2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to share my installation of Aura OPT7 ambient light LED strips that I got from Amazon. Available on Amazon . They are RGB and have options for fuse tapping as well. I have commented the pictures so they should be sufficient. I used fuse #11 since that one turns on/off with the car. I have included a wiring diagram from the manufacturer as well in the last attached image. I will update this post with slightly more details!

Step0.jpg
LED Box

Step1.jpg
Fuse panel on the 2014 M3 sGT

Step2.jpg
Step3.jpg
Step4.jpg
Step5.jpg
Step6.jpg
Step7.jpg
Step8.jpg
Step9.jpg
Step10.jpg
Step11.jpg
Step12.jpg
Step13.jpg
Step14.jpg
TCompleted_driver.jpg
TCompleted_passenger_control.jpg
TCompleted_passenger.jpg
TCompleted_Rear.jpg
TStep_Complete1.jpg
TStep_Complete2.jpg
TStep_Complete4.jpg
TStep_Complete5.jpg
TStep_Complete6.jpg
Wiring.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I consider to buy it, but some people complaining about the controll box in amazon. It is change mods and colors random. What about your stuff? Is it works well?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for sharing. I consider to buy it, but some people complaining about the controll box in amazon. It is change mods and colors random. What about your stuff? Is it works well?
I read about those as well but it seems like only a few people had that issue. Mine has been working as expected. Doesn't change colors randomly or anything. These lights are on at least 2 hours a day for my roundtrip commute without any issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have this kit. I had problems with the control box shifting modes and colors at random. I contacted Opt7 and they sent me a replacement box. I've had virtually no problems since. I think part of the issue is the infrared receiver sometimes interprets spurious signals as a command to change the mode. I also have a buddy with the same system, and was able to get my lights to change mode with his remote from his car.

The only other complaint I have is that the remote doesn't like the cold... I'm in MI, and I have to warm up the remote a little bit before it will start to work. Probably a battery issue more than anything else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great writeup!

Car feels very dark now, seems like a pretty easy way to address that.

Are you able to adjust the brightness, seems pretty blinding from your pics, I'd prefer it to be soft and ambient

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great writeup!

Car feels very dark now, seems like a pretty easy way to address that.

Are you able to adjust the brightness, seems pretty blinding from your pics, I'd prefer it to be soft and ambient
nevermind,

all I had to do was look at the remote, there is a dimmer function

ALL GOOD!
Seems like found your answer! Yeah, these can def go bright. I believe I had it on brightest setting in the pictures. But for daily nighttime use, I keep it at a subtle glow. Gives the cabin a nice welcoming effect. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Goodness, got stuck on the very first step.
Any tips on how to loosen the ground bolt for the negative wire?
Oh yeah! I remember that. I had to use a socket wrench to loosen it. It was very easy with it. Not sure what size I used, I had a set and just used one that fit. Mazda really tightened that bolt! I thought it was just on my car. Haha. Hope this helps. And you don't need to remove the entire bolt, just loosen it enough to slip the ground wire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you know if there happens to be a fuse that is connected to the map lights?
There is a fuse (#5) for the map lights/house lights but it is unfortunately in the engine bay. I initially wanted to do that but just didn't want to run wires from the engine to inside the car. Looked complicated and didn't find much help on doing that. Opted going for a fuse that was inside the car.

Is this for the auxiliary wire that turns on white light when the door opens?

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is a fuse (#5) for the map lights/house lights but it is unfortunately in the engine bay. I initially wanted to do that but just didn't want to run wires from the engine to inside the car. Looked complicated and didn't find much help on doing that. Opted going for a fuse that was inside the car.

Is this for the auxiliary wire that turns on white light when the door opens?
Yeah, that wire. What I was planning to do was to use it as a source for some white LED strips installed in the footwell, since I don't really see a use for the footwell LED other than that, and cause I would use the light if I dropped something on the floor.

That way, if i turned on the map lights, it would activate footwell etc, and then the footwells would turn on when the doors open so no one steps on anything of the floor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted to give an update on the control box issues: the replacement control box and remote that Opt7 sent me continue to work with no problems. As for finding things lost on the floor: I keep an aviation flashlight in the center console for just that eventuality!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wanted to give an update on the control box issues: the replacement control box and remote that Opt7 sent me continue to work with no problems. As for finding things lost on the floor: I keep an aviation flashlight in the center console for just that eventuality!
That's good to hear. Mine is working good as well! Haha, I just use my phone flashlight for that ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey, just in the middle of installing this in my '16... how does your music function work? mine just turn off when i try to activate music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
is this the same as this: https://www.ledunderbody.com/4pc-7-color-led-car-interior-lights/

i've been wanting to do this for ages but my wiring skills are complete shite. the expandable circuit options and stuff makes me a little wary about ordering them from the US just in case i needed something else. all i'm looking is for the lights to come on when 1) headlights come on 2) doors are open

1 - 20 of 45 Posts