2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my alloy wheels is showing possible signs of corrosion, strange bubbling has appeared on several of the spokes. The other three seem OK. Garage agreed that i should have a warranty claim but said to wait until next service (Jan 17), in case others start to show signs. This also happens to be the end of 3 year warranty anyway. Just wondered if anybody else has had similar issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you drive on salted roads in the winter? That type of corrosion is common here in Canada if alloys are used all year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of my alloy wheels is showing possible signs of corrosion, strange bubbling has appeared on several of the spokes. The other three seem OK. Garage agreed that i should have a warranty claim but said to wait until next service (Jan 17), in case others start to show signs. This also happens to be the end of 3 year warranty anyway. Just wondered if anybody else has had similar issue.

I have exactly the same. Live in Scotland.

covered under warranty however the dealership doesnt see it as a priority. reported 27 Jan 16, still waiting for them to replace the wheels.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just noticed several small patches on the front alloys. My dealer is going to send photos to Mazda for a warranty claim. My car is Japanese made and is only 15 months old. I've always kept the wheels clean and living in Hampshire UK we don't get much salt on the roads. This is quite disappointing on a a new car. Is such corrosion of alloys common on Mazdas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
My previous CX-5 had bubbling on all 4 alloys when I traded it in after 3 years. The dealer replaced the alloys when they put it on the forecourt. My present Cx-5 bought in September 2016 is now showing early signs of the same problem. The only other car I've owned from new that did this was a Fiat Bravo. (That WAS a heap for various reasons). I've always took care in cleaning my alloy wheels.

·
Banned
842 Posts
The OEM wheels were manufactured in at least these 2 countries both Japan and China. You can have a combination even if your MAZDA was manufactured in Japan. You can see this information on the back of the wheel. Most wheels are powder coated which will seal them unlike many painted wheels. Aerobic Corrosion of the type I see pictured needs oxygen access to form. The only way to be able to determine how the corrosion started is to carefully sample the finished material and the corroded materiel itself. This is not a usual warranty part and the reason for the delay may be that the dealership submitted the warranty request claim to MAZDA for replacement authorization because of it being unclear defective. My guess is that the claim will be denied. But I will look forward to reading what happens and hope that maybe the dealership may do a courtesy adjustment?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just noticed several small patches on the front alloys. My dealer is going to send photos to Mazda for a warranty claim. My car is Japanese made and is only 15 months old. I've always kept the wheels clean and living in Hampshire UK we don't get much salt on the roads. This is quite disappointing on a a new car. Is such corrosion of alloys common on Mazdas?
Mazda have now agreed to replace the front alloys on my car which is only 15 months old. This is good service but wheel corrosion should not occur on a nearly new car and indicates a manufacturing problem.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,141 Posts
Cool. Way to step up Mazda.
CK

Reactions: 2017mazda3

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow that is bad. I have Tire rack branded "sport edition" wheels with winter tires. They don't bubble after 3 winters I run them. Tons of salt, snow, and ice exposure.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mazda has now replaced the two front wheels (under warranty) showing signs of corrosion after only one mild winter in Southern England. They were Chinese apparently. That's disappointing design or quality control but at least there was no fuss about replacing them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Mazda replaced two front alloy wheels last July which were showing signs of corrosion. One those front wheels is already corroding again after less than a year despite being kept clean and cleaned in accordance with the handbook. What's wrong with Mazda's alloy wheels these days?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Mazda replaced two front alloy wheels last July which were showing signs of corrosion. One those front wheels is already corroding again after less than a year despite being kept clean and cleaned in accordance with the handbook. What's wrong with Mazda's alloy wheels these days?
Mazda’s unique painting technologies
The Aqua-tech Paint System reduces emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOC) by 78 percent compared to Mazda’s previous oil-based paint systems without increasing energy consumption and associated CO2 emissions. (Our previous paint system was already one of the lowest of any paint system in the world.) Now, with some of the lowest levels of both VOC and CO2 emissions, Mazda’s Aqua-tech is one of the most environmentally friendly automotive paint systems in the world.

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Mazda’s unique painting technologies
The Aqua-tech Paint System reduces emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOC) by 78 percent compared to Mazda’s previous oil-based paint systems without increasing energy consumption and associated CO2 emissions. (Our previous paint system was already one of the lowest of any paint system in the world.) Now, with some of the lowest levels of both VOC and CO2 emissions, Mazda’s Aqua-tech is one of the most environmentally friendly automotive paint systems in the world.
So, what does painting the car body have to do with wheel corrosion?:confused1 1::confused1 1:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alloy road wheels - CORROSION - Mazda 3 Forums UK

i've got mine booked in to be powder coated on monday.
My M3 is four years old now, they did start bubbling whilst under warranty. I figured the replacements would do the same so didn't bother.
The UK hand car washes don't help, they spray harsh chemicals onto your wheels to clean them instead of a bit of elbow grease.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Alloy road wheels - CORROSION - Mazda 3 Forums UK

i've got mine booked in to be powder coated on monday.
My M3 is four years old now, they did start bubbling whilst under warranty. I figured the replacements would do the same so didn't bother.
The UK hand car washes don't help, they spray harsh chemicals onto your wheels to clean them instead of a bit of elbow grease.
I've never used a car wash! I always wash my car and wheels by hand using a quality car shampoo (Mer High Shine). That hasn't prevented the alloys starting to corrode after only just one year.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
So, what does painting the car body have to do with wheel corrosion?:confused1 1::confused1 1:
Most alloy's have a coating .. eg. clear resin/paint and it can wear off. The metallic brake dust can cause a chemical reaction between the iron and the aluminium, hence your wheel corroding.
UV light could also break down the coating, or the wear and tear of driving, will expose the wheel to ever greater causes of corrosion- air, water, salt and reactive chemicals.

It should be covered under the warranty, unless they're scuffed up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts