2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating getting new all-season tires for a few months now, but after a few near death encounters this morning in the snow/ice on the stock Bridgestone Turanza EL-400s, it’s time for them to go.. I have done a good amount of research and had my mind made up until about an hour ago when I talked to an employee at Tire Discounters. I had originally planned on going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (205/55/16), but he suggested that I also look into the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. After some comparisons they seem to go hand in hand with the DWS. I am curious as to what you guys think and if any of you have had any experience with either set of Michelins?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have been contemplating getting new all-season tires for a few months now, but after a few near death encounters this morning in the snow/ice on the stock Bridgestone Turanza EL-400s, it’s time for them to go.. I have done a good amount of research and had my mind made up until about an hour ago when I talked to an employee at Tire Discounters. I had originally planned on going with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (205/55/16), but he suggested that I also look into the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. After some comparisons they seem to go hand in hand with the DWS. I am curious as to what you guys think and if any of you have had any experience with either set of Michelins?
The employee doesn't know what he is talking about if he is suggesting that Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 will do better than DWS in snow. The Pilot will outperform the Conti DWS on dry pavement, but of those 3 tires the DWS will give you the best control in wet, light snow conditions.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The employee doesn't know what he is talking about if he is suggesting that Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 will do better than DWS in snow. The Pilot will outperform the Conti DWS on dry pavement, but of those 3 tires the DWS will give you the best control in wet, light snow conditions.
I think he was talking about as an overall tire, not just in the snow. It seems like everyone on M3R swears by the DWS and it appears to be the popular all-season alternative to the shitty OEM tires, but I wanted to explore my options and get some other people’s opinions before I made a decision. The Michelins do come with a $70 Visa card until 12/2 which is another reason I think he made the suggestion.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think he was talking about as an overall tire, not just in the snow. It seems like everyone on M3R swears by the DWS and it appears to be the popular all-season alternative to the shitty OEM tires, but I wanted to explore my options and get some other people’s opinions before I made a decision. The Michelins do come with a $70 Visa card until 12/2 which is another reason I think he made the suggestion.
I'd say if you only want to run one tire all year and only deal with light/moderate snow, the DWS is your best bet. If you can afford to switch to proper winter tires when the season warrants, I'd get the Michelin Pilots for fair weather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts