2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to give my 3s GT that extra kick the factory Bose sub doesn't have. I'm not looking for ear shattering, just something to put out that extra background base the factory system is missing. Are there any amplified subwoofer boxes that anyone would recommend? Looking for a single 10" with around 500 watts max. I would like a setup that has quick releases for the wiring so it's easy to remove if I need the extra storage space. I've been out of the car audio scene for 5+ years so I really don't have a clue what's good out there anymore.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I had a 500w MTX 12" low profile sub (+ amp under seat) installed in my cx-5 with the same bose system. It gives enough bass to pump even at high speed with windows lowered, but not so much that it's obnoxious or making my shit rattle, or requiring a capacitor. In my case I had a custom box built into the spare tire area. I don't carry a spare for local driving and I pay for roadside on my insurance so I will sure as hell use it instead of getting creamed trying to change a tire on the motorway; so this is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Extra Kick

As much as I wanted to replace the whole stereo system, issues with Bluetooth / steering wheel etc and the fact Im giving this car to my wife next year I finally decided to go on the cheap.

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure: Car Electronics
-
I was going to just do Speaker level but figured for the extra $40

PAC AOEM-MAZ2 (aoemmaz2) Interface that Allows Replacement or

Then picked up a Scosche 8 gauge copper amp install kit. $25

I plan to run the wires through the console, under carpet, to the back hatch.

Also putting a small 120v invertor back there for charging my laptop and tools ect.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
As much as I wanted to replace the whole stereo system, issues with Bluetooth / steering wheel etc and the fact Im giving this car to my wife next year I finally decided to go on the cheap.

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure: Car Electronics
-
I was going to just do Speaker level but figured for the extra $40

PAC AOEM-MAZ2 (aoemmaz2) Interface that Allows Replacement or

Then picked up a Scosche 8 gauge copper amp install kit. $25

I plan to run the wires through the console, under carpet, to the back hatch.

Also putting a small 120v invertor back there for charging my laptop and tools ect.
How does that sound?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Installation was kind of a hassle - I went under the center console and the carpet was tight. But I would do it again.

I was disappointed the PAC AOEM as actually only a line converter - for some reason I thought it was able to get a line level out - If i had to-do it again I would just use the Speaker level inputs on the RF unit but I would still pull signal from behind the head unit.

Sound quality - 100% "better" - I keep the stock stereo setting all at Zero - Bass Treble boost etc. The RF comes with a Bass Level knob I mounted next to the steering wheel.

It rumbles the car pretty good showing the Mazda weaknesses. Poor insulation, loose rattling plastics. I had to tighten the bolts on the rear spoiler. Use rubber insulators on some plastic snaps. Shakes the windshield, rear-view and side mirrors and my sunglasses rattle. My Radar Detector is taking a beating.

"Good cush and alcohol" really gets the whole car buzzing. I had some girls in the back and got some big smiles and wows out of them.

Dre and Dubstep is good. Heavy Rock OK, radio is not great.

If turned up too loud I think the stock stereo attenuates the bass -that's sad - So I cant play too high or bass suffers and muddies. damn convertor.

Boom is good for what it is - Punch is OK. Basically it make the stock system acceptable. Cant beat the price

1 - 7 of 7 Posts