2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

At the end of September, I bought a 2012 Liquid Silver Mazda 3 2.0L Skyactiv HB 6MT

I've put ~1600mi on since then and it has been pretty fun.

This is neither my first manual, nor my first Mazda.

Previously, I had a red 1993 Mazda Miata 5MT; this car is responsible for igniting a love of a) manual transmissions, b) small-ish cars and c) working on vehicles:yes:

For that car I did mostly minor and medium sized projects on my own. It never really required too much work.

I switched worn rubber hoses for new silicone ones, painted the original daises, swapped out daisies for TRMotorsport C1M 15x7 +30 in 205/50 Kumho Ecsta's. Also, I painted both the side view mirrors and the windshield surround (the body trim piece) satin black. Switched out the rotors and pads, replaced the tired stock suspension with KYB GR2's with FCM bumpstops. Later on, like 2 months before trading it in, I installed BC BR series coilovers. I also did smaller routine stuff (oil changes, spark plugs, cleaning valve cover, etc.)

Like I said it was fun and made me appreciate cars more, but I felt that it was also pretty close to needing major monies to fix, which could be too costly.

So, now I have the Mazda 3 HB with the 6spd MT. Which I like, alot and is growing on me every day. (how sweet would a RWD version be though:shocked:)

I look forward to reading your posts and learning info about my new vehicle!

Here a few pics I have taken recently (today and w/in the last 2 wks).

Attachments

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
Welcome! Any plans for the car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Any plans for the car?
Thanks!

Probably just some minor stuff, I don't want to fcuk up any dealer warranty I may have.

Definitely: rims & tires (MS3 18X7.5 +52.5, prob in Kumho Ecsta's), tint (~20-30%), emblems (front M - black, with background piece - liquid silver; back - black)
Likely: RM or RB springs, shave off "3" and maybe "Skyactiv" to replace with "Axela", sways, end-links,
Neither likely nor unlikely: BC coilovers
Definitely not: anything with forced induction

Also, I've read alot about SRIs and CAIs (the battle between Injen, Simota and CS are pretty legendary), exhausts (cat-less, 1 resonator, 2 resonators, no resonators, test/racing pipes, 2nd gen 2.3 and 2.5 exhausts on Skyactiv's) and a shitload on painted emblems, LED interior lights, fog lights, tailights and etc.

I went through many a build threads: Seven02, XGriz, Crespo, Swsmailman and Rherold9 among others.

All were full of good ideas.

Are there any suggestions you'd like to make?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Very nice looking ride Love the color choice!
Ha thanks, it was a little bit of a forced choice: I test drove a black one, which would have been my first choice (glad I didn't now), then it was sold. The had multiple CWP ones, but none in MT.

This was it and I liked it. It seemed to still be sleek, but with the added advantage of not showing *everything*:yes:.

All though a well polished black vehicle is supper sweeeet.

Time for modssssss =]
Yes, first I have to collect and stockpile some coins. But then, it will commence.

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Glad you went through my build thread, hope it gave you some ideas.

If it is legal in Philly, I would get that thing tinted!

You can also do a lot with the silver, especially color wise in my opinion on the emblems and so forth.

Don't forget about Sure Motorsports and James Barone for aftermarket parts. I choose the James Barone RSB over the CorkSport after reading some others experiences on it. Even if most of my car is CorkSport stuff, I want it to have the best.

Since you have the MT, may look into getting some parts to really make that shifting nice and smooth.

Also about the warranty, most of the stuff you can get from CorkSport and others wont really void the warranty. Many are very well tested and will improve the car. A dealer can not legally just void your warranty because you have an aftermarket part on it, they have to prove that the part you installed caused the failure of the system. I have the RSB on my car and recently took my car in because of some suspension squeaks, I thought it was the shocks, but it was the End Links on the RSB, they fixed it for me for free since it took like 10 minutes. But reminded me that if it happens again on a major scale, to either try to fix it yourself or throw the stock RSB back on the car before you bring it in.
Just don't go throwing a turbo on it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome Very nice looking ride Love the color choice!
Also, I forgot to mention that I must have seen your build thread, in addition to http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/m3r-rides-meets-pics/8935-flakos-mazda-3-i-sport.html (where my idea on the 2011 MS3 rims as the size and style I wanted was confirmed)

You have the same tinting that I had on the Miata. Thanks to your photos, I now know that it will look good on this one too.

Yours was also helpful for the HIDs should I choose to do them.

I am really glad you like my build so far. WELCOME!! look forward to seeing your build soon.
Thanks, I did!:yes:

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Welcome! Nice pictures and ideas/mod list going. Seems like you have a healthy list of plans. Not really much else you can do besides the things mentioned maybe audio equipment if you are in to that or vinyl wrap and such, side skirts, mud flaps if you like the look, windows visors, lip kit, etc..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum!

Glad you went through my build thread, hope it gave you some ideas.

If it is legal in Philly, I would get that thing tinted!

You can also do a lot with the silver, especially color wise in my opinion on the emblems and so forth.
I was thinking like black emblems, front and back; behind front emblem would be liq silver. MS3 rims would be like a pure white or like highlighter orange.:yes:

Edit: I got a quote like 2.5 wks back on tints. Any % possible, $260 for whole car w/ lifetime warranty. Locally reputable guy, did my HT rear window for the miata.

Don't forget about Sure Motorsports and James Barone for aftermarket parts. I choose the James Barone RSB over the CorkSport after reading some others experiences on it. Even if most of my car is CorkSport stuff, I want it to have the best.

Since you have the MT, may look into getting some parts to really make that shifting nice and smooth.

Also about the warranty, most of the stuff you can get from CorkSport and others wont really void the warranty. Many are very well tested and will improve the car. A dealer can not legally just void your warranty because you have an aftermarket part on it, they have to prove that the part you installed caused the failure of the system. I have the RSB on my car and recently took my car in because of some suspension squeaks, I thought it was the shocks, but it was the End Links on the RSB, they fixed it for me for free since it took like 10 minutes. But reminded me that if it happens again on a major scale, to either try to fix it yourself or throw the stock RSB back on the car before you bring it in.
Just don't go throwing a turbo on it...
I will have to look in to those topics, thanks for the heads up!

Welcome! Nice pictures and ideas/mod list going. Seems like you have a healthy list of plans. Not really much else you can do besides the things mentioned maybe audio equipment if you are in to that or vinyl wrap and such, side skirts, mud flaps if you like the look, windows visors, lip kit, etc..
True. maybe maybe side skirts, maybe mud flaps. No wraps though, and considering that my miata had no radio towards the end, the stock head unit is a great improvement:tongue:

Welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Welcome to the forum 12_M3_HB! Nice looking LSM 3 you got and nice plans. If you have any questions feel free to ask us here! BTW RWD conversion is quite possible in the near future. Im in the talks with lots of companies for parts and AWD and RWD have been brought up. Join M3R on FB as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the forum 12_M3_HB! Nice looking LSM 3 you got and nice plans. If you have any questions feel free to ask us here! BTW RWD conversion is quite possible in the near future. Im in the talks with lots of companies for parts and AWD and RWD have been brought up. Join M3R on FB as well
That'd be a really fun car to drive (RWD); I've never driven an AWD vehicle.

Welcome! Glad I could provide some inspiration for your car! It seems that you have done your HW on the direction you want to go.
Thanks, I was lurking for awhile before posting, so it gave me some time to read up a little. I just want it to be aesthetically clean looking. Nothing overdone, though. I want to keep it a presentable and somewhat professional. Key word: tasteful

Thanks for the welcomes everybody!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts