2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 AWD HB with <2,000 miles, bought new September 7th (made January 2020 in Japan) My Mazda website says no recalls available.

Took a first real road trip to peep leaves in New Hampshire on Sunday, and the Airbag Malfunction warning came on twice for just a couple seconds then turned off - later in the day - but I thought it was from my wife adjusting in the seat (so the pass. airbag was turning on/off or something).

Today, I drove the 50 miles to work - no warnings. 45 miles to touchless carwash - no warnings. 5 miles to Petsmart - no warnings.

THEN, in the 7.5 miles from Petsmart to Home, the warning came on about 10 times (lost count) for 2 to 15 seconds each time (no other passengers, nothing on seats but me).

I'm going to let it dry out to see if that helps, but it was bone dry on Sunday when the warnings first came on so, I dunno... It's not particularly cool today or warm - high 60's low 70's. I will probably also call the service department to see if there are any TSB's they have.

Not thrilled with this, but we'll see what happens.

Pic for reference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there!

I have a 2019 GT made in Japan and just experienced this issue. I had the car in the shop for a couple of days while they diagnosed the issue. In my case, it only appeared when it was colder outside or when turning right. My dealer finally managed to pull the code and had to send it to Mazda Canada for review.

Just yesterday, I dropped the car off to have an airbag wiring harness rerouted and my drivers curtain airbag replaced after waiting for parts for quite some time. No lights so far. Seems to be working well. Time will tell.

This sounds like a very similar issue. Mazda Canada is aware of the issue - not sure how that translates to the US.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hey there!

I have a 2019 GT made in Japan and just experienced this issue. I had the car in the shop for a couple of days while they diagnosed the issue. In my case, it only appeared when it was colder outside or when turning right. My dealer finally managed to pull the code and had to send it to Mazda Canada for review.

Just yesterday, I dropped the car off to have an airbag wiring harness rerouted and my drivers curtain airbag replaced after waiting for parts for quite some time. No lights so far. Seems to be working well. Time will tell.

This sounds like a very similar issue. Mazda Canada is aware of the issue - not sure how that translates to the US.
Did they have to pull apart your dash to get this done?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there!

Thanks for the input! I'm going to try to call the service folks tomorrow and ask if they have anything on it. I have to do a fair bit of driving tomorrow, so I'll see if I can find something like "turning right" that sets it off... I was focused on tilting down/up left/right when it was happening as I was driving curvy hilly roads...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jesus that gives me anxiety just thinking about them ripping all that out and putting it back together lol
I agree. I have been very stern with them regarding rattles and noises in my interior. I told them to take as much time as the needed as I wanted it done right the first time. So far, no rattles or anything present

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To my knowledge, the dash, a pillar, b pillar and headliner had to be dismantled or brought down to fix it.
Well this doesn’t make me at all nervous. I have zero rattles currently.

I scheduled service for Monday before I left the house today. Warning came up 6 times in the 10 minutes it takes to get to the highway then did not come on at all the rest of the trip (20 minutes highway then 15 minutes back roads). But then it came on again a couple times again on short trips, then again on the drive home.
Only seems to happen on back roads and is MUCH more likely to come on when turning left. Though it did come on when I started the car to drive home. Also, it’s been rainy the last couple days and I’m wondering if there is water trapped somewhere and shorting something as the car moves around.

Really hoping it is something easy to fix and they don’t have to pull apart the interior.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it in this morning. The Airbag Malfunction Warning was for the Driver's Side Curtain Airbag. They have ordered a replacement and will be installing this week.

Meanwhile, I have'21 CX-30 (preferred) as a loaner, and it's fine, but I miss the HUD. Has a softer ride over bumps, which I'm attributing to taller tires. Definitely prefer the 3 though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took it in this morning. The Airbag Malfunction Warning was for the Driver's Side Curtain Airbag. They have ordered a replacement and will be installing this week.

Meanwhile, I have'21 CX-30 (preferred) as a loaner, and it's fine, but I miss the HUD. Has a softer ride over bumps, which I'm attributing to taller tires. Definitely prefer the 3 though.
Lucky! I had a ‘19 CX-3 midrange to drive for a week 🤮. Quite the change from my comfy 3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts