2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2016 sTouring 5-door with 44k miles.

I need an alignment to correct toe wear on tires. I also have a 'cracked' CV boot that should be replaced.

Should the alignment be done after the CV boot is replaced? Or it doesn't matter?

Also, I need to replace two same end of the car tires. Should I save the alignment until after I get the two new tires?

Thanks!

(Back story on the tires - Front and rear are mismatched because I had to replace the rear tires 4k miles ago after one got destroyed against a curb. The front tires, with 12k miles on them, are showing toe wear (particularly on the driver's side) that needs to be corrected. Those are the tires I'm thinking of replacing to match what is on the rear while the rears are still relatively new.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I’m not 100% sure about the CVboot, I’d assume if they have to remove it to place the boot itself, you will want an alignment.

as for the alignment, you will obviously want to correct that toe, but to answer your specific question, you don’t need one for simple tire replacement, usually you only need if you change suspension parts or control arms etc. just because you’re replacing tires (assuming they are the same size) you don’t need a new alignment after those. Also, it is OK to only replace front 2 or rear 2 tires at a time ASSUMING FWD. What usually happened with mine is I would replace front two, then next time I needed tires I’d replace all 4 and repeat. The front tires in FWD get worn out a bit more. If it’s not AWD those rears should still be good (make sure with a tire tech you’re good). If it’s AWD you have to do all 4 tires at once.

hopefully someone else can answer about the boot but assuming you are replacing with the same tires. I wouldn’t worry about needing a 2nd additional alignment just for the tire replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts