2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone here has tried any other transmission fluids in their 3's?

Came across this on RockAuto and the website says it's compatible with Mazda ATF FZ.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
multi-vehicle ATF is a bad idea. all transmissions are very picky about their oil and an automatic even more so. each fluid out there has its specs and these multi-use fluids try to cover them all. as a result, it's only on paper. let's say you go to a restaurant and order a plate of fries and ask for gravy on them. your order comes out with gravy and ketchup. technically, your order has been filled....this is how multi-use ATF works.

whatever you might save on a different fluid is pointless if you factor in a premature transmission failure. do the job right and get the proper fluid or don't bother doing it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The 6AT in your vehicle represents the single most expensive component, in practice (as engines are generally more durable and most often "go-the-distance"). I agree with the above-two posters. Why would you chance it? U are fussing about cents when dollars are at stake.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
plus that OEM brand stuff is well known to be a bottom feeder for quality....it's a cheap fluid, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fresh OEM fluid is better then some random ass one size fits all lube.
I don’t know why you’d want to use anything else, to be honest with you.
The 6AT in your vehicle represents the single most expensive component, in practice (as engines are generally more durable and most often "go-the-distance"). I agree with the above-two posters. Why would you chance it? U are fussing about cents when dollars are at stake.
The issue currently is that I live 3 hours away from a Mazda dealership. I'm currently in the boonies not by choice. If any of those fluids are easy to source and compatible then I would get it. I've got a wally world, canadian tire, bumper to bumper, and a franchise Napa in my area.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The issue currently is that I live 3 hours away from a Mazda dealership. I'm currently in the boonies not by choice. If any of those fluids are easy to source and compatible then I would get it. I've got a wally world, canadian tire, bumper to bumper, and a franchise Napa in my area.
No excuse these days. Internet order it. A trans fluid change isn't something so critical that it can't wait for a bit until your order comes in.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
multi-vehicle ATF is a bad idea. all transmissions are very picky about their oil and an automatic even more so. each fluid out there has its specs and these multi-use fluids try to cover them all. as a result, it's only on paper. let's say you go to a restaurant and order a plate of fries and ask for gravy on them. your order comes out with gravy and ketchup. technically, your order has been filled....this is how multi-use ATF works.

whatever you might save on a different fluid is pointless if you factor in a premature transmission failure. do the job right and get the proper fluid or don't bother doing it.
Yes and no on that statement. For honda and many GM, dodge, transmissions. Amsoil ATF is like an answered prayer over the oem. On modern cars, it's really only in cases where the manufacture didn't spec right which is a lot more rare now than it used to be. also, most oem fluids come from multi-vehicle transmission fluids that happen to meet the manufacture spec.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes and no on that statement. For honda and many GM, dodge, transmissions. Amsoil ATF is like an answered prayer over the oem. On modern cars, it's really only in cases where the manufacture didn't spec right which is a lot more rare now than it used to be. also, most oem fluids come from multi-vehicle transmission fluids that happen to meet the manufacture spec.
Too bad (not really) your highmileage testing is exclusive to the manual transmission.
If your 220k+miles were on stock fill of ATX fluid, and I mainly did highway miles, I would omit changing out the fluid.

Planning to do a few drain/fills with our auto tranny before 60k miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wondering if anyone here has tried any other transmission fluids in their 3's?

Came across this on RockAuto and the website says it's compatible with Mazda ATF FZ.

Aisin part number ATF-MFZ. this replaces Mazda part number 0000-FZ-113E01 and nothing else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No excuse these days. Internet order it. A trans fluid change isn't something so critical that it can't wait for a bit until your order comes in.
I wish it was that easy. POL aren't allowed to be sent to the post office. If it's not critical then I'll have to wait it out and make a big shopping trip the city. Hoooray for living in the boonies.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Search for the part number to find cheaper alternatives. 0000-FZ-113E-01
CK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts