2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for input on oil treated filters such as K&N vs dry flow such as AEM filters. I have been using K&N filters for more than 15 years and have been happy with them. If there is something better out there, I would like to know.

Putting the K&N filter in my 1999 F250, I saw better throttle response and 1mpg improvement in gas mileage. In my 2006 Mercury Mariner, I saw some throttle response and no real improvement in gas mileage.
I have a stock filter on my 1973 Ranchero, no issues with throttle response, and gas mileage we won't talk about.

Thanks Bob

·
Registered
441 Posts
This has been already discussed in a couple different threads. Did you try searching?

I've used K&N's in the past with good luck. There's always potential issues with the filter oil affecting the MAF, so I decided to go with an AEM Dryflow filter for my Mazda 3. I noticed the same kind of throttle response improvements as with a K&N, but no worry about the oil & easier servicing with the AEM. Also found it interesting that K&N bought AEM. Does that tell you something? Hmmm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's been some discussion on this already. Try using the search button to find other threads regarding this. That being said, I have the AEM dry flow and am very happy with it. The main benefit is that you buy one filter for life. I did not notice any change in response or MPG, but I think the intake noise may be slightly louder. These are all subjective (save the MPG) anyways.

Cleaning the dry flow is easier as well. They sell their own cleaning solution or you can use Simple Green (recommended by AEM).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will also do a search, but I was thinking of trying a dry flow this time. I was reaching out for input from people with these cars just to be sure.:smile2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts