2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, Mazda is set to reveal something tomorrow at the NY Auto Show. Its billed as "A New Kind of Mazda" and a "New Way Forward"...some kind of big secret....the only picture is a dark right rear quarter shot of what seems to be a Mazda 3...any ideas?

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, Mazda is set to reveal something tomorrow at the NY Auto Show. Its billed as "A New Kind of Mazda" and a "New Way Forward"...some kind of big secret....the only picture is a dark right rear quarter shot of what seems to be a Mazda 3...any ideas?
Where are you seeing this?

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope it isn't just a rehash of the SA-X motor.....bring on Duran Duran.....:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mazda has hinted at a "Premium Edition" 3 that would be introduced later this year. :dunno:
The header in the teaser says "The Road to Premium". Probably an all new high end car of some sort, electric or hybrid crossover maybe.
How about a new electric Mazda 3 with performance like a Tesla X ? :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope not. The teaser said a "new kind of Mazda", that isn't a new kind of Mazda by any stretch of the imagination , is it ? I mean the diesel has been available for some time now, and the CX-5 is hardly a move towards a new premium type vehicle.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes, It's a CX5, and probably a diesel. Some surprise. Its been listed on their web site as a future offering for quite a while. I hope it's something else.

Fuel economy was announced last year with 31 highway. Poor for a diesel with no more load than that. The only reason I could see for it in the first place was to provide some extra torque vs the base engine.
The turbo has rendered it irrelevant.

·
Registered
988 Posts
"IT WILL MOVE YOU IN A WHOLE NEW WAY"... "Move you" referring to the engine, and the "SKYACTIV" is shaded which most probably is SKYACTIV-X.

So, I'm betting it will be the official release of the SKYACTIV-X with full specs, and not necessarily a brand new car. Either way they are targeting premium so this engine has to perform better than the current 2.5L SKYACTIV-G performance wise and in terms of mileage/fuel consumption.

·
Super Moderator
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes, It's a CX5, and probably a diesel. Some surprise. Its been listed on their web site as a future offering for quite a while. I hope it's something else.
Where? The CX-30 is listed as a future vehicle but nothing else...https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles

"IT WILL MOVE YOU IN A WHOLE NEW WAY"... "Move you" referring to the engine, and the "SKYACTIV" is shaded which most probably is SKYACTIV-X.

So, I'm betting it will be the official release of the SKYACTIV-X with full specs, and not necessarily a brand new car. Either way they are targeting premium so this engine has to perform better than the current 2.5L SKYACTIV-G performance wise and in terms of mileage/fuel consumption.
I don't think so, the badge looks to have a D on it......:eek:hmy 1:
The SA-X won't be ready for months. Still awaiting approval in the US, might not ever happen now if they can't get it past Federal regulations.

I really hope that the Mazda marketing people aren't lame enough to claim that a car that was introduced what, 3 years ago now, and a turbo diesel engine that has been around for even longer is "a new way of moving you"..... and the motoring public isn't that dumb....:surprise:

·
Registered
407 Posts

Its definitely a CX5. Maybe a 2.5 liter X ? That would be interesting. The 2 liter x in the CX5 would be yawn. Still betting it's a diesel though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The CX5 diesel has been removed from their web site where it been listed along with the cx30 as a future offering. It was there a few days ago. Wonder what that means?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Should we be surprised? When they couldn't even announce 2019 delivery dates by the end of 2018, that was a sign. They barely got the 2019 model out before the 2020 builds begin. Then they want to make more promises. They must feel so much pressure from competition to make promises/disclosures they are having difficulty meeting. They are doing this to themselves and as a small manufacturer they have always done better by not too much "multitasking". However, like the 50's-70's in the US when each car model changed every single year, unlike overseas manufacturers, we are now back to that model when every global manufacturer, including high end cars are feeling that pressure to change/upgrade more frequently to keep ahead of the low and mid level car makers with similar options/features.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts