2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The piano black is kind of a pain and scratches/smudges easily. I considered wrapping it or paying someone to wrap it. Even though a few members have posted great step by step instructions on wrapping, it's a little scary to rip apart a brand new car. I also didn't like the idea of center console maybe not matching the trim on doors. I found these kits on Amazon. They are metal, not plastic, and fit perfectly. Most places cheap out on tape quality, so I added 3M 1/4in Exterior Attachment Tape to fill in some of the gaps on the back of pieces. You can find the tape also on Amazon for I believe around $7. Clean current trim with supplied wipes, wait 5 mins, peel off all the tape strips, and install right on top of original trim. Apply pressure for 2 mins back and forth and good to go. I'm paranoid, so over the course of the day I put some interior detailer on a microfiber towel and repeated the applying pressure a few times. It's a tight fit on center console at the rear, you will want to spread the sides of console a tiny bit or may scratch the console. If do scratch it, it's hidden when lid is closed. It's been a few days and I'm happy with it and think it looks better and definitely doesn't smudge or scratch as easy.
Screenshot_20200814-174020.png
Screenshot_20200814-174119.png

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchase a set off Taobao and it's literally the same thing but 100x cheaper since you're buying from the actual manufacturer (I think)
It only cost me around $40aud for the centre console and all the side doors.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3 Premium Plus Turbo
74 Posts
The piano black is kind of a pain and scratches/smudges easily. I considered wrapping it or paying someone to wrap it. Even though a few members have posted great step by step instructions on wrapping, it's a little scary to rip apart a brand new car. I also didn't like the idea of center console maybe not matching the trim on doors. I found these kits on Amazon. They are metal, not plastic, and fit perfectly. Most places cheap out on tape quality, so I added 3M 1/4in Exterior Attachment Tape to fill in some of the gaps on the back of pieces. You can find the tape also on Amazon for I believe around $7. Clean current trim with supplied wipes, wait 5 mins, peel off all the tape strips, and install right on top of original trim. Apply pressure for 2 mins back and forth and good to go. I'm paranoid, so over the course of the day I put some interior detailer on a microfiber towel and repeated the applying pressure a few times. It's a tight fit on center console at the rear, you will want to spread the sides of console a tiny bit or may scratch the console. If do scratch it, it's hidden when lid is closed. It's been a few days and I'm happy with it and think it looks better and definitely doesn't smudge or scratch as easy.
View attachment 278260 View attachment 278261
So how are they holding up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
They look good! Also wondering how they are holding up?

·
Registered
74 Posts
They look good! Also wondering how they are holding up?
Well I got tired of waiting for a response so I pulled the trigger on the stainless black. Free returns so if I dont like it in person or it craps out before 30 days its going back. Especially if it scratches easy. (will not permanently secure within the 30 days either, lay painters tape over existing plastics). Window switches here this weekend. Center console may 23rd. updates and pics to follow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ok so I just dry fit the first piece and...decided immediately that I was keeping them. I had A few co-workers check out the interior for anything that looked out of place, didn’t tell them what I did. Lol they actually thought the piano black around the shifter didnt feel right and should be like the doors. (Console and other pieces haven’t arrived yet). I guess thats a good sign. Definitely steps up the luxury finish of the interior IMO. I’ll post more pics when other pieces arrive.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well I got tired of waiting for a response so I pulled the trigger on the stainless black. Free returns so if I dont like it in person or it craps out before 30 days its going back. Especially if it scratches easy. (will not permanently secure within the 30 days either, lay painters tape over existing plastics). Window switches here this weekend. Center console may 23rd. updates and pics to follow.
A question: Does the center piece have the shift label (PRND) on them?
Thx.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A question: Does the center piece have the shift label (PRND) on them?
Thx.
The centerpiece is cut out around the shift label area. That piece is not currently installed I won’t receive it for approximately 10 more days I will post more pics as the parts come in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok so I just dry fit the first piece and...decided immediately that I was keeping them. I had A few co-workers check out the interior for anything that looked out of place, didn’t tell them what I did. Lol they actually thought the piano black around the shifter didnt feel right and should be like the doors. (Console and other pieces haven’t arrived yet). I guess thats a good sign. Definitely steps up the luxury finish of the interior IMO. I’ll post more pics when other pieces arrive. View attachment 282178 View attachment 282179 View attachment 282180

I once bought these overlays, but this tape stinks terribly and then these overlays are too small and do not work well .. I do not recommend

·
Registered
74 Posts
I once bought these overlays, but this tape stinks terribly and then these overlays are too small and do not work well .. I do not recommend
Mine as you can see in the pics fit perfect and the 3m tape shouldn’t and doesn’t have a smell. I guess it all depends on the manufacture or batch. Sorry to hear that, However that is also why I made sure that they were returnable. Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maybe there was a batch, because when I ordered it came too small and did not match.
I disassembled these panels and covered them with 3m 2080 foil in black gloss

1 - 11 of 11 Posts