2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!

Good day to all! Was searching the net for mods for suspension and bumped with air suspension/bags. Recently, been checking out air suspension system. For those who actually owned a 3 which was bagged, just got some questions here: How much does it cost(US based cost)? Labor plus the equipment itself. What's a good brand between accu-air vs air lift performance (if it is ok to ask it here)? Maintenance-wise? Do you have to get along with leaks or anything? Long term maintenance? Short term maintenance? How long have you had it installed? Was it worthy? How's the ride? If you can include pictures too. Would appreciate that! Thanks i n advance. :grin2:

·
Achtung!
879 Posts

Expect to pay between $3000 and $4000, depending on what air management you go with, and how you choose to proceed with installation.

AccuAir has a lifetime warranty on all products, but AirLift has been around forever and knows their stuff. I've run both and have gone back to AirLift.

A proper install won't leak or cause any issues. I've had mine for 2 years or so, and have had other cars/trucks on air suspension prior. Cold weather maintenance is to make sure that you have watertraps installed and you drain them to prevent your lines freezing. Valves will occasionally stick, as well. Since I'm in the warmer neck of the woods, I basically just have to make sure everything is set up from the get-go.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
That is one great looking car @Loud3. The de-badged rear of your car is super clean looking, and I totally like your car's very dark window tint, though that would get me so busted where I live in the Pacific Northwest -- but so needed where you live.

My wife was a little concerned about its stance driving down the road -- until I explained your air ride system to her, how it works (LOL).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Expect to pay between $3000 and $4000, depending on what air management you go with, and how you choose to proceed with installation.

AccuAir has a lifetime warranty on all products, but AirLift has been around forever and knows their stuff. I've run both and have gone back to AirLift.

A proper install won't leak or cause any issues. I've had mine for 2 years or so, and have had other cars/trucks on air suspension prior. Cold weather maintenance is to make sure that you have watertraps installed and you drain them to prevent your lines freezing. Valves will occasionally stick, as well. Since I'm in the warmer neck of the woods, I basically just have to make sure everything is set up from the get-go.
Nice set-up for your 3! appreciate that. Ya was looking at the air lift performance kit. Right around the cost you said. What air management do you got?Was looking at their site and theres quite a few different air management system. How/where did they put the compressor/tank?

Thanks for sharing :)

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Nice set-up for your 3! appreciate that. Ya was looking at the air lift performance kit. Right around the cost you said. What air management do you got?Was looking at their site and theres quite a few different air management system. How/where did they put the compressor/tank?

Thanks for sharing :)
I use the 3P setup, but have installed the 3H and used the V2 in other vehicles. The V2 is budget friendly and has all the toys, minus presets. 3P has 3 preset pressures that you can hit one button to lift to, drop to. 3H has height sensors that are required, and runs on variable heights instead of pressure within the air bellows.

My tank and compressor are mounted in the rear hatch tucked away. I can still go grab a full hatch full of groceries.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the 3P setup, but have installed the 3H and used the V2 in other vehicles. The V2 is budget friendly and has all the toys, minus presets. 3P has 3 preset pressures that you can hit one button to lift to, drop to. 3H has height sensors that are required, and runs on variable heights instead of pressure within the air bellows.

My tank and compressor are mounted in the rear hatch tucked away. I can still go grab a full hatch full of groceries.
Is there an exact kit for the 3's? Or is it separately sold? Like should you get the V2 system Plus 3H or 3P system? Please excuse my questions.. :) I see that the 3H has more of the bells and whistles compared to the 3P.. is that right?

TY

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Was also wondering about the space of the trunk, good thing you mentioned it too..

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
The management is going to consist of : Air tank. Compressor. Wiring for Compressor. Valve block/controls. Wiring for Valve setup.
Then you pair that with the actual air sleeves/bags/struts via airline.

So, you'll need EITHER the V2 or 3H or 3P, not a combo of any of these.

Example - My setup is...
AirForce Suspension front suspension and AirForce Suspension rear suspension
Airlift 3P paired with a 4 gallon air tank, and an Air Zenith compressor.

There are "Bolt in" complete kits offered by AirForce Suspension and BecauseBags. BecauseBags is a modified and reinforced kit built from AirLift parts. Air Force uses similar parts to overseas providers, like Airrex.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The management is going to consist of : Air tank. Compressor. Wiring for Compressor. Valve block/controls. Wiring for Valve setup.
Then you pair that with the actual air sleeves/bags/struts via airline.

So, you'll need EITHER the V2 or 3H or 3P, not a combo of any of these.

Example - My setup is...
AirForce Suspension front suspension and AirForce Suspension rear suspension
Airlift 3P paired with a 4 gallon air tank, and an Air Zenith compressor.

There are "Bolt in" complete kits offered by AirForce Suspension and BecauseBags. BecauseBags is a modified and reinforced kit built from AirLift parts. Air Force uses similar parts to overseas providers, like Airrex.
Thank you for the response. So your system is comprise not only of air lift performance parts but rather parts from different brands per se?...

So if am planning an air ride system probably I can buy different parts from different brands..

How's the ride? Does it compare to the stock? or better?

Thanks

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Car is currently in 3 or 4 pieces at a friends shop. I'm taking it back to stock and trading it in on a 2017 3 or CX-3 (depends on my mood at date of sale!)

You can definitely use parts from more than one manufacturer. AirLift (to my knowledge) doesn't make any actual air struts/bags for the 3rd generation Mazda 3 - just the first and second generations - so you'll have to source your front struts and rear bags from someone else, like BecauseBags or AirForce.

At ride height, it's like driving in a higher end sedan.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Car is currently in 3 or 4 pieces at a friends shop. I'm taking it back to stock and trading it in on a 2017 3 or CX-3 (depends on my mood at date of sale!)

You can definitely use parts from more than one manufacturer. AirLift (to my knowledge) doesn't make any actual air struts/bags for the 3rd generation Mazda 3 - just the first and second generations - so you'll have to source your front struts and rear bags from someone else, like BecauseBags or AirForce.

At ride height, it's like driving in a higher end sedan.
Kind of off topic, but I always loved your car. Why are you taking it back to stock and trading it in for a newer model if I may ask?

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I always loved your car. Why are you taking it back to stock and trading it in for a newer model if I may ask?
It's a lease, and I didn't like the buy-out option.

The intention was to buy it out at the end of the lease, but not at the price point that they brought to the table.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's a lease, and I didn't like the buy-out option.

The intention was to buy it out at the end of the lease, but not at the price point that they brought to the table.
I'm in the same boat as you were in then. Leasing this guy for 3 years, and now after all these mods, was planning on having to buy it at the end.

Isn't the buyout price the same as the residual value that was agreed upon at the signing of the lease? Did you just need something faster or was the residual value just too high when you signed up for it?

Appreciate the info

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you were in then. Leasing this guy for 3 years, and now after all these mods, was planning on having to buy it at the end.

Isn't the buyout price the same as the residual value that was agreed upon at the signing of the lease? Did you just need something faster or was the residual value just too high when you signed up for it?

Appreciate the info
At lease end, your buyout amount will be equal to or lower than the estimated residual value from lease inception. My source is that I work in finance at a dealership.

Also, I have a complete air ride setup for sale if you're looking around. I had it on my 3 for a few months before turning her back to stock and trading her in. Literally everything you would need at a price point that you'll be pressed to find for just bags and struts.

To answer your original questions, if you're piecing together a brand new kit, expect to invest about $5,000 to $6,000 at least with installation when it's all said and done. I personally went with a more expensive Air Zenith compressor because it's quick and Air Lift V2 management because it's tried and true and simple to work with. Threw an aluminum tank in and even added an accessory line for tools or pumping up tires. Struts and bags from #becausebags :thumbup 1:

To install, I ditched the false floor under the carpet in my trunk and just attached the carpet bit to a wood cutout. Mounted my tank and compressor right up against the back seat and hardly lost any cargo space.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts