2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my A/C was working ok just needed to be recharged before the summer. I decided to vacuum out the system and do a fresh charge. Well its become a huge nightmare.

Factory manual says to charge via the high side (car off) till the low side reaches 14psi. So I vacuumed the system, then connected my can to my manifold set. Then proceeded to open the high side with the car off. Car took in the freon. Never got a bump from the low side gauge. Closed the high side and started the car and then opened to low side. Low side gauge reported 110PSI. Car isn't taken freon in on the low side. Based on weight left in the car I put about 7oz of freon in. Car needs 17.6oz according to the car. The cars ac was working to my surprise but still short on freon. Gauges not moving. Low side reporting 110 PSI and High reporting about 200 psi. A/C working though not full with freon.

Clutch is spinning.

Today decided to re vacuum the system AGAIN. Left the gauges off and checked to make sure I didn't have any leaks for 30 minutes. No problem. Again connected my can up bled the line 5 secs and open the high side. Freon entered the system and the psi was shorter then yesterday. I got to 200 PSI yesterday (car off) and today it was only giving me 125 PSI. Closed the high side. Started the car AC on motor position 4. No cold air at all. Opened the low side and to see if it would pull freon with the car on. It wouldn't pull at all. Low gauge is open and reporting 110 PSI. Its about 80 degrees here.

Wtf gives? I have recharged and vaccumed many many cars never had an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so I vacuumed the lines again. This time I let in freon with the engine off on the low side then the high side. Both sides gave me about 80 PSI. Started engine and ac and then freon PSI went upto 105 PSI on both sides.

Freon is not being pulled into the system. The vacuum is there just the system doesn't pull.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I saw Chris Fix's video on Youtube on how to recharge an AC system properly last week

It seems you already know what you are doing, but maybe the compressor isn't working properly? Can you see if it is engaging?

anyway here's the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdq8JAlct6s

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure whether the compressor is compressing but the clutch is spinning.

I have seen chrisfixs videos, pretty similar attack on my end except for feeding on the high side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I re vacuumed the system yesterday and then again put in charge on the high side with the engine off. I then started the car and turn my air conditioner on and slowly open the low side with freon can dconnecte and the system seem to have taken the correct amount of freon. My AC is working now it showing about 60 degrees on the inside with the thermostat gauge. Still not as cold as remember but working.

I'm thinking of changing the receiver drier and then taking it to a shop to back and fill on my side. I'm having a hell of a time finding a shop that does that locally they all want to diagnose the system first and then charge me for diagnosis plus evacuation and the refilling whic is a huge waste of money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts