2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

What kind of synthetic motor oil do you use?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone run Amsoil in the car/is interested in it?

I started changing oil with this stuff in all my cars, it really makes a difference compared to hydrocracked group iii synthetic oils (mobil 1)..

I think it's one of the best 100% synthetic oils on the market today.. it's lame that synthetic oils don't have to be 100% synthetic to be called "fully synthetic"

I thought I'd add a poll to see what kind of oils people are using

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ran Amsoil and then went to Mobil One and then I am back to Amsoil. Its a pain having it shipped but I do believe to be the best oil on the market! I use their gear lube as well. They make great products!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran Amsoil and then went to Mobil One and then I am back to Amsoil. Its a pain having it shipped but I do believe to be the best oil on the market! I use their gear lube as well. They make great products!
+1, let me know if you ever need a hook up for anything they have!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'll bite. How much is six quarts of the the 0-20.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have Amsoil in my bike, the guy I take my bike to has seen everything and he swears up and down by it. Never really thought about putting it in the car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is my second vehicle I have used Amsoil in. I agree about the pain in having the oil shipped, as well as the additional expense. I usually order 3 oil changes worth of oil at a time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oop I haven't checked this thread for a while -

the difference with amsoil is that it is 100% fully synthetic, unlike Mobil 1 fully synethic. Synthetic oils are classed differently, with Amsoil being in the group 4 fully synthetic.

i have a dealer account, so i can get special pricing for it. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
amsoil is all i use, i recently tore down a 2000 camaro that had a worked ls1, and 200K miles that motor had amsoil since new, the heads, cam, rods and crank were amazingly clean the owner told me that he had not changed the oil in 2 years and raced it every friday (11.0 car)

next i tore down a friends 2002 camaro that only had 50K miles stock everything and he used mobil1 every 5k miles. the cam bearings were shot, the cyl. walls were heavily worn. the 2002 was babied never ran "too hard"

in my personal experence i used to use mobil1 due to cost, however that was before i found out that you can go 1 year or 25K miles with amsoil. you can even send your oil out to be tested to see if it has broken down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's all about Marketing..and what Oil Marketing gimick grabs you...The Royal Purple Marketing grabbed me 1st..who knows, 7k miles later..the Amsoil Gimick may grab me..then Mobil-1 ??

But going on the Royal Purple Website, just by the way they make their Oil Filters drew me to use Ryl-Purp products.....

For now....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol it's not marketing.. look up actual oil analysis results and you'll see the diff. Mobil 1 is marketing, they call themselves fully synthetic when they actually aren't

·
Registered
28 Posts
lol it's not marketing.. look up actual oil analysis results and you'll see the diff. Mobil 1 is marketing, they call themselves fully synthetic when they actually aren't
Of course it's Marketing..what makes you buy the stuff you buy ??

Yes, I did hear the Same about Mobil-1

I think one of the only "Truly Man-Made Synthetic" is the Jap Oil Eneos..cause over in the Land of the rising Sun...when they say "Synthetic", they have to mean it.

For now I'll stick with Royal Purple 5w-20 for the Winter...10-30 Summer

Then again you can punch up what oil you're interested in using on "YouTube",and you'll get evey Auto oil company out there telling you that their oil is the Best..so how do you choose ??,,,you choose by whatever compay's Marketing Bullshit you tend to believe..for the 1st 7k miles..I'm believeing Royal Purples Bullshit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
All of Amsoil's claims are backed by actual analysis. So that is the difference. There is marketing and then there is marketing that is backed by empirical evidence. Amsoil is a truly man made synthetic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. Well I can say I am biased alot since I've been a lifetime Amsoil dealer since around 85 and have used quite a few of the products personally and have been more than satisfied. I don't sell the products much, but use them myself and save a little money along the way. Al believes in R&D and backs it up with continuous product improvement. Without question I will be using Amsoil in my new 3 without the slightest concern about what the competing brands are doing. At this point in time I would have to say most of the synthetic oils are far superior to conventional petroleum based oils.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw that no one had posted a vote for Eneos oil, in fact I didn't even know what it was so I ordered some 5w-30 up and am going to see how it goes. I've been using Royal Purple 5w-30 without any problems and like the consensus seems to be as long as it's a fully synthetic oil the brand doesn't really matter. So I will give this JDM stuff a shot and post back. It's also cheaper than royal purple @ $6.99 per quart.

·
Registered
278 Posts
AMSOIL has come up when I'm researching the best oil for my car. I've always wondered if it should be called SCAMSOIL. From my research AMSOIL sounds like it's a quality product sold like Amway.
However, I'm uncofmortable keeping any oil in my car no matter how good it is for more than 7.500 miles for synthetic or 5,000 miles for conventional oil. Yes, I'd try AMSOIL and run it for 7,500 if I thougt the cost was worth it and it was better than Mobil 1. However, Mazda reccomends against synthetic in their cars and it voids the warranty. Yes, folks are running synthetic in Mazda's and still getting warranty work done but it's not worth the risk to me.
So I put in a conventional oil that meets API and other standards. I prefer Castrol GTX but am ok if my mechanic dealer put in a good oil like Penzoil, Valvoline, Mobil.
The best explanations I've heard are that Mazda uses very narrow passages in the engine and requires the conventional oil. Though you'd think synthetic would flow better even in narrow passages. The other explanation is that the engine needs to be broken in on conventional since a Mazda engine isn't built to the same tolerances of a Porsche or Corvette engine that ship with synthetic from the factory.
For me, it's enough that synthetic voids the factory warranty to stick with conventional. I have changed to 5,000 mile oil changes for the 3,000 mile I did in my last two cars. Better oils and better engines and Mazda no longer reccomending 3,000 mile oil changes was enough to change my mind. And I'm happy to save the money and put less used oil out for recycling.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.