2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

For anyone with the analog HVAC controls (ie the three knobs for temp, fan, and vent position), what are your feelings on the temperature sensitivity?

I find the temperature to be almost binary -- it's either freezing cold or boiling hot and not much in between. I had the car in for my 10k oil change today and asked them to look at it, they put a camera down there and said the blend door is functioning perfectly, so I'm wondering if they're lying, I'm overly sensitive, or this is just the way it works? Anyone else have thoughts or experiences?

Please, the non-climate control folks only, I"m sure everyone with the electronic nonsense works fine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If the temp knob is on full max and you have it on recirc... it will be very cold, or cool you off quicker..if it's too cold turn temp knob the other way to raise temp. Since it's not auto YOU must adjust temperature.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the temp knob is on full max and you have it on recirc... it will be very cold, or cool you off quicker..if it's too cold turn temp knob the other way to raise temp. Since it's not auto YOU must adjust temperature.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

I know how it's supposed to work. My point is, if I start at "all the way to cold" it's nice and cold, as it should be. If I go one click at a time clockwise through the dial (waiting an appropriate amount of time after each click), nothing happens until I hit about "12 o'clock" on the dial, at which point it just gets hot. Ther'es no... "less cold" or "warm", just "cold" all the way through the dial until it's "hot." I"ve had a good dozen cars in my life, every one with the same analog climate control, and there is a full range of temperatures on the dial, not just two.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not....

I know how it's supposed to work. My point is, if I start at "all the way to cold" it's nice and cold, as it should be. If I go one click at a time clockwise through the dial (waiting an appropriate amount of time after each click), nothing happens until I hit about "12 o'clock" on the dial, at which point it just gets hot. Ther'es no... "less cold" or "warm", just "cold" all the way through the dial until it's "hot." I"ve had a good dozen cars in my life, every one with the same analog climate control, and there is a full range of temperatures on the dial, not just two.
Maybe the system just takes a little bit of time to change temps? I'm more apt to think the regulator in the system is defective though. Bring it to another dealership, you seem to be able to reproduce this fairly easily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agreed

TheBobmanNH - I have the base model with the manual knobs, and I completely agree. The temperature is essentially binary - very cold or very hot.

I do not get any heat until I set the fan speed to the highest or second-highest setting. Then I hear a "pop" after which it is blowing only hot air. I continue to get (only) hot air until I set the fan speed to the lowest or second-lowest setting, after which it switches to entirely cold.

I had it in to the dealer today, and they said they repaired a short in the wire to the heater. I took the car away and found NO DIFFERENCE. I returned only to be told that this is "normal" for these cars.

I left again (to experiment and look into this further), and discovered that if I set the fan speed to MAX and the temperature to COLD I still get very hot air. Since the temperature knob was set to cold, THAT is definitely NOT normal.

TheBobmanNH, did you eventually get the 'binary' heat fixed? Has anyone else had the problem I am describing? I don't mind if it is a manufacturing defect, or if the technician just missed the real problem, but being told this is "normal" has NOT left me a happy camper.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have these knobs and I don't find that it's a problem for me. I live in a rather cold city and I find that each little notch or so tends to make a difference.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I left again (to experiment and look into this further), and discovered that if I set the fan speed to MAX and the temperature to COLD I still get very hot air. Since the temperature knob was set to cold, THAT is definitely NOT normal.

TheBobmanNH, did you eventually get the 'binary' heat fixed? Has anyone else had the problem I am describing? I don't mind if it is a manufacturing defect, or if the technician just missed the real problem, but being told this is "normal" has NOT left me a happy camper.
What you describe at the end here is DEFINITELY not normal and you'll have to go back describing that problem specifically I guess.

I haven't yet noticed a particular problem although I'm not looking hard either. I did notice that: blowing the fan through the dash vents with no a/c on a 60ish degree sunny day with the temp all the way cold maybe, possibly, didn't give me as much comfort as I might expect. But that is a marginal complaint. In other words, I thought the fresh air possibly wasn't as cold as I would expect. When I put the a/c on it was very cold and I had to turn the temp way up to be comfortable in that instance.

Although I haven't marked it down in my mind as a problem (at least not yet), I will say I do recall a couple of times on recent cooler mornings where I was flipping the temp back and forth a notch or two around the midline. But since I am one who is often changing the temp setting anyway I may notice it less than most.

I have not found my example to be truly binary. But I am a veteran of annoying heater control valves in older cars. I suspect even with the manual knob controls in this 3 it is still some kind of electric connection. In my earlier cars the inside temp knob was connected by CABLE directly to the heater control valve. That direct connection can get out of whack. With some kind of electrically operated setup, I'm sure it can still get out of whack or have a faulty component. Somewhere there is still a temp control valve of some kind that lets the coolant flow through the heater core. Additionally the air blend doors could be in play I suppose. One should get a range of temps so I certainly would think binary hot/cold is faulty.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TheBobmanNH - I have the base model with the manual knobs, and I completely agree. The temperature is essentially binary - very cold or very hot.

I do not get any heat until I set the fan speed to the highest or second-highest setting. Then I hear a "pop" after which it is blowing only hot air. I continue to get (only) hot air until I set the fan speed to the lowest or second-lowest setting, after which it switches to entirely cold.

I had it in to the dealer today, and they said they repaired a short in the wire to the heater. I took the car away and found NO DIFFERENCE. I returned only to be told that this is "normal" for these cars.

Jason, this is most definitely not what I was experiencing. The fan speed is just that, the fan speed. My complaint is with teh behavior of the temperature knob -- anything to the left of straight up and down is just "cold" and anythin to the right is just "hot." Adjusting the fan speed just makes the cold or hot air blow out faster or slower, not hotter or colder, for me. Yours sounds like a fixable problem; I have a feeling what I'm seeing is just poor design.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I agree that the hvac is too "binary". I crank the heat to warm up the cabin up to temp but once it's warm I'll turn the hot/cold knob to the 12 o'clock position. I usually have to play around with it several times on long trips to maintain the cabin temperature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
im going to ask the dealer to take a look at this issue next week

another annoyance with the hvac controls - there is a very hard CLICK when turning the selector knob to the far right (full defrost) mode. basically WAY more resistance than any of the other positions. has anyone else else noticed that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought I was crazy!!!! I have the exact same issue, took it to the dealer, and they thought I was crazy too. Im experiencing the same thing...I was in my wife's ford escape the other day and every click of the temperature gauge changed the temp of the air blowing out from the vents. Got back into my car and there are only 2 temperature settings, Hot/Cold, no adjustment. I have another oil change coming up, and I fully intend on getting the dealer to look at this again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let us know if you get any satisfaction from them, but I have a feeling you won't. Seems like some kind of design problem, not a fixable one.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts