2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my '15 Solar Red sGT hatch out at the park last week on one of the warmest, brightest, sunniest days we've had in a while. As you know, that color really pops in the sunlight. As I was standing in the back getting my bike out, an older couple -- not obvious car buff types -- walked up and asked me if it was a custom paint job!

I explained that it was a factory-available color but that it was a special three-layer process and they said how "deep" it looked, like a hot rod done up in candy apple red.

I agree, and have received several other compliments on the color. Anyone else had this reaction from a bystander?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a similar experience for me and a customer a while back. Had a customer go on an extended test drive (put a plate on it, give the guy the keys, and let him go on his own). I randomly picked a red 6 from my lot since all he wanted to do was try it out and originally he was on a 3 but felt the back seats were too small. About an hour and a half later, he decided to buy. He went to lunch with the car and he got the same reaction from some passer-bys. I still mention it to him every now and then when I follow up and jokingly ask if he got any more compliments.

This is definitely the best red Mazda came up with. Glad they didn't decide on the Zeal Red that's on the CX-9.

I get complements on my Jet black Mica. I had it washed and waxed one day and it was really nice out. I've had black cars before (my 300ZX) and I never really get complements on the color. There's just something about the paint Mazda uses I still can't put my finger on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its the mica based paint that mazda uses as opposed to a metallic paint in other cars.

The mica flakes in the paint scatter light in different directions changing the hue/color depending on what angle you're looking at it. It gives it a deeper and richer color. Metallic paint scatters light evenly in all directions so the color looks like same at every angle. The only downside is it's harder to color match if it needs to be repainted.

I've also received a ton of compliments on my deep crystal blue hatch

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Yes, the mica really does give the paint colors additional depth. I have yet to receive any compliments, though, probably because I've got the Liquid Silver. :|

·
Registered
88 Posts
SR is a gorgeous color. VR was rather atrocious. And VRM was always a favorite red of mine. I think SR takes the cake.

I know this - the Snowflake White on my 3 has nothing against the Whitewater Pearl on my Speed6. I loved that color.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wow, you all like it. Personally, I can't stand sparkly red color. I really wish they just came out with a Bright give me a ticket red for it. I've gotten a number of people who ask me about my car and what I think of it even with my liquid silver color. Though, I'm not really a fan of all the colors being named after nail polish colors.

·
Registered
88 Posts
^LOL!

I wouldn't ever personally own a SR or VRM colored Mazda. But, they are admirable, lovely colors.

I own a bright ticket me red 67 Skylark. Looks good on it. But still, not my top preference. XD

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree...the mica paints are a step above the rest. I've gotten lots of compliments in the past month on the jet black mica. People like how it shimmers and appears to morph and move and change colors slightly with the light and the angle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have to agree.. Never been a fan of red cars but fell in love with the Soul Red Mica.. My GT look great in it.
I was originally getting one in snowflake white but I noticed this on one in the lot.. ImageUploadedByAG Free1431930436.682784.jpg buzzkill for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts