2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I just checked with my local dealer for a price to install the mud flaps. Car is white and tend to spray some mud one sides on rainy day. Will get even worst during winter.

To make a short story they charge 230$ for the set which can hardly get crazier.

Anyone tried or found altervatives? I know you can buy some for 40$ on ebay but I'm worried they will not fix well. Also saw the rally version but I'm not into rally parts.

Anyone tried or have other options?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
104 Posts
As you mentioned there are a couple of different sets on eBay that are cheaper but you would have to get them painted. I'm going to order a set and try em to see how they fit.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hello guys,

I just checked with my local dealer for a price to install the mud flaps. Car is white and tend to spray some mud one sides on rainy day. Will get even worst during winter.

To make a short story they charge 230$ for the set which can hardly get crazier.

Anyone tried or found altervatives? I know you can buy some for 40$ on ebay but I'm worried they will not fix well. Also saw the rally version but I'm not into rally parts.

Anyone tried or have other options?

Thanks for your help
They are not difficult to install yourself. The front ones are very easy. The back ones require a little more finesse because you have to trim the liner in a couple of spots and temporarily pull the liner away from the body slightly. I'm used to this stuff and it took me less than half an hour to install all four. You can certainly do the fronts yourself. Just remember to turn the steering wheel to give yourself room. The instructions that come with the flaps are very detailed. For the backs, just go to any mechanic or friend and they can help or do it cheaply if you can't do it yourself.

Personally, I do agree with you that the Rally Armor and other truck like flaps are ugly on this car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just my 2 cents... I have the OEM "splash guards", paid the ridiculous dealer supply + install price and I have to say, they are useless, absolutely useless. I bought for same reason as you, mud spraying on sides and they haven't made an ounce of difference as far as I'm concerned. I mean how could they being so small? Proper aftermarket mudflaps might not look great but they will be far more functional if that's what you really want out of them.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Just my 2 cents... I have the OEM "splash guards", paid the ridiculous dealer supply + install price and I have to say, they are useless, absolutely useless. I bought for same reason as you, mud spraying on sides and they haven't made an ounce of difference as far as I'm concerned. I mean how could they being so small? Proper aftermarket mudflaps might not look great but they will be far more functional if that's what you really want out of them.
From a functional standpoint, the OEM flaps have done a good job for me. They do deflect rocks and heavy mud from hitting the side of the car, but do not deflect some of the lighter spray. Again, the aftermarket flaps are more functional, but they just don't fit with the design of the car. If you have aftermarket wheels with some poke, the OEM flaps will not do nearly as well. If your aftermarket wheel has a 40 offset you'll have 10mm of poke and that is enough to defeat the OEM flaps which are designed for the standard wheels and tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From a functional standpoint, the OEM flaps have done a good job for me. They do deflect rocks and heavy mud from hitting the side of the car, but do not deflect some of the lighter spray. Again, the aftermarket flaps are more functional, but they just don't fit with the design of the car. If you have aftermarket wheels with some poke, the OEM flaps will not do nearly as well. If your aftermarket wheel has a 40 offset you'll have 10mm of poke and that is enough to defeat the OEM flaps which are designed for the standard wheels and tires.
I have a +35 offset and my OEM splashguards just came in. I'll be updating to see how it goes, seems like its just about right but I dont know how its going to fare with heavy debris.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Nevermind, nice style to it but it barely covers anything.
Like I said in my previous post, if you increase the poke over stock the OEM guards won't protect much. With your ET35's, you're already +15mm poke and if you go with a width beyond 215, it pokes even more. That's easily enough to defeat the OEM's. Your only option is to go with those big and ugly truck like flaps like Rally Armor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts