2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I went over a speed bump a couple days ago and all my brake lights and horn stopped working. I had my check engine light, TCS light, and Master warning light come on at same time right after.

All my fuses are good and I replaced the break light switch. Unfortunately those easy fixes did not solve the problem.

Mazda dealership had no idea what was wrong, they wanted to charge me $100+ to replace my 3rd brake light.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas how to figure out what might be wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2015 Mazada 3 Grand touring S that is under limited 60k warranty.

The horn fuse keeps blowing when I tap the brake pedal. When I put in a new fuse the horn works, but as soon as I tap the brake it blows. I went up to a 15 and 20 because I know the bulbs sometimes run hot, but each fuse kept blowing. I replaced the brake switch and no wires were loose or exposed underneath the drivers side.

Don't have the tools to start taking apart the car to see where the short or problem is.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great because someone will charge me a lot for what I think is a simple problem to fix, if I can find it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
There's definitely a ground fault in the wiring for the brake light switch. Or somewhere between that and the lights I should say.

Since you've replaced the switch, I'd try checking the wiring and sockets at the light assemblies. Beyond that, it's in the wires and may not be so easy to track down.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
Hmm, well, the brake light fuse is adjacent to the horn fuse, next slot over. May be a good place to start looking for a loose wire.:dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts