sound quality, incorrect bass and treble balance, distortion at high volumes, loss of bass at low volumes and in some cases, no audio output at all. In addition, changing the display, which is also known as a headunit, will void the warranty on your Bose sound system.
c. Can I add a subwoofer?
No. As noted above, each Bose automotive sound system is completely integrated, with the elements custom-engineered to work together as a whole. If you add a subwoofer to the system, its output is unlikely to be proportionate with that of speakers already in place. In most cases, adding a subwoofer will detract from—not enhance—the sound quality.

now is it just me, or does Bose sound like they are saying that they are the tell all, end all of audio? hahaha
LOL!! this made my day! :lol 1:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts