2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother's '12 Mazda 3 Skyactiv has almost breached the 30,000 mile mark. It is recommended for most vehicles that their transmission fluid be flushed at this mark. I was thinking about doing a drain and fill now, and then another drain and fill after 5000-7000 miles.

Good or bad idea? Should we just leave it alone, or do it and get newer fluid in there? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I believe the sky's you can go up to 100k miles before changing but if that's the case, I would do it at 50k if you want some peace of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I changed min at 40k and I will be doing a drain and fill again at 60, 90, 120k etc . I think it is worth the peace of mind and lets face it, this is a new transmission and we do not know how time will treat it. Better to just do the fluids in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
What is the worst that can happen? You spend some money on keeping your car maintained. I just did my Transmission fluid in my car and it also feels way better than before. I used Redline.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Which fluid did you use and how many quarts?
Thanks
I would get the FZ fluid from Mazda - the service bulletin/ manual specifically says to use it. It is much thinner than regular ATF. You would use ~3.5-4 quarts. The fluid is about 15 bucks a quart at the dealer. Call ahead before you go though because they don’t tend to keep much of it in stock. I am a huge Amsoil user but I went with Mazda on this one because the stuff is different.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's an automatic, and I own a Volvo S80 that just needed a transmission rebuild by Triple Edge Performance. That's why I was all over my brother telling him he better take care of his car! He cares a lot about the exterior, but I try reminding him about the mechanical maintenance also. There's only so much he can do in mechanical terms, so I don't mind helping him =p

Would you mind checking out our other thread regarding some CorkSport SRI issues?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts