2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the IAT reading earlier and I got a constant 40 degree on an average sunny day and I do feel the car being more sluggish when that happens. Can’t imagine what it would be like when it’s actually hot out. So now I’m thinking about adding a heat shield/wrapping the oe airbox. I’m not looking into getting a CAI as I didn’t plan to go that route and got an AEM dry filter. Besides, I’ll eventually have to do the same thing to the CAI anyways.

I’ve never done this before so I’m looking for recommendation from people that have experience. What’s some good material to use for wrapping the intake and what parts do you usually wrap? Is it worth the effort to insulate the oe airbox?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Think I posted my experience... So far lower temps. Slower heat soak. More responsive the car

Before I was always +10 c now Im +5. Substancial gain

Also you will see in the mouth of the airbox right after entrance a filter like mesh. Close it with gorila tape. And use silicone to asemble airbox so its tight no leaks.

Enviado desde mi G3123 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i used the gold mylar tape from Jegs
Looks good. Seems like something I would attempt.

How much improvement does this make after? And did you also tape the pipe from the air box to the throttle body or just the box to the intake opening?

·
Registered
190 Posts
no idea on temp deltas as I have no way to measure at the moment.
I did not sleeve the rubber inlet hose, not yet at least.
I also made a minor mod to the rad cover to allow outside air into the inlet, right above the drivers side horn there is a recess cut into the steel core support, I simply opened up the plastic cover in front of the air inlet to allow outside air in directly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no idea on temp deltas as I have no way to measure at the moment.
I did not sleeve the rubber inlet hose, not yet at least.
I also made a minor mod to the rad cover to allow outside air into the inlet, right above the drivers side horn there is a recess cut into the steel core support, I simply opened up the plastic cover in front of the air inlet to allow outside air in directly
This. I was doing a visual check and noticed there's no direct opening to the mouth of the intake and was wonder where the air comes from but I wasn't really looking hard enough. With this I will take a look again when I get home.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just disconnect the tube from the airbox...

do the work and see the results...

Im pretty sure that a reduction in temp you will feel it. My car became more responsive....

·
Registered
190 Posts
mpp12, what tube? You mean the on that goes to the resonator?
That resonator is there to build torque

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why would I do that?
The helmholtz resonator is there for a reason, if you remove it and dont provide any additional ducting to the outside or the fender area you're just getting hot engine/rad air.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mate, my english is not very good at describing things.

1- take all oem out....desasemble
2- heat shield it
3- where the snorkel goes from the outside and bends down, there is a mesh, seal it with gorilla duct tape.
4- silicone all junctions so all its tight. (the snorkel, airbox, water trap)
5- put it together, and put ALL back in.

6- enyoy less heat soak, less temps.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,274 Posts
Mate, my english is not very good at describing things.

1- take all oem out....desasemble
2- heat shield it
3- where the snorkel goes from the outside and bends down, there is a mesh, seal it with gorilla duct tape.
4- silicone all junctions so all its tight. (the snorkel, airbox, water trap)
5- put it together, and put ALL back in.

6- enyoy less heat soak, less temps.
Is the Mesh for prevention of water being sucked up ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
yes, but the box also has a hole at the bottom, and also a water trap with a little hole on the bottom, unless you put a hose in the mouth of the airbox, wait for the trap to fill, its imposible that water gets to the MAF sensor.

ahhhhhh... there is a charcoal filter in the top of the box... take it out (brake the tabs) some regions dont come with it. no FI lights will come up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
yeah I pulled the charcoal filter as well.
The mesh is in case of ice over, if you live in a climate that gets ice/snow I'd leave it in there. My two cents though.
With the mods I've done there have been no negative effects what so ever.
I cant butt dyno any mods as the car is only a few weeks old and Im still getting used to it lol.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I always thought the OEM airbox does a rather fine job at providing cool air to the intake but this only happens when the car is moving and fresh air is actually hitting the front of the car where the snorkel is. If you're parked, especially with the AC running, of course the intake temps will skyrocket. I've easily gotten mine up to 160F+ but once moving, intake temps always drop to +10F above ambient, which is good. Not sure how much further you can decrease this.

To truly lower intake temps (and not just the airbox / MAF readings) you'd need to insulate the entire intake track as well as the intake manifold. Right now it has HOT radiator heat blowing on it CONSTANTLY. So your attempts to lower the airbox temps seem frugal since the entire intake manifold is SCORCHING HOT and heats that freshly cooled air before it enters the engine.

I'm in for some actual data on the air box insulation. Before / After temp readings would be awesome to see.

·
Registered
190 Posts
wish I had an existing way to measure temps, im sure there is another 3 owner in STL we could team up to measure stock vs. wrapped.

·
Registered
215 Posts
the intake manifold on the engine side has a heat shield...

but could be a good idea to heat shield the outside of the intake manifold

·
Registered
190 Posts
I thought about that as well, haven't come up with a solution I like yet.

What engine side heat shield are you speaking of?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts